Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Tdog

Does it say "Joel Wachs" on those posters or just "Wachs"?

He could  very easily be playing a character based on him called "John Wachs" or "Joe Wachs" or whatever.

Unless PTA is taking a cue from Pynchon and blending reality with fiction.

pynchonikon

wilberfan

More Papy Pics from yesterday's (Saturday, 8/29/2020) shoot.  Includes many spoilery photos, and spoilery description of the scene.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8678253/Bradley-Cooper-rocks-fake-blood-gets-work-70s-era-Paul-Thomas-Anderson-film.html

Text of article:
Spoiler: ShowHide

QuoteBradley Cooper returned to his Jon Peters inspired get-up on Saturday afternoon as he got back to work on a currently untitled Paul Thomas Anderson film.

The 45-year-old actor was clearly having a bloody good time as he strutted around set with fake blood dripping from his face onto his sheer, white peasant blouse. 

Little is known about filmmaker Anderson's latest project except that it is set in LA's San Fernando Valley in the 1970s and centers on a high school student who is also a child actor.

But with the revelation that Cooper's character appears to be a doppelganger for Peters, one might hazard a guess as to his role in the plot.

To fully immerse him into the style of the era, hairstylists on set gave Cooper a shag hairdo and his facial hair was expertly groomed.

He had a silver medallion necklace slung fastened around his neck and his era-approved blouse was buttoned down, revealing his ample chest hair.

Bradley had a on a pair of coordinating white trousers that featured a stylish flared leg and deep pockets in the front.

To complete the retro look, costume designers paired the A Star Is Born director's monochromatic ensemble with some brown point toe boots.

The ominous trail of fake blood migrated from Bradley's forehead to his chest as they carefully filmed various scenes in the area.

With the red liquid dripping down his body, the actor strutted up and down the sidewalk with a gasoline canister in hand.

His pants were visibly torn down one side and though there are no details as to the beat of the day, it appeared to be an intense one.

At one point, Cooper's disheveled character was joined by two actresses donning bright white tennis gear and rackets.

The Hangover actor had to pause his acting briefly to have his dripping blood redone by an on set makeup artist.

She applied the deep red substance to Bradley's face with a pointed paint brush, while donning a face mask and a face shield.

Once his makeup was fixed, Cooper was back in action and was spotted throwing a trashcan near a store window for a scene.

He then was seen kicking over a green newsstand with his psychedelic boots.

Before the bright red blood was applied to his mug, Bradley snuck in a few squeaky clean scenes.

The entire production crew, except the actors, donned full COVID-19 gear and attempted to keep their distance from one another as filming carried on.

Once he wrapped a take, Bradley would make his way over to the camera to watch it back.

He appeared to be discussing his performance with the director and crew before returning to his character and attempting the scene again. 

Anderson's undisclosed project happens to be his fourth movie set in the Valley after Boogie Nights, Magnolia and Punch Drunk Love.

Jon Peters - upon whom Cooper's character appears to be based - was working as a hairstylist at his family's salon on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills when he met Barbra Streisand in 1973, making a wig for her to wear in her comedy 1974 For Pete's Sake.

The two embarked on a relationship that lasted until 1982 during which time Peters developed a career as a producer.

He produced Streisand's studio album Butterfly, released in 1974, and was credited as a producer on her 1976 remake of A Star Is Born.

Cooper, of course, made another remake of A Star Is Born with Lady Gaga in the lead female role in 2018 which earned eight Academy Award nominations. Peters has a producer credit on Cooper's movie since he owns the rights to the 1976 film.

So far, Cooper is the only confirmed star attached to Anderson's new project that's being kept tightly under wraps.

After getting his scenes done for the day, Bradley headed over to his good pal Jennifer Garner's, 48, home in Brentwood for an impromptu visit.

Bradley had on a pair of shades and his hair was pulled back as he pulled into her lavish driveway in his Mercedes G-Wagon.

Chronologically, this scene probably very closely follows the gas station altercation we saw filmed last week.

Alma

Daily Mail articles are always so weirdly written. "Ample chest hair," "she applied the deep red substance to Bradley's face with a pointed paint brush," it's like they get paid by the adjective or something.

wilberfan

As a Location Nerd, I'm impressed by the fact that they found a 70s-era building on Ventura Blvd (surrounded by remodeled storefronts and office buildings--a mere mile-and-a-half from the base camp/crew parking they've been using for several days.  Brilliant.

wilberfan

Huh.  That took longer than I expected.  Wonder if he read it here?  :yabbse-wink:

https://twitter.com/Motto_Panukeiku/status/1300046362134884352

[edit] It was NOT our forum, but another.

axxonn

I assume this is a similar deal to Phantom Thread where there's no distinct cinematographer?

wilberfan

I think that's the consensus opinion at this point.

kingfan011

I know I keep saying this but I am getting so excited for this and the idea he cast one of the Sadfie's in a  major role is so cool.

wilberfan

Quote from: wilberfan on August 30, 2020, 08:15:32 AM
Huh.  That took longer than I expected.  Wonder if he read it here?  :yabbse-wink:

[edit] It was NOT our forum, but another.

OK, now I can relax a little.  It's out there.

https://twitter.com/awards_watch/status/1300110767945969664

ThereWillBeOreos

Anyone else think it's funny that PTA just, hasn't said anything yet and we're all confirming stuff? (Not to complain, just thought it was cool!)

Tdog

Quote from: ThereWillBeOreos on August 30, 2020, 02:24:50 PM
Anyone else think it's funny that PTA just, hasn't said anything yet and we're all confirming stuff? (Not to complain, just thought it was cool!)

I think the lack of official word has just made everyone hungrier.

Alethia

...and I'm getting hungry...

itwasgood

It's like pre-Phantom-Thread era when people were almost convinced the film was based on the life of Charles James.

valhalla

If you squint closely at this alternate poster from a set photo, it indicates that Wachs is running for office in '73. Guess the film is set in 1973.