Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Yes

I bet Leo DiCaprio was offered the politician role

Maybe PTA can lure Nicholson out of retirement for the Director. Would add meta text given his Huston relationship

The age of female role isn't disclosed, hard to pinpoint. 

jenkins

Nicholson is a great daydream for the described role

it instantly sounds less like a teenagers hanging out movie and more like an oscar movie, and what initially sounded like a wild title clicks into place. i'm not sure about the title or the roles or anything, but it's cool the daydreaming is taking a fuller shape

Drenk

Tom Cruise could play the hell out of a closeted gay congressman. But he's too busy going to space.
Ascension.

Rooty Poots

I daydreamed up a plot for a PTA movie a year or two ago where John Mulaney played a closeted vaudevillian/Vegas lounge act/Ricky Ricardo-type in the '50s, who had a secret relationship in the back rooms with another entertainer from a Black club, and then Mulaney's character gets scouted and asked to play the father in a super-wholesome family sitcom, a la Leave It To Beaver.

So, I guess I'm secretly rooting for Mulaney as the politician. Or some role. I just have a feeling Mulaney is the right kind of 'handsome' for PTA, and would love to see what he's capable of under PTA's direction.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

pynchonikon

Just random daydreaming thoughts:

-the Huston-style director: Possibilities like Hall, Nicholson or even deNiro and Marc Maron sound all nice, but I'm personally intigued by the idea of casting a veteran actor who's been ALSO a known director as a meta-reference. We know that PTA has seen the Other Side of the Wind which could be an influence, so Bogdanovich maybe is a bit obvious but really good choice imo. Another juicy meta-reference choice (and my favourite one) would be Warren Beatty, with whom he's tried to work before.

-the closeted politician: I agree with BigShock that if diCaprio was ever attached to this project, this was the role he discussed. Lots of possibilities depending on the tone of the character, an openly gay actor would be interesting (not just for the sake of diversity) but I won't be surprised if there gonna be a completely unexpected name.

-the female agent: Difficult to guess, i don't seem to be famillar with the character of a fierce female agent back in the '70s, I can't even imagine how she's written in the script.

kingfan011

That leaked plot description makes this sound a lot more interesting. I really hope 2021 film production is back to fully resuming so this can shoot.

Two things:

I wonder if the kid actor and the kid characters will be unknown and the adult  subplots will be known actors.

Very curious about who get juicy female casting agent role. I can't decide if he should get someone from his old crew back (Julianne Moore) or someone new.

Drenk

Jennifer Jason Leigh.
Ascension.

Drill

It sounds like there may be a few similarities/parallels with the new James Gray film (which is now at Focus). That has a stacked cast.

My guess is the agent will be based on Sue Mengers. Kathy Bates? He clearly loved Lesley Manville, though I haven't seen her do an American accent. I'll be surprised if he ever brings back Julianne Moore. Not that anything happened between them, but by Magnolia they were just on different wavelengths IMO. If it's a different description then JJL is a possibility. Or Maya.

He and De Niro had dinner a few years ago. But he's in the Gray film. Nicholson or Beatty would be great. Maybe Redford, though he's gone back and forth on whether The Old Man and the Gun was his last film.

RDJ as the politician?

jenkins

a straight actor play a gay role or a gay actor play a straight role

jviness02

What are the odds that PTA at least floated the script to DDL as a hail marry shot?  :rofl: :rofl:

Nicholson would be a dream as the director, but I also think Beatty would be really interesting. I'd love to see him work with DeNiro, but I do not see DeNiro as a Huston type. Eastwood would be interesting as he fits the Huston type and is also a director, but I think at 90, he's probably TOO old and seems to be done acting in other people's films.

Yes

The young "main" actor will certainly be an unknown. They've had difficulty in the casting process.

PTA has desire to work with Charlize Theron, maybe she's the female casting agent? Just a guess. Or maybe it is Tiffany Haddish. He's also mentioned desire to work with Pitt, Penn and Jim Carrey to name a few but they don't fit here?

De Niro would be fun for the Director, but he seems busy with Gray and Scorsese films. Bruce Dern?

Also.. this sounds nothing like what that member described a year ago? The one who insisted he knew the actor cast but vanished

Freddie Dodd

Quote from: BigSock on July 18, 2020, 02:47:47 PM
The young "main" actor will certainly be an unknown. They've had difficulty in the casting process.

PTA has desire to work with Charlize Theron, maybe she's the female casting agent? Just a guess. Or maybe it is Tiffany Haddish. He's also mentioned desire to work with Pitt, Penn and Jim Carrey to name a few but they don't fit here?

De Niro would be fun for the Director, but he seems busy with Gray and Scorsese films. Bruce Dern?

Also.. this sounds nothing like what that member described a year ago? The one who insisted he knew the actor cast but vanished

Could they play the gay politician? The age seems to indicated slightly younger, like 45-50, so those three guys are likely out of the running.

Female agent likewise has no age range for the character description. If we're having the female agent being based off  Sue Menger she was 45 or so when this era was set, which could fit either Maya or Theron. If the character is a decade older we could get Dern, Leigh, or Moore for the role.

kingfan011

Quote from: BigSock on July 18, 2020, 02:47:47 PM

Ya what happened to that guy

Drill

That poster's inside info about Phantom Thread was correct as I recall. Maybe it was a different script/project. 

Jeff Bridges for the director?

I don't buy Theron as a Hollywood agent. If older, Sigourney Weaver?

Yes

Quote from: Drill on July 18, 2020, 03:55:36 PM
That poster's inside info about Phantom Thread was correct as I recall. Maybe it was a different script/project. 

Jeff Bridges for the director?

I don't buy Theron as a Hollywood agent. If older, Sigourney Weaver?

Possible, but the quickness in which this was brought together makes me think it was the main project PTA had all along. Other stuff like the 30s Tiffany Haddish thing were probably nothing more than ideas made public. He doesn't seem like someone who pulls a script out of a drawer and says "this one!". This isn't the Inherent Vice situation