ULTIMATE FILM FANATIC ON IFC BEGINNING JULY 9th 10:30pm E/P

Started by FeloniousFunk, July 03, 2004, 07:36:13 PM

modage

Quote from: MacGuffinmod-age, if you had won, what would you have shown on IFC for the day?
i dunno, am i limited by what IFC can get the rights to?  or can i show anything?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02final episode last night was pretty bizarre.  i cant believe how easy the first round was compared to 'sudden death questions'.  i play that game whenever i get tired of 6 degrees.  someone names an actor and you go back and forth naming their films until someone runs out, if the other person can still name 1 more he wins, if not its a draw.

I liked that round too. They should replace that with the obsession war. And I can't believe that guy that they keep promoting on the channel (Jordan) lost. I thought for sure he'd be in the final three.

Quote from: themodernage02anyways, i cant believe  bill who beat me lost on HOUSESITTER!  its not even a good steve martin movie!

No shit! I can't believe they didn't completely exhaust all the Scorsese films before moving onto Martin films.

Quote from: themodernage02the peter fonda finale was also very strange, and i actually agreed with the other guys point and think that he should've won.  its one thing to just be fanatical about something, but its another thing when you're trying to work in the 'industry' i think.  you dont have to play sports to be a sports nut.  you shouldnt have to want to make movies to be the ultimate movie nerd.  so i think the other guy should've won, but thats just me.

Yeah, but that guy got completely defensive when the word 'geek' was used. That made him seem more of a movie 'snob' than movie "nerd". And I can't believe when asked about best restaurant scenes, The Godfather didn't spring to mind.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

Quote from: MacGuffinAnd I can't believe when asked about best restaurant scenes, The Godfather didn't spring to mind.

hey, that's what i said! mac, we are on the same wavelengths THIS week.

the only episodes i saw were the first and the last. i'm glad the guy that won won. b/c the other guy was a TOOL!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

Quote from: Gamblor geht weg.Mac, I'm surprised you would believe Jason Mewes assessment of why I purchased that box set. I bought it because I didn't want to pay 200-400 bucks for high-quality Hitchcock dvds after they went OOP, not making money, saving money. If I wanted to make money, why would I have removed the plastic? The fact that I didn't see the films was supposed to hint at my obsessiveness, but it did kinda come off wrong.

It came off way wrong. They repeated the episode and here's what you said:

Well, uh, a couple months ago, at the beginning of December, the Criterion Collection decided that they were gonna put out -- put a couple of titles, uh, out of print, and they're all these -- they're these Hitchcock movies that I never even seen before, but I knew that by them going out of print they would be, like...like, ten times the price in a couple years, so I decided to buy this $130 box set, and of cour -- so the minute I found out I called my mother and I was like, "Mom, I'm in college. I don't have any money. You have to buy this for me." So, she -- she bought it for me, and it's an unbelieveable set.

The way you said it, came off as a profit making.

Quote from: Gamblor geht weg.And Mac, I didn't say that, but that's ok. I guess it was a big deal to me to buy an expensive set, we can't all buy three or four every week.

Get a job and stop borrowing from mom.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

cine

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Gamblor geht weg.we can't all buy three or four every week.
Get a job
As what?

Henry Hill

on labor day i watched the marathon. i had seen all but three or four of the episodes.  i cant wait till the next season.  anyways, they kept showing the commercial with the guy who won. has anybody seen it? i am wondering if the films that are in the commercial are the ones he has chosen to show. curious. i havent heard of any of them except The Straight Story.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: filmboy70on labor day i watched the marathon. i had seen all but three or four of the episodes.  i cant wait till the next season.  anyways, they kept showing the commercial with the guy who won. has anybody seen it? i am wondering if the films that are in the commercial are the ones he has chosen to show. curious. i havent heard of any of them except The Straight Story.
I think they are the ones he chose. Session 9 is one of them and I've been curious to see that.
But weren't they supposed to have an entire day? Now he only gets from 8pm to 6am. That's still pretty good, but it's no 24hrs. :?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

modage

no, it was only for a night, never a day.  i just watched session 9 on IFC this week.  it was okay/watchable but a little too familiar and not as scary as it could have been.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

So Mac.

I realize it was wholly relevant and necessary for you to transcribe everything I said, especially since I had conceded that what I said came off poorly. Also, that reminds me, it's simply amazing that you must have recounted my speech practically verbatim from memory, without the aid of slowly, tediously, desperately pressing play, rewinding, listening, etc from a recording you might otherwise needed to have made. I need a job, as you recommend. Perhaps you can teach me this amazing trick of transcriptive memory and we can become the Amazing Macs (in the vein of Kreskin). Together, we can travel the world, and after viewing shows that were simply 'repeated', transcribe dialogue to those who give a shit.

Actually, I don't need a job, because I'm lucky (or rather smart enough/worked hard enough) to get a scholarship that warrants an allowance. Oops. And who wants to stop borrowing from mom? You act as if that's childish. Good thing these blue-moon dvd purchases aren't vital, or borrowing would be cumbersome.

Anyhow. Cinephile, I'll be your dominated love slave, if you pay me in boxsets (or boxsex, which sounds pretty kinky to me).
WWPTAD?

modage

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Gamblor geht weg.
Actually, I don't need a job, because I'm lucky (or rather smart enough/worked hard enough) to get a scholarship that warrants an allowance. Oops. And who wants to stop borrowing from mom? You act as if that's childish.

a student should not be paid money for making good grades in school by his parents.  a student is expected to make good grades which shouldnt  warrant monetary rewards from his/her parents.

Gamblour.

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
a student should not be paid money for making good grades in school by his parents.  a student is expected to make good grades which shouldnt  warrant monetary rewards from his/her parents.

My parents have never paid me for making good grades and I never said they did. But neon, does that come straight from that book?

And modage, ok, whatever you say. It's not going to stop until I ease up.

Would anyone have gotten the question right about the name of the rat/mouse in The Abyss?
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

Quote from: Gamblor geht weg.I realize it was wholly relevant and necessary for you to transcribe everything I said, especially since I had conceded that what I said came off poorly. Also, that reminds me, it's simply amazing that you must have recounted my speech practically verbatim from memory, without the aid of slowly, tediously, desperately pressing play, rewinding, listening, etc from a recording you might otherwise needed to have made. I need a job, as you recommend. Perhaps you can teach me this amazing trick of transcriptive memory and we can become the Amazing Macs (in the vein of Kreskin). Together, we can travel the world, and after viewing shows that were simply 'repeated', transcribe dialogue to those who give a shit.

I guess what I said came off poorly. I'll transcribe what I said in my head when I realized the show you were on was gonna air:

I don't have a photographic memory. I better tape this so I can see what  gamblor said, because I'm sure I wasn't mis-hearing things.

So, in conclusion: If you had a job, or if you're nice to mom, you too can buy a VCR.

Quote from: Gamblor geht weg.And who wants to stop borrowing from mom? You act as if that's childish.

It's called "respect".

Quote from: Gamblor geht weg.Would anyone have gotten the question right about the name of the rat/mouse in The Abyss?

I did.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Quote from: Gamblor geht weg.who wants to stop borrowing from mom?
adults.