Firewall

Started by MacGuffin, January 17, 2006, 07:37:51 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: February 10th, 2006 (wide)

Starring: Harrison Ford, Paul Bettany, Jimmy Bennett, Virginia Madsen, Robert Patrick 

Directed by: Richard Loncraine  (Wimbledon)

Premise: Jack Stanfield is a bank security expert, whose specialty is designing infallible theft-proof financial computer systems. But there's a hidden vulnerability in the system he didn't account for - himself. When a ruthless criminal mastermind kidnaps his family, Jack is forced to find a flaw in his system and steal $100 million. With the lives of his wife and children at stake and under constant surveillance, he has only hours to find a loophole in the thief's own impenetrable system of subterfuge and false identities to beat him at his own game.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

for some reason it just seems ridiculous that harrison ford is some kind of computer programmer.  like, way more ridiculous than him being an action star.  it seems like ford wouldnt even know what an internet is.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

hedwig

that poster needs a couple more taglines.

pete

I'm going to see Airbank One on monday and Harrison Ford is going to be answering questions, yay!
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

A bank heist triller without a bank heist. While Bettany starts off a great villian, his cronies are far from being competent as he, and that brings his character down to their level. Add to that an annoying family that are surprisingly calm throughout their hostage situation (they actually seem to make friends with their captors) and the film diverts from what could have been an fine thriller. The movie takes too much time setting up the bank and characters that one wonders after a while what the criminals' demands are. Add to that attempted escapes and the "heist" seems like an afterthought. Sadly, the only real thrills come too late in the last act when the family is finally bound and gagged and Ford becomes the action hero.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

I remember when XIXAX was just starting out I always wanted to see MacGuffin throw out more reviews. His responces to other members were always short but likely to be the most insightful and his plethora of news to report always kept the board going at its slowest periods (especially today considering the low traffic). Now seeing some of his reviews I can happily say he's as well spoken and direct to the point of what matters in a film as I hoped he would be. Anyone could say shit about Firewall, but MacGuffin carves up the entire movie in a paragraph. Many cheers, MacGuffin.

MacGuffin

Thanks. It comes from when I had to write capsule reviews for a magazine in short amount of space (similar to Maxim's movie reviews).

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

yes, i've always wanted more as well.  if every film he bought on dvd could get a short capsule review, xixax would last forever.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Fernando

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on June 08, 2006, 06:02:42 PM
Now seeing some of his reviews I can happily say he's as well spoken and direct to the point of what matters in a film as I hoped he would be. Anyone could say shit about Firewall, but MacGuffin carves up the entire movie in a paragraph. Many cheers, MacGuffin.

Quote from: modage on June 08, 2006, 09:19:49 PM
yes, i've always wanted more as well.  if every film he bought on dvd could get a short capsule review, xixax would last forever.

Truer words have never been spoken before.

Mac's reviews are insighful and to the point as gt said, why he doesn't review in a mag. is beyond me but please keep writing them here.  :yabbse-thumbup: