i'm trying to make a movie

Started by snaporaz, March 03, 2003, 05:01:34 AM

snaporaz

i have recently acquired an 8mm motion picture camera. i have a shit job [pizza driver] and i plan to make this movie on my own budget. nothing big, really. just a simple 10 minute-or-less b&w silent comedy. a rough estimate of the cost of every three minutes of film to be bought and shipped and processed is about thirty bucks. ten bucks a minute.

anyways, i can afford a small picture like that. the only problem is i have almost no friends. the ones i do know aren't into movies at all and in all likelihood cannot pantomime the way a silent comedian should.

i am a big fan of buster keaton, and this camera i just recently got is really a good thing for my inspirations right now. i know keaton movies well [i own all nineteen shorts and ten features on dvd] so i'm pretty confident i know how to direct a simple silent movie pretty well. the hard part is finding a reliable actor who knows how to improvize and use his body as a way of being funny.

also, i don't know whether i should edit the film myself [physically cutting and splicing and whatnot] or if i should spend a little extra money to convert the 8mm footage onto dvd and then edit it on a computer. if i do the digital editing stuff, i'll need a better computer [mine is pretty aged] and i need to get and learn some software [warez or paid for?] and...jeez. i'm just clueless.

i don't know how to do fades or titles...but i want to make a movie so fucking bad.

so anyways, discuss/comment/suggest/whatever.

Ghostboy

Just try to find some local actors, I'm sure you can find someone who's interested. You'd be surprised how many unknown actors are willing to work for free on projects just to get the experience.

If you already have the 8mm editing equipment, it might be more cost efficient for your to edit it by hand and then have the final version transferred. Plus, actually having those splices in there would add to the jittery look of the final project.

If you do decide to edit on a computer, make sure you actually shoot all the title cards and stuff on 8mm film, because if you did them in the computer they wouldn't match. Same with fades...I know some 8mm cameras have a little iris dial you can do fades with.

My two cents...

ReelHotGames

Yeah, if you were going to have to pay to have the footage put on DVD, then get a better computer and learn software etc... You're better off going the classic splice route, otherwise you're better off shooting on DV and using something like Cinelook to give it a old stock footage feel after shooting.

I used this method in my web series Chapter One (you can view it online) there is a section that was computer animated and then I used Adobe After effects and Cinelook to give it an aged and hand cranked camera feel.

But as for actors, check the communtiy, theaters, etc... We'll work for free to have some pizza and fun... It's true...
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

Ernie

You'd be amazed what pizza guys can do man ...but nevermind that for now.  :wink:

Quoteanyways, i can afford a small picture like that. the only problem is i have almost no friends. the ones i do know aren't into movies at all and in all likelihood cannot pantomime the way a silent comedian should.

I know exactly how you feel there...it sucks. I have no friends that would be the least bit interested in doing a film with me....my sister is going to beat me up in this 10 minute short film I'm writing now about a pizza guy, hence the really bad inside joke at the top of my post. (go to my 'suggestions for an ending' post on the brainstorming and feedback board for more on this, I'd love an actual pizza guy to give me some feedback if you get a chance).

Anyway man, I can relate to the software thing as well. It is a bitch to learn that stuff if you want to edit on your computer. I was so excited to have a MiniDV camera up until I found out how incredibly hard it is to edit on computers with Adobe Premiere and programs like that...I don't know how I'm going to do it.

So, I guess the only real advice I can give you at this point (I'm just as inexperienced as you) is to listen to these guys here....I guarantee you'll be inspired. They are really on a genius level film-wise....and with others things...like what michael alessandro was saying about how easy it is to get local actors and actresses to be in your movies...he's probably right. The thing is, you have to be willing to hunt them down if you are shy like me. I don't think I'll be working with people outside of my cousins and my sister until I'm forced to in college. It's not that I'm anti-social...I love people, I'm just painfully shy when it comes to asking people to be in movies that I myself am making. I came close today though, seriously...there's this 50's style diner type burger and milkshake place called Tom Whal's, I don't if you guys have heard of it...anyway, I went there today and there was this fucking gorgeous blonde girl behind the counter...seriously, it was amazing to see...just very overwhelming because this place is in the middle of nowhere, just a little suburban place and there's this beautiful girl all of a sudden. But seriously, I've been kicking myself ever since leaving the place for not asking her to be in my movie or at least talking to her about something for starters. She is waaaaay too beautiful to be off camera...even if she does suck at acting. She seemed nice enough to me...I'd pay somebody to ask her to be in my movie...we're talking 30 dollars at least.

So anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is...don't be like me. Don't be shy to ask people other than your friends and family to be in your movies...ask the beautiful waitresses at the 50's style diners. Listen to these guys here on this boar, take their advice. Good luck man, wish I could have given you better advice on my own. Buster Keaton rules by the way, I think him and Chaplin are great influences for independent filmmakers...their style is very low budget and simple...great influences.

Recce

hmm, for me its the opposite. I love the editing. I'd love someone to give me a bunch of footage so I could put a film together. Unfortunately, everyone I know that's into film is rather meticulous about post-production. Hey, if anyone has some footage they'd like edited, PM me.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

snaporaz

well this is cool. i called up the a/v teacher at one of the high schools and he said he'll meet with me to discuss making a movie with students and letting me use school resources. this is chump-stuff, i know, but at least i can use reliable people and some other crap i don't have.

Xixax

Don't belittle yourself, man. You're actually doing it - which is more than most people (including myself) can say for our "film projects"...
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

EL__SCORCHO

Quote from: Reccehmm, for me its the opposite. I love the editing. I'd love someone to give me a bunch of footage so I could put a film together. Unfortunately, everyone I know that's into film is rather meticulous about post-production. Hey, if anyone has some footage they'd like edited, PM me.

do you edit on a flatbed or only digital?

cowboykurtis

i highly suggest you use a company called PRO 8 mm, i believe jarmusch shot with pro 8 on the neil young docu. -- they do telecine transfers from super 8 to dv -- you can aslo buy 8mm stock that is cut down from Kodak VISION stock -- its going to be a hell of a lot better than ectachrome stock that you might find somehwere else. its about 20 bucks a roll for tape, processing, and telecine -- that is very cheap, if you shoot sparingly. plus if you dont go that route and just get a one light you're images may be very inconsistent -- you may want that, I'm not sure. However the latitude in most 8mm film stock is so narrow that you might want someone riding the exposure during the transfer -- its no fun if you get a roll back with an image that is way too underexposed. any way go to this site and consider using them -- you won't be disapointed -- www.pro8mm.com
...your excuses are your own...