Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

Ravi

Man, I can never guess these.  That's some kind of gourd...

Flannery

I was confused at first.  I think the reference to barbecue is just a summer thing, because I can't think of any films with barbecues in them that Criterion would be releasing.  I maybe wrong but I think the key word here is "bumper grill," which is more of a car reference.  So based on that, my guess is David Cronenberg's Crash.

grand theft sparrow

Sounds possible.  But what is the gourd/pear thingy?

last days of gerry the elephant

It's just phallic imagery for Cronenberg's Crash.

Gold Trumpet

Tati's Trafic is what Criterion forum is saying.

edison

Special Features
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer
- Calle Bardem (2005), a documentary on the revolutionary life and career of director Juan Antonio Bardem
- Theatrical trailer
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by scholar Marsha Kinder and a 1955 essay by Bardem on Spanish cinema

- DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES:
- New, restored digital transfer
- Requiem for a Killer: The Making of "Blast of Silence" (2007)
- Rare on-set Polaroids
- Locations revisited in 2008
- Trailer
- PLUS: An essay by film critic Terrence Rafferty and a four-page graphic-novel adaptation of the film by award-winning artist Sean Phillips (Criminal, Sleeper, Batman: Jekyll & Hyde)

Ravi

GT, do you know if Criterion/Eclipse have any plans to release any films by Youssef Chahine?  He's underrepresented in region 1 on DVD.

Gold Trumpet

Nothing more than general speculation. So far just people hoping to see him in the collection, but I just sent an email to Criterion asking about him and I'll pass word along once I get a reply.

Gold Trumpet

Took a little while, but I finally got a responce about Youssef Chahine.

Hi Kevin,

As far as I know we have no plans for the films of Youssef Chahine at this time. Thanks for the suggestion, and feel free to write in again if you have any other questions!

Sincerely,
Tamara

edison

May is going to have

Special Features
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer
- Archival interviews with director Louis Malle and actor Maurice Ronet
- Malle's Fire Within, a new video program featuring interviews with actor Alexandra Stewart and filmmakers Philippe Collin and Volker Schlöndorff
- Jusqu'au 23 Juillet, a 2005 documentary short about Pierre Drieu la Rochelle's novel Le feu follet and dadaist writer Jacques Rigaut (the inspiration for the main character), featuring actor Mathieu Amalric, writer Didier Daeninckx, and Cannes festival curator Pierre-Henri Deleau
- PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by critic Michel Ciment and historian Peter Cowie

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer of the complete, uncensored version
- Selection of archival interviews with Louis Malle, actors Jeanne Moreau and José Luis de Villalonga, and writer Louise de Vilmorin
- Gallery of promotional material from the U.S. theatrical release
- PLUS: A new essay by film historian Ginette Vincendeau

Special Features
- SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES:
- Restored digital transfer
- Two audio commentaries: one featuring renowned directors Francis Ford Coppola and Martin Scorsese, and one with film and music historian Bruce Eder
- New interviews with special-effects experts Ray Harryhausen, Dennis Muren, and Craig Barron about the technical achievements of The Thief of Bagdad
- The Lion Has Wings (1940), Alexander Korda's propaganda film for the English war effort, during The Thief of Bagdad's production hiatus
- Excerpts from codirector Michael Powell's audio dictations for his autobiography
- Selections of music by composer Miklos Rózsa not used in the final film
- Stills gallery featuring rare Dufaycolor images of the film's production
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by film scholars Andrew Moor and Ian Christie

Gold Trumpet

Dissappointing month. I understand Criterion is limited in releasing premiere titles, but they do have a lot of other titles people are hoping for more. Theif of Baghdad has been on the radar and their supply of Malle seems neverending, but neither have an immediate allure. Each month has been a mixture of obscure titles with one good release. I just see a few obscure ones here. They could be good but don't satisfy major customer demands. I think about that promised Max Ophuls box set when I say this so Criterion can improve their catalogue.

last days of gerry the elephant

Wicked covers for Malle though.
If they were going to get them designed similarly you'd think they'd toss them in a set of some sort.

tpfkabi

Have there been any straight from the company Criterion rumblings for The Darjeeling Limited?
That disc released this week is awful 'limited' in the extras department.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: bigideas on February 28, 2008, 10:52:12 AM
Have there been any straight from the company Criterion rumblings for The Darjeeling Limited?

No. Criterion does not have rights for this or any future Wes Anderson film. The only chance of Darjeeling Limited being released is in the distant future after Fox Searchlight has reaped as much profit as possible, so try 5-10 years or likely longer.

tpfkabi

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on February 28, 2008, 11:00:52 AM
Quote from: bigideas on February 28, 2008, 10:52:12 AM

No. Criterion does not have rights for this or any future Wes Anderson film. The only chance of Darjeeling Limited being released is in the distant future after Fox Searchlight has reaped as much profit as possible, so try 5-10 years or likely longer.

That sucks. Was there not a Wes Anderson interview or announcement that he (or someone else) said all future Wes Anderson films would be released through Criterion (mind, this was some time ago so my mind is hazy)?

I wonder if he did little with the Fox Searchlight release because he was pissed that Criterion wasn't releasing it?
But then he's working with Criterion for Bottle Rocket.
Something don't add up.
or maybe it's more like he's pissed at Fox Searchlight for not letting him release it via Criterion so he didn't take an active part in their dvd.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.