Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

polkablues

You guys are all ignoring the most obvious answer: CGI Phillip Seymour Hoffman.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Drenk

De-aging a corpse? Why not.
Ascension.

Pringle

Do we have any guesses for the kids? The only piece of info we have is that the lead of the movie is a high school kid. Obviously there aren't really any box office draw child actors, but it can't hurt. Tremblay will be high school age at this point, and Sonny Suljic will be as well. Millie Bobby Brown could be good meta-casting for a teen star. Maybe the little girl from Doctor Sleep (Kyliegh Curran)? Who else? The Sack-Lunch Bunch?

pynchonikon

Quote from: Lempwick on January 06, 2020, 08:32:09 PM
Quote from: Pynchonikos1994 on January 06, 2020, 06:24:19 PM
James Mangold seems pretty busy these days doesn't he?
No matter what they both publicly say about being cool with each other, I seriously doubt that a second Cruise-PTA colab will ever happen.
I don't think there is any reason to worry, though. The obscure production timeline of the project still leaves a widely open field for casting suggestions.
Furthermore, I think I read that Joaquin has completed the shooting of the Mike Mills movie. Just sayin'.
I get the bad feeling we won't hear any big news till February or even March, but I'm praying to be wrong about that.

Word is Joaquin's doing a Thomas Vinterberg movie next, with Mads Mikkelsen and Matthias Schoenaerts playing his brothers, so I think he's out on this project too.

Oh shit, I had no idea, thanks.

itwasgood

Quote from: Pynchonikos1994 on January 06, 2020, 06:24:19 PM
James Mangold seems pretty busy these days doesn't he?
No matter what they both publicly say about being cool with each other, I seriously doubt that a second Cruise-PTA colab will ever happen.
I don't think there is any reason to worry, though. The obscure production timeline of the project still leaves a widely open field for casting suggestions.
Furthermore, I think I read that Joaquin has completed the shooting of the Mike Mills movie. Just sayin'.
I get the bad feeling we won't hear any big news till February or even March, but I'm praying to be wrong about that.

It's unclear if Joaquin has finished with the Mike Mills movie. I think the New York part of filming is finished, there's supposed to be more shooting in New Orleans from Jan. 14 - 29, and also in Detroit after that. I think it'll be finished in February.  Joaquin is doing Thomas Vinterberg's new film after Mike Mills, there's no specific date of the shooting, but his co-star said it's about to start filming "soon". So it probably will take his summer.

pynchonikon

Quote from: Pringle on January 07, 2020, 12:02:29 AM
Do we have any guesses for the kids? The only piece of info we have is that the lead of the movie is a high school kid. Obviously there aren't really any box office draw child actors, but it can't hurt. Tremblay will be high school age at this point, and Sonny Suljic will be as well. Millie Bobby Brown could be good meta-casting for a teen star. Maybe the little girl from Doctor Sleep (Kyliegh Curran)? Who else? The Sack-Lunch Bunch?

I did my own research with known actors about two months ago, and I came to the conclusion that the best young male choice right now would be Jaeden Martell, he fits the bill since he actually moved to LA at a young age and participated in lots of commercials as a kid. Though I guess his name may be TOO big and there is always the possibility of hiring a totally newcomer (which is fine with me, have you seen Jojo Rabbit, the lead kid is one of the fuckin' highlights). As for the females there are easier choices. Elle Fanning & Maya Hawke (though perhaps better in the role of an older sister, not really schoolers), Sophia Millis (fuck yes) and Elsie Fisher (FUCK YES). Of course I'm not leaving out the possibility to go with completely unknown leads, but I doubt there wont be at least 1 or 2 recognisable young faces. I guess it depends on how much the plot will rotate around the high school thing.

polkablues

Quote from: Pringle on January 07, 2020, 12:02:29 AM
The Sack-Lunch Bunch?

I would love to see PTA write and direct a feature-length version of "I Saw a White Lady Standing on the Street Just Sobbing (And I Think About It Once a Week)"
My house, my rules, my coffee

jviness02

I can't confirm this, but I will be VERY surprised if Darius Khondji doesn't shoot this. Word is PTA was thrilled with his experience working with him on Anima.

Pringle

Quote from: jviness02 on January 07, 2020, 12:09:10 PM
I can't confirm this, but I will be VERY surprised if Darius Khondji doesn't shoot this. Word is PTA was thrilled with his experience working with him on Anima.

From the way he was talking about Khondji on the A24 podcast, it really does seem like it's gonna be Khondji. With all of the talk about how tough the Phantom Thread shoot was, maybe PTA will decide it's not worth the stress to shoot it himself.

Also — if we are talking adult roles, there's definitely a possibility of Haddish here. If the rumors of PTA looking for a mixed raced teenage girl are true, Haddish could be the mom. She is from LA, and while she was born at the tail-end of the 70s, I'm sure she knows the world that the film seems to be centered in.

trytotell

Maya will probably be in this too, right?

wilberfan

The period (seventies--let's say specifically 1977) and the location (let's say Reseda High School) will provide the opportunity for quite the Easter Egg:  Some shots of Rollergirl skating by in the background.  Nothing fancy, no de-aged Heather, just a body-double on skates. 

pynchonikon

Is there any info about Haddish future projects? Cause according to IMDB, all of the upcoming productions she's involved with are either completed or in the post-production phase. Which would make her available to play let's say a mother, and perhaps there is a connection with the unconfirmed rumour of searching for a mixed race girl. Most probably I'm overthinking this, but every day without updates is a damn torture.

Lempwick

Quote from: Pynchonikos1994 on January 08, 2020, 12:09:13 PM
Is there any info about Haddish future projects? Cause according to IMDB, all of the upcoming productions she's involved with are either completed or in the post-production phase. Which would make her available to play let's say a mother, and perhaps there is a connection with the unconfirmed rumour of searching for a mixed race girl. Most probably I'm overthinking this, but every day without updates is a damn torture.

pynchonikon

Quote from: Lempwick on January 08, 2020, 02:11:10 PM
Quote from: Pynchonikos1994 on January 08, 2020, 12:09:13 PM

True, that was today's news which I didn't pay too much attention as everyone focused on his decision to name his own movie best of the decade  :yabbse-grin:
So Haddish out, too (?)

jenkins

general comment: it's okay to enjoy the rest of what life has to offer while practicing patience in relation to pta news