Licorice Pizza - SPOILERS!

Started by wilberfan, November 05, 2021, 08:30:50 PM

Lots of Bees

Also how do you anticipate people responding to the Japanese jokes/age gap stuff? They seem like things that people could latch onto but I'm just curious how you all took them in the context of the movie?

I've been holding back asking stuff in here because I don't wanna push, but letterboxd reviews and tweets are really bad about giving details, and I'm greedy :yabbse-grin:

Obviously you don't have to spill if you don't want to but I feel as though enough people here have seen it/know people who've seen it that we should have more info than we do

Lots of Bees

ALSO!—Sorry for three posts in a row—I heard that shot of Peters smashing the car windows and yelling isn't in the movie! Any idea of how that scene would have fit in? Is him breaking the window with the garbage can in there?

Drenk

That I want to know:

What shots from the trailer are not in the movie?
Ascension.

Pino Grigio

Not in the movie:

"You're not my director" (I'm not positive, but I don't remember hearing Alana say that line)

What looks like Alana, Gary, and friends siphoning gasoline in a driveway

*Bradley Cooper smashing side mirrors is attached to his name during the end credits (same with the boy sitting atop the stack of bean bags)

The young woman in a bathing suit walking into a glass door

Tom Waits tossing a glass bottle

Alana, Gary, and friends filming/interviewing Wachs while driving

Alana pool side

Alana running into Gary's arms (again, not 100% positive with this one)

I think that's pretty much it

Robyn

Oh, that's more than I would have thought

wilberfan

That's a pretty solid list, yeah.  :yabbse-thumbup:

jviness02

Quote from: Pino Grigio on November 08, 2021, 12:18:32 PM
Not in the movie:

"You're not my director" (I'm not positive, but I don't remember hearing Alana say that line)

What looks like Alana, Gary, and friends siphoning gasoline in a driveway

*Bradley Cooper smashing side mirrors is attached to his name during the end credits (same with the boy sitting atop the stack of bean bags)

The young woman in a bathing suit walking into a glass door

Tom Waits tossing a glass bottle

Alana, Gary, and friends filming/interviewing Wachs while driving

Alana pool side

Alana running into Gary's arms (again, not 100% positive with this one)

I think that's pretty much it

Wow.

PaulElroy35

The real question is without given away anything did these scenes feel missed for any of you or did the rest of the film make up for them not being in it?

Pino Grigio

For me, no. I think the exception being Bradley Cooper. A little more time with his character would have added to the fun.

Lots of Bees

From a great letterboxd review
Spoiler: ShowHide
(POTENTIAL SPOILERS FOR OPENING SCENE);

...First, a static shot of rowdy boys in a bathroom. A kid screams "CHERRY BOMB!" and one goes off in a toilet. The boys yell, laugh and run-- an image of pure pubescent, testosterone-laden anarchy. Immediately, we cut to Gary (Cooper Hoffman) out in his high school's outdoor hallway, casually spotting Alana for the first time. As he playfully asks her out, their interaction is photographed in a languid, dream-like tracking shot while sprinklers spray the lawn behind them, all scored to Nina Simone's celestial recording of "July Tree"-- the high school campus is portrayed as some kind of heavenly utopia. This unguardedly sweet perspective generates the idyllic humanism that would typify the warmest moments of a Jean Renoir film. The understanding that the the previous scene's crassness and this scene's casual yearning for profound love are effortlessly entangled at this particular stage of life is something I've never seen in a film before. I haven't felt this moved by a scene from a new release in years.

This is easily going to make its way to the upper-ranks of PTA for me.

pynchonikon

wrongright

Chuck Berry?  :yabbse-lipsrsealed:

And "Stumblin In'" came out in 1979 in the U.S. I know he's not the biggest stickler in terms of that (Vitamin C and the Neil Young tracks all came out in '72 instead of '70) but that's a pretty big gap. Unless the film flashes forward.

PaulElroy35

Quote from: wrongright on November 09, 2021, 02:52:41 PM

And "Stumblin In'" came out in 1979 in the U.S. I know he's not the biggest stickler in terms of that (Vitamin C and the Neil Young tracks all came out in '72 instead of '70) but that's a pretty big gap. Unless the film flashes forward.

What about the good things?

Yes

Quote from: wrongright on November 09, 2021, 02:52:41 PM

lol

Have you ever complimented the film? Just once? Is there a single thing you DON'T have an issue with?

Jesus. At this point, I think you're going to even complain about the font of the end credits.