Watchmen (HBO)

Started by Jeremy Blackman, May 08, 2019, 12:41:40 PM

WorldForgot

One of the more interesting tidbits from the Official Pod, I thought, was having Nicole Kassell read the screenplay before the graphic novel. Keeps the perspective at the remove a newcomer might experience. 

RegularKarate

Really into this show, but the last episode scared me as it's the first sign of Lindelof being back on his bullshit again.
Specifically the framing device of the phone call... just took me right out of everything the first two episodes pulled me into.

Still, very much into everything else about this show (other than their Tulsa not looking like Oklahoma, but what can you do?).

Neil

Can I ask what about the phone booth was so off-putting for you RK?
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Jeremy Blackman

SPOILS

The phone booth is like any number of things in The Leftovers. Could be fake, could be real, and ultimately it's really about something else. This is like a central Lindelofism. Which I understand is grating to some people.

(Assuming that's what the complaint is.)

RegularKarate

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on November 08, 2019, 04:53:05 PM
SPOILS

The phone booth is like any number of things in The Leftovers. Could be fake, could be real, and ultimately it's really about something else. This is like a central Lindelofism. Which I understand is grating to some people.

(Assuming that's what the complaint is.)

Exactly.
I know you are team Lindelof, but it gets on my damn nerves.

This last episode started exactly like a Leftovers episode so I guess this show is just headed toward being The Leftovers, but in the Watchmen universe... which honestly, I could love just as easily as I could hate it. Just depends on where it goes.

Drenk

SPOILERS

Lube Man got a literal lol out of me today, which is why The Watchmen is good. (Having read the graphic novel, I like the show better now? I have nothing negative to say about the last episode. Some information about the characters is needlessly kept away from us, but I've accepted the deal...)
Ascension.

Tictacbk

Also watching and loving this (so far.)  That opening to ep 4! Hong Chau! If this just ends up being The Leftovers: Watchmen Edition, I'm fine with it.  In Lindelof I trust.

wilberfan

This genre generally holds no interest for me, but out of respect for Lindelof I tuned-in.  I'm enjoying it, too.

WorldForgot

Tonight's episode featured this track at the bar after LG's meeting:

QuoteMy opponent's reasoning reminds me of the heathen, who, being asked on what the world stood, replied, "On a tortoise." But on what does the tortoise stand? "On another tortoise." With Mr. Barker, too, there are tortoises all the way down.

jenkins

now i understand a john green book title

samsong

pretty riveted by the series so far.  i'm not a fan of lindelof but digging this so far.  his lesser tendencies are ever-present, though.

spoilers-ish

that last episode was pretty great right up until that stupid monologue about the film spielberg supposedly made about THE EVENT in the style of schindler's list.  (did the holocaust not happen in this universe?  or did this event supersede the holocaust in pertinence?  eye roll city.) it made the parallelism of the baiting of looking glass seem thuddingly heavy handed as a device, though i probably wouldve been fine had i not been ejected out of the show with that idiotic pale horse bit. 

love the jeremy irons stuff, especially the reveal of the purpose of his antics in the last episode.  its been a minute since i read the book and had to look refresh my memory... very satisfying.

WorldForgot

Last night's episode has got to be one of the all-time HBO greats, right?

SPOILERz within the hyperlinks:
Some of the real-life texture from last night's episode ~

Neil

Quote from: WorldForgot on November 25, 2019, 04:08:06 PM
Last night's episode has got to be one of the all-time HBO greats, right?

SPOILERz within the hyperlinks:
Some of the real-life texture from last night's episode ~

Spoiler: ShowHide
As I was watching some of those single takes, I was feeling a way I haven't felt watching TV in a long time. the pacing, the dialogue, all of it. 

I don't really foresee this ending in such a way that satisfies me, especially with only three eps left, but man oh man I am along for the ride for sure.

EDIT: I've decided that it really doesn't matter if the Manhatten phone booth works or not, and it only serves as a plot device for laurie to show where she's at mentally with their relationship, AKA hung up and bitter.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Fernando

Great episode last night, and that ending.

Spoiler: ShowHide
I thought we would see Dr Manhattan until the last episode, looks like it will be in the next one.

https://twitter.com/clmazin/status/1201409211709526016

Fernando

Amazing episode.

I hope people didn't change the channel during the credits.