TiVo

Started by Kal, November 10, 2003, 10:13:15 AM

Kal

is this worth buying?

As I get more and more involved working on TV and Film, and still on Music, there are more shows and TV movies that I need to watch but I have less time... I though maybe I get this crap and see if its any good... any suggestions?

There is another one real cool that comes with DVD burner but its double the price of the regular one... as its plugged in in the computer, can I still burn DVDs putting the stuff in the computer first?

any feedback appreciated thanks

aclockworkjj

TheVoiceOfNick

I think Tivo is the best thing since sliced bread... it can do lots of cool stuff that any TV buff will be thankful for in the long run... pause live TV, record your favorite shows automatically, etc... it needs a phone line to get television listings, and it requires a subscription, but i reccommend getting the lifetime subscription, which will pay for itself in less than 2 years.  You can also get bigger hard drives for it (instructions all over the net), and you can output your shows to tape, complete with slates... overall an awesome device... if you can afford it.

Kal

Hmm... thanks guys, I'm getting it!

©brad

how much is it per month? do u still have to pay for a regular cable subscription? hbo, showtime included?

godardian

Quote from: ©bradhow much is it per month? do u still have to pay for a regular cable subscription? hbo, showtime included?

It is separate from cable. I use mine with my digital cable, which I pay separately for. My fee is $12.95 per month. It probably is wiser to pay the lifetime fee, but for me, a little bit at a time hurts less, plus I have this feeling that there will be newer, bigger, better TiVo to get by the time the lifetime fee pays for itself.

A lot of times, though, you can get a really good deal if you sign up for DirecTV and get your TiVo at the same time. I don't do satellite and didn't want the complication of that, but it's worth looking into. You get many more channels that way. I find I already have too many just with the cable, though.  :)
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Kal

just got it and will install :)