Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Tdog

Somehow this previously ended up in another users inbox, but Don Cheadle would make a great DJ! Probably because he already played a DJ in "Talk To Me".

jenkins

there might be something like Steven Wright in Reservoir Dogs, but i think mainly what we're looking at here is appropriate background dressing. radio culture was highlighted by OUATIH, and within previous movies such as Model Shop and Targets

Tdog

Quote from: jenkins on August 22, 2020, 02:17:40 PM
there might be something like Steven Wright in Reservoir Dogs, but i think mainly what we're looking at here is appropriate background dressing. radio culture was highlighted by OUATIH, and within previous movies such as Model Shop and Targets

That would be my guess too! A D.J. tends to be a good way to link stories though if PTA is going for the tapestry/kaleidoscope approach.

Alma

I found this image (from the 80s though) of a KMET billboard and a petrol station in the foreground, maybe they're going for something like this.

Tdog

Is this gonna be PTA's "Suburbia" and "Boyhood" and "Dazed and Confused"?

pynchonikon

Quote from: Tdog on August 22, 2020, 02:45:59 PM

I would be a liar if I say I wouldn't be fascinated to watch something between Ridgemont High and Short Cuts, but what I truly wish is to see something fresh and original, not necessarily a big dick epic but a movie that surprises me and makes me feel like "shit I haven't seen this before" in the best way possible. I felt that way with IV (despite having read the novel before watching it), I didn't completely feel that with Phantom Thread (even if objectively speaking it maybe is a better film).

Tdog

Quote from: pynchonikon on August 22, 2020, 06:15:25 PM
Quote from: Tdog on August 22, 2020, 02:45:59 PM

I would be a liar if I say I wouldn't be fascinated to watch something between Ridgemont High and Short Cuts, but what I truly wish is to see something fresh and original, not necessarily a big dick epic but a movie that surprises me and makes me feel like "shit I haven't seen this before" in the best way possible. I felt that way with IV (despite having read the novel before watching it), I didn't completely feel that with Phantom Thread (even if objectively speaking it maybe is a better film).

Yeah if it is an ensemble with multiple storylines it'll be really interesting to see how he approaches it because obviously it won't be Magnolia 2.

If Dylan Tichenor edits it'll be a snappy movie, if it's Leslie Jones it'll be more a slow burn.

Personally I'd like a snappy big dick epic like TWBB.

jenkins

there's no way it would be an impressive endeavor if PTA wrote a high-school boy equivalent of Daniel Plainview. it'd be a Ben Shapiro biopic

you probably mean something about period-specific scope but thematically speaking TWBB is the smallest movie PTA has ever made

Tdog

Quote from: jenkins on August 22, 2020, 07:10:44 PM
there's no way it would be an impressive endeavor if PTA wrote a high-school boy equivalent of Daniel Plainview. it'd be a Ben Shapiro biopic

you probably mean something about period-specific scope but thematically speaking TWBB is the smallest movie PTA has ever made

I meant tone/scope/camera moves/pacing etc.

Not sure how you got from teenage actor to Ben Shapiro.

pynchonikon

Several location pics were posted on Instagram the last hours, some of which claimed they were told there is going to be a filming today (Sunday), probably at evening time (most of them are selfies, but period vehicles can be seen in the background).

wilberfan

Based on the fact that those were taken during daylight on Saturday, I wonder if filming took place that night rather than Sunday? I was going to head over in 3 or 4 hours (Sunday morning, local time--it's 5am as I post this) to check things out.  I'll be very disappointed if I missed it.

pynchonikon

Quote from: wilberfan on August 23, 2020, 06:54:13 AM
Based on the fact that those were taken during daylight on Saturday, I wonder if filming took place that night rather than Sunday? I was going to head over in 3 or 4 hours (Sunday morning, local time--it's 5am as I post this) to check things out.  I'll be very disappointed if I missed it.

Really hope you will get by catching something!

Tdog

They also have period cars parked right outside the radio station. Hopefully we might get confirmation of an actor soon.

Also, just had a thought, is there any way he might weave local access tv/Ghoulardi character into this?

kingfan011

Wow you rock thank you for the info. Fingers crossed that they test negative everyday or if someone does test positive it doesn't happen to set people. I have heard from a few movies that are shooting they shooting continuing with a negative test because it was from someone in the production office not a crew person.

Alma

Wow this is awesome! Glad you got to see the location. Thanks for the info.