jerry maguire and magnolia similiarites for tom cruise

Started by md, July 03, 2003, 11:00:29 AM

md

I just watched jerry maguire for the first time in a long time, and i dunno if its my preconvieved notion of tom cruise now because of his role in magnolia,but i couldnt help but notice that in jerry maguire when he is standing on a desk i belive giving his monologue, it just resembles his seminar, and also when he is on his cell phone a little bit later on in the movie, it just reminded me of when he was speaking with janet, the pacing the gestures...anyone else see this?
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

md

Quote from: Pit's the same actor.

you are my new best friend
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

Myxo

Quote from: mdI just watched jerry maguire for the first time in a long time, and i dunno if its my preconvieved notion of tom cruise now because of his role in magnolia,but i couldnt help but notice that in jerry maguire when he is standing on a desk i belive giving his monologue, it just resembles his seminar, and also when he is on his cell phone a little bit later on in the movie, it just reminded me of when he was speaking with janet, the pacing the gestures...anyone else see this?

Tom Cruise is really good at acting like Tom Cruise. (Which isn't a bad thing.)

It's like Jack Nicholson. He's a great actor, but he isn't exactly playing anything other than good ole' Jack.

Link

Like Elvis Mitchell said, I think Anderson kinda capitalized on what Cruise does best (rambling, fast, pacing, etc) for Magnolia, just as he did for Sandler in PDL (quiet, kind, pushed to the limit, blows up).

Pozer

ProgWRX

they *are* similar characters in a way, both are used to having "power" which at a point in the movie gets broken down,  in Jerry maguire its early on, while in Magnolia is a little after, but both characters go thru a similar deconstruction...

personally I thought Magnolia was the first time (in recent times, not counting Born in the 4th) i could look at Tom Cruise playing a character other than a version of himself. I wish he took more risks like that.
-Carlos