Trouble with an ending

Started by BrainSushi, April 16, 2003, 03:37:22 PM

BrainSushi

I'm working on this script, but I'm a little worried about it... well, you'll see...

Anyway, the film is about a guy whose very quiet and shy, married to a woman who basically has ownership over him. Everyday he's either ignored or taken advantage of at his horrible corporate job. The film opens with him dreaming of a perfect life, where he's dating somebody he actually likes, and running his own little business. Then he hears his wife scream, "Wake up!!" He frequently tells himself that he'll confront his wife/boss, etc., but never does.

Anyway, at one point, he stumbles across a book by a self help guru. He sits up all night reading it, and he's changed by it. The next day, he has visions of this self help guru all around work, telling him he has to act now, and can't wait for things. He has to straighten out his life so he'll be happy. So, our protagonist decides, he will definitely do it the next day. And he does.

The next day, successfull creates a workers strike at his company (I haven't quite decided what the company does - right now it's really just a generic corporation, but the character doesn't really like what they do - any suggestions? Cigarette company? Nuclear power plant?). Anyway, the bulk of this movie takes place on this day. The character ... his name is Frank, btw, sorry for not mentioning this sooner... goes and lets his feelings loose to his wife (whose been cheeting on him, anyway). He gets her to sign the divorce papers, and more or less, straightens things out with her.

Then he goes back to his office to get something he forgot, and things are not going too well. The strike has turned violent, as some employees who remain faithful to the corporation keep working, but those on strike do their best at destroying all that's inside. Frank finds himself trapped in the cafeteria, alone with the only friend he's made through the whole film, a young trainee named Garth.

Like cowards, they sit in the cafeteria until 5:00 p.m. comes. Quitting time. By this time, all of the violent protestors/strike guys/what you will have been aprehended.

Now, it's the very end where I'm unsure of. I've thought of ending it with a little montage: Frank has a new girlfriend that he's happy with, he starts his own little business, he buys a new apartment, and even marries that girl. He lays down in bed with her, closes his eyes, and hears those words "Wake up!!!"

If I use that ending, I'd want to end it right there. The only problem is, I've read that a movie shouldn't be a dream. Obviously, the whole movie isn't, but the bulk is. Despite that, I think it supports Frank as a character, showing that he still can't go through with it, and his dream will always be just that, a dream.

Then, I've thought of another ending where Frank goes back home, and begins to cry. Only to later find himself back in bed with his wife, working a new corporate job. Despite his dislike of it, he can't function without the status quo.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

OmegaSlacker

Perhaps your ending could be the culmination of the strike. I think him moving on, getting a new wife and house and job is a little too fairytale. To add some grit, maybe you could make him causing the strike a big part of the story and that's where he really stands up for himself.

Maybe his wife is his boss at work also, and in the beginning, she pushes him around at home and at work.  He could be the union stewart (steward?) and she's the head of management's side.  She was pushing him around to sign a deal beneficial towards management and he was giving in.

Then the strike turns ugly, and he finally gets his set of balls and tells her what's up with work, which causes the strike. She has no choice to give in to their demands because the company is losing millions each day the strike goes on. Finally, they sign the new contract and he's all smiles. "There's one more thing I need you to sign."  She looks a little confused. "I hope you're a better litigator than negotiator. I want a divorce." and boom, he slaps the papers on her.

Tie up the loose ends from there.  Maybe throughout the story have another woman from his union be interested in him, but he's shy about it. After serving his wife with papers, he asks her out for a celebatory drink or something, just to show him really moving on.l

That was all just off the top of my head. I hope that helps in anyway.
When I was just a baby, my momma told me, "Son, always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns." But I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

polkablues

I can't really tell what the intended tone of the film is supposed to be.  The right ending would be vastly different if it's a gritty social drama as opposed to an offbeat dark comedy (and from the synopsis, it sounds like you could take it either way).  If it leans more towards the dark humor, I think the dream ending would work fine.
My house, my rules, my coffee

OmegaSlacker

Polkablues is right. I meant to mention that in my reply, to ask what type of story it was meant to be. That does greatly change the scope of your potential ending.
When I was just a baby, my momma told me, "Son, always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns." But I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

BrainSushi

Quote from: polkabluesIf it leans more towards the dark humor, I think the dream ending would work fine.

Yeah, it is supposed to be a dark comedy, as opposed to a "gritty social drama," though I always thought of it having little social commentary weaved into it.

And thanks for the ideas, OmegaSlacker!  :-D  :yabbse-thumbup: