Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

SoNowThen

How the fuck is Knife In The Water "essential"? A prosaic first feature by a fair-to-middling director who made a handful of solid films...

I scoff, I scoff. Shame on you, Criterion.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

edison

Special Features
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer
- Selected-scene audio commentary by film scholar Ginette Vincendeau, author of Jean-Pierre Melville: An American in Paris
- Video interviews with directors Volker Schlöndorff and Bertrand Tavernier, who served as assistant director and publicity agent, respectively, on the film
- Archival interviews with Melville and actors Jean-Paul Belmondo and Serge Reggiani
- Original theatrical trailer
- New and improved subtitle translation
- PLUS: A new essay by film critic Glenn Kenny

Special Features
- Audio commentary by film scholar Ginette Vincendeau, author of Jean-Pierre Melville: An American in Paris, and film critic Geoff Andrew of the British Film Institute
- New video interview with director Bertrand Tavernier, who served as publicity agent on the film
- Archival footage featuring interviews with Melville and Lino Ventura
- Original theatrical trailer
- New and improved subtitle translation
- PLUS: A new essay by film critic Adrian Danks

Special Features
- Video interviews with Costa-Gavras, Joyce Horman (wife of Charles Horman), producers Edward and Mildred Lewis and Sean Daniel, and Thomas Hauser, author of Missing, the film's source
- Interviews from the 1982 Cannes Film Festival with Costa-Gavras, Jack Lemmon, Ed Horman (father of Charles), and Joyce Horman
- New video essay with Peter Kornbluh, author of The Pinochet File, examining declassified documents concerning the 1973 military coup in Chile and the case of Charles Horman
- Video highlights from the 2002 Charles Horman Truth Project event honoring the twentieth anniversary of Missing, with actors Sissy Spacek, John Shea, and Melanie Mayron
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Michael Wood, an interview with Costa-Gavras, the U.S. State Department's official response to Missing, and an open letter from Horman family friend Terry Simon

Special Features
- Restored high-definition digital transfer
- Audio commentary by longtime John Cassavetes collaborators Mike Ferris (camera operator) and Bo Harwood (sound recordist/composer)
- Video conversation between actors Gena Rowlands and Peter Falk
- Audio interview with Cassavetes by film historians Michel Ciment and Michael Wilson, conducted in 1975
- Theatrical trailer
- Stills gallery featuring rare behind-the-scenes production photos

Special Features
- Restored high-definition digital transfer of John Cassavetes' original 1976, 135-minute edit of the film
- Restored high-definition digital transfer of Cassavetes' 108-minute edit from the 1978 theatrical rerelease
- Video interviews with star Ben Gazzara and producer Al Ruban Audio interview with Cassavetes by film historians Michel Ciment and Michael Wilson, conducted after the film's release
- Stills gallery featuring rare, behind-the-scenes production photos

Short Cuts is also available now for MSRP: $29.95... (edit) because it no longer includes the book, so get it now if you want the stories.

last days of gerry the elephant

Oh sweetness! I'm loving the Melville releases!

OrHowILearnedTo

Quote from: omuy on July 15, 2008, 10:41:25 PM

Me too! also, i must admit i've never even heard of costa-garvas :yabbse-undecided:

tpfkabi

Quote from: OrHowILearnedTo on July 16, 2008, 01:46:50 AM
Quote from: omuy on July 15, 2008, 10:41:25 PM

Me too! also, i must admit i've never even heard of costa-garvas :yabbse-undecided:

me three!
and these are the two films immediately before Le Samourai.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

tpfkabi

anyone found a concrete date on Bottle Rocket?
wiki says October, but that is in regards to when they said they'd start rolling out Blu Rays and BR was amongst the list - definitely does not give an actual date.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Ravi

Gold Trumpet

Magnificent Obsession, by Douglas Sirk. A major title for Criterion.

edison

Special Features
- New, restored digital transfer
- New video program about actor Gérard Philipe
- A clip from the colorized version of the film
- Theatrical trailer
- Optional English-dubbed soundtrack
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by Kenneth Turan and an excerpt from Georges Sadoul's monograph on Philipe

Special Features
- SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES:
- New interviews with author John Le Carré and cinematographer Oswald Morris
- The Secret Center: John Le Carré (2000), a BBC documentary on the author's extraordinary life and work
- Acting in the '60s: Richard Burton, a 1967 interview with the BBC's Kenneth Tynan examining the actor's performances and accomplishments
- Gallery of set designs
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Michael Sragow and a reprinted interview with Ritt
- More!

Special Features
- DIRECTOR-APPROVED DOUBLE-DISC SET SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES:
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer supervised and approved by director Wes Anderson and director of photography Robert Yeoman
- Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack
- Commentary by director/co-writer Anderson and co-writer/actor Owen Wilson
- The Making of "Bottle Rocket": an original documentary by filmmaker Barry Braverman featuring Anderson, James L. Brooks, James Caan, Temple Nash Jr., Kumar Pallana, Polly Platt, Mark Mothersbaugh, Robert Musgrave, Richard Sakai, David and Sandy Wasco, Andrew and Luke and Owen Wilson, and Robert Yeoman
- The original thirteen-minute black-and-white Bottle Rocket short film from 1992
- Eleven deleted scenes
- Anamorphic screen test, storyboards, location photos, and behind-the-scenes photographs by Laura Wilson
- Murita Cycles, a 1978 short film by Braverman
- The Shafrazi Lectures, no. 1: Bottle Rocket
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by executive producer James L. Brooks, an appreciation by Martin Scorsese, and original artwork by Ian Dingman

Special Features
- Remastered Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack supervised by director Wong Kar-wai
- Audio commentary by noted Asian cinema critic Tony Rayns
- Episode excerpt from the British television series Moving Pictures featuring Wong and cinematographer Christopher Doyle
- U.S. theatrical trailer
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Amy Taubin and excerpts from a 1996 Sight and Sound interview with Wong by Rayns

...and the Blu-Ray releases of Bottle Rocket, Chungking Express, The Third Man, The Man Who Fell to Earth, and The Last Emperor

SiliasRuby

Saw these and looking forward to them.....especially the Blu-rays.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

last days of gerry the elephant

I'm considering picking up all the Blu-Rays. Havn't seen Chungking Express though.

pete

ha I know I lost my chunking express DVD for a good reason. 
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

w/o horse

Quote from: edison on July 15, 2008, 10:18:31 PM

Oh phh.  An allmovie.com visit has revealed to me that this film is known in America as Second Breath, and it's the Melville I saw at the Egyptian back when I saw it at the Egyptian and talked about it in my revival thread.

One part bummed because it's not an unseen Melville, one part joyed because it was an awesome Melville.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Gamblour.

I was going to say, "What an expensive fucking christmas" before I actually checked the Blu ray prices. I'm impressed that they're the same as SD versions.

These Bottle Rocket and Chungking Criterions are going to call for a burning of my shitty sub-$10 dvds I've had forever.
WWPTAD?