Lost in Translation tv spot music?

Started by Ernie, October 01, 2003, 03:30:10 PM

Ernie

Hey everybody...I'm back by the way for those that care and don't know...for awhile anyway. So I have this question about the Lost in Translation tv spots you've probably been seeing on IFC, what is that song in it? Bill Murray sings along with it at one point and I'm pretty sure it plays in the background throughout. Thanks.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Ernie

Oh really? Thanks a lot, that's nice to hear...I missed you too. I missed everybody. I missed the site a lot, even more than I thought I would. What did I miss anyway?

I found the song by the way. What are some other good Elvis Costello songs? That's a great one.

Cecil

Quote from: ebeamanWhat did I miss anyway?

p is no longer with us, godardian is back.... and most importantly, we came to the conclusion that pta is not that great. (did you know that every shot in pdl is ripped off from a truffault film?)

what else happened?

godardian

I was much more impressed by the use of JAMC in the trailers (and the film!).

Welcome back, ebeaman! I also just came back after a long hiatus.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ernie

Quote from: Cecilp is no longer with us,

Oh man, are you serious? I wouldn't have expected that. That kinda sucks. Why the hell did he leave?

Quoteand most importantly, we came to the conclusion that pta is not that great. (did you know that every shot in pdl is ripped off from a truffault film?)

LOL! I actually did catch a split second of that whole thing with the PTA hater. That's fucking great. I literally laughed out loud when I read the subtitle of the PTA board like a couple days after that ("He's not that great...but we still love him"). That is one of those things you want to tell somebody about cause it's so funny but you can't cause they wouldn't understand the whole background of it.

Quotewhat else happened?

Oh god, there's more!?

I'll have to give a little update on some of my discoveries (which aren't all that profound) that I made on my hiatus. Lots of time spent with a 30 year old cousin I haven't seen in three years didn't lead to nothing though.

EDIT - glad to see Godardian back too...now if only we could find Max Fischer. It's like Searching For Bobby Fisher.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ebeamanWhat are some other good Elvis Costello songs?

1.   Peace, Love And Understanding?, (What's So Funny 'Bout)
2.   Oliver's Army
3.   Watching the Detectives
4.   Alison
5.   Chelsea, (I Don't Want To Go To )
6.   Accidents Will Happen
7.   Pump It Up
8.   I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
9.   Radio Radio
10.  Clubland
11.   Good Year For The Roses
12.   Man Out Of Time
13.   I Wanna Be Loved
14.   Everyday I Write The Book
15.   Brilliant Mistake
16.   Other Side Of Summer, The
17.   Tokyo Storm Warning
18.   Sulky Girl
19.   So Like Candy
20.   Veronica
21.   She

DISC 2:
1.   Big Tears
2.   Beyond Belief
3.   Lipstick Vogue
4.   Green Shirt
5.   Pills And Soap
6.   Tramp The Dirt Down
7.   Shipbuilding
8.   High Fidelity
9.   New Lace Sleeves
10.   Red Shoes, (The Angels Wanna Wear My)
11.   Talking in the Dark
12.   New Amsterdam
13.   I Hope You're Happy Now
14.   Riot Act
15.   My Funny Valentine
16.   Indoor Fireworks
17.   Almost Blue
18.   I Want You
19.   God Give Me Strength
20.   That Day Is Done
21.   I Want To Vanish
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ernie

Ok, cool...but can you narrow it down to the absolute essentials? I really hate downloading entire albums, you know? Could you give me like 5-7 of his best-best-best songs?

coffeebeetle

Veronica, Pump It Up, Peace Love and Understanding, Chelsea and Watching the Detectives.  

IMHO of course. :)
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Witkacy

Sorry to interrupt the love session put as far as Elvis C goes... Ship Building is essential if not for the music but for his sense of late 70's Marxism which was very important in the UK during that time (coal miner's strike and all).  Also Robert Wyatt does a beautiful rendition also.
Cheers

MacGuffin

Quote from: ebeamanOk, cool...but can you narrow it down to the absolute essentials?

All his songs from all his albums picked to fit on two CDs, that is narrowed down.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Vile5

i have no idea what spot you're talking about, but is nice have you for these lands again ebeaman :wink:
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

MacGuffin

Diana Krall Marries Elvis Costello

TORONTO - Jazz chanteuse Diana Krall has tied the knot with her beau of one year, Elvis Costello, in a wedding held outside London.

The pair was married Saturday night in a ceremony held at Elton John's castle, the Globe and Mail reported Tuesday.

The approximately 150 guests, who included Paul McCartney and Canada's consul general to New York, Pamela Wallin, were sworn to secrecy.

Krall, 39, and Costello, 49, live in New York and also have a home on Vancouver Island.

Krall's management company, Sam Feldman and Associates, did not return a call, and her music label declined comment on the report that the pair was married.

The marriage is a first for Krall. Costello's previous two marriages ended in divorce.

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

To free-associate further: Krall appears in Anything Else, in a scene where Christina Ricci is enraptured by her.

I'm not a huge jazz fan, myself.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.