Help me decide...

Started by Jake_82, May 10, 2003, 12:24:42 AM

Jake_82

...Which DV camera I should get. I've been mainly focusing on the XL1s because of it's amazing capabilities, but lately I've been wondering if it's what I should be getting. I want something that will give me a very smooth film-like image. I loved the way Chelsea Walls looked, and it used a Sony PD100, also Dancer in the Dark used the PD100 and I liked the way that looked also, but the film Tape used the PD100 and looked quite different. I have seen some XL1s stuff on the internet and it looked great, but the two movies I have seen that used it (Big Monday and Full Frontal) didn't look great, but that may have been for the fact that Big Monday wasn't really a production (one 75-min long shot through new york city) and I'm not sure why Full Frontal looked so bad... I've heard some people say Sodebergh purposely tried to make it look crappy.

Can I achieve the smooth, film like look of Dancer in the Dark and Chelsea Walls using the Canon XL1s (which is the camera I am most interested in because of it's technical specs) or do I need a camera along the lines of the Sony PD100? Also, how do the PD-150 and PDX10 cameras compare to the PD100?

Thanks!  :)
your reality is at the end of your dream

sphinx

sphinx is very happy with his xl1s.  the camera also offers a frame-mode style of shooting, which the manual says will create a film-like effect, and it certainly does.  i think the camera should be locked onto that setting, it creates perfect film motion blurs.

full frontal was shot on dv and then run through a number of shitty film stocks and filters which made it very high contrasty, giving the grainy, shitty look.  the camera can produce images at the extreme opposite of that.

capture from the xl1s

the only real complaints i have are that it's a bit difficult to focus when the viewfinder resolution is only average, and sometimes it's hard to tell if you've overexposed your image, but that's what the light meter built into the camera is for.

SoNowThen

Beautiful image. Please tell me exactly how you shot that: gain setting, f-stop, shutter speed, any filters, lights, etc.

Such rich colors, even the blacks.... wow...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Xixax

Hey, I like that hair. What do you call that color? meat?
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

sphinx

Quote from: SoNowThenBeautiful image. Please tell me exactly how you shot that: gain setting, f-stop, shutter speed, any filters, lights, etc.

Such rich colors, even the blacks.... wow...

i didn't shoot that shot, but just from looking at it i can tell you the f-stop was probably around 2.8, gain setting was either -3, 0, or +6 (anything above 12db and you start to get unbearable grain), it looks like a key light or two and an incandescent fill.  i don't suspect there are any filters there, xl1s gives very rich colours