NEON MERCURY's ++ ps360ii Lite ++ thread -weaning you off WoW since 07

Started by NEON MERCURY, November 09, 2003, 08:52:13 PM

jesus christ , i bought this on an impulse with gambling money i've been making this week.

and i'm already regretting it.  fuck fuck fuck. not that it's a bad game , but i could've waited for something better. i think i have an addiction..

i read today that in the new phoenix wright you get to scream 'objection!' to the microphone... AAAAA
context, context, context.

picolas

Quote from: cronopio on January 04, 2007, 08:49:32 PM
i read today that in the new phoenix wright you get to scream 'objection!' to the microphone... AAAAA
you can do it in the old one too. along with "take that!"

Pubrick

wow cron, i coulda told you that was a waste of money.

thanks everyone for the recommendations, you've given me a lot to consider. i got Yoshi's Island GBA now so i'll start with the classics, my next priority is canvas curse. Phoenix Wright is now on the list too..

but now to more pressing matters. actually, first let me say that the important thing is no one got hurt. my brother loves the DS, he's 26 and has a PSP already which he barely plays. i don't know exactly how this happened, but here's the story.. i came home after a long great/hectic/sleep-deprived/starving day to find him as usual playing sudoku on the DS. normally i find that the screens don't need to be folded out more than this:

(click all pics to enlarge)

Fig. 1

which, at least in my ds lite, is a natural stop and is ample enough to accomodate any game requiring two crucial screens. today he had it open like this:

Fig. 2

which i had never tried before. picolas tells me it is normal, but it feels like you need to apply too much effort to get it there. maybe it was faulty to begin with, who knows. cos when --- knowing how he tends to crush things in his hand a lot (we are nothing alike) --- i told him never to open it that far again, and folded it back to Fig 1.. a crack was heard. that is when i spotted this:

Fig 3. (gonna hav to click on it to notice)

notice the crack across the right hinge (pic-right). the bad crackish sound is heard everytime it is opened to this extreme angle and closed again, which no one will be doing anymore obviously. everything still works fine, except when opened at Fig 1 the top screen is slightly loose. i don't have warranty cos that's how i roll. bro reckons he's gonna get me a new one in 2 monfs, but i think it would be ridiculous to get another white.. and i don't want any other colour but this one. i'll end up accepting the ridiculous offer. truth be told i wanted him to get one anyway so i could have someone to play with. i would just like to go one week without some goddamn piece of technology breaking.

and now i'm away for the weekend cos my computer's getting fixed. EDIT: and now i just dropped my phone, great. i hope you're loving it, techno-satan.
under the paving stones.

last days of gerry the elephant

I always thought that screen folding all the way back is normal. It clicks back so it is secure there without going back to an angeled view.
Not sure about the crack though...

Chest Rockwell

My sister's DS goes back all the way, no problem. Either your brother used too much force when pushing it back or something unrelated to that happened. Or maybe your DS was goofy all along.

NEON MERCURY

this thread makes me want a ds even more....i was going to get one w/my Christmas money but they were sold out....i even saw ps3's but not a ds....i'm gonna get a ds with uncle sam's tax money in april...so, please keep the suggestions coming....

i wanted to ask some of you tech savvy guys a question...in terms of technical power is the ps3 more powerful than the 360?  i read spec sheets but i am to dumb to know what they mean....i do know that the 360 has alot more RAM than the ps3  but what does that mean?  does higher RAM equal better graphics, or more data, or better a.i.?  and while i'm on the subject does anyone have a ps3?  i know i'll get one eventually but there is not a game besides resistance:fall of man thats worth playing...i havent been up to date on future releases  but the xbox360 has a solid lineup and huge titles to come some of them exclusive.....for the 360 i cant wait for mass effect, bioshock, alan wake, gta iv, halo 3, blue dragon, dark sector, guitar hero [w/ a pearl jam exclusive song], lost odyssey, assassin's creed, and theres rumors that metal gear solid 4 will come to the xbox360 b/c it has a huge installed fanbase that can generate konami money....is there anything that the ps3 can offer me that justifies the system [now or in the future]... any sony exclusives?....i know the ps3 just came out but compare the 360's launch lineup vs. ps3....360 still owned....and now i've become a member of xbox live...and i love that downloadable content shit....some of it is good and free.....and if any of you guys are on live let me know...i will play gears of war, graw, perfect dark 0, assault heroes, etc...

polkablues

I'll probably be buying a PS3 around the end of the month, so I'll let you know my impressions at that point.  Really, if you already have a 360, I wouldn't even bother with the PS3 for at least a year or two.  They're similar enough systems that if you have one you don't really need the other.
My house, my rules, my coffee

NEON MERCURY

cool!  thanks....i do admit that the ps3 is very sexy looking...everytime i go to best buy i look at it in awe...and i had $600 ready to buy one but i couldnt do it....yet....

my main concern of buying the ps3 is

1.) hardware issues
2.) blu-ray player

hardware issues:  i went through 3 ps2's....maybe its just bad luck or maybe sony hardware sucks soemtimes....my original xbox and my 360 still work properly *knocks on wood*

blu-ray player:  while the $600 is a steal for a blu-ray player plus a "next-gen console" [a la xbox 360]...i hate the fact that there are two formats  that are making dvds...and its sucks even more that some studios are releasing films on hd-dvd and some blu-ray...and heres something else...most people who had problems w/ their ps2 faulty hardware stems from using the console as a dvd player...i would be nervous to use my new ps3 for a dvd player because it will wear out the laser...i still havent used my original xbox or my 360 to play dvd's at all and i dont plan to...but the fact that there is a new console out and money always burns a hole in my pocket and the philosphy of "what you dont have you want more" will make me cave in...i just hope its worth it..

Reinhold

stick with the 360 for now. the ps3 is technically "more powerful" i've heard, but i just don't see enough advantages to justify it in addition to, and especially not instead of, the 360 you already have.

blu-ray is nice and the people on NPR say that it's likely to win out over the other HD discs, but how dense is the picture on your TV? You might not even be able to fully use an HD signal.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

polkablues

My prediction is that, in the long run, the PS3 is going to pull away from the pack, but it'll be a few years at least before that happens.  Blu-Ray will eventually win out the format war (in the next year, players will start to come out that can play both formats, which will extend the life of HD-DVD a bit), and as developers get used to programming for the PS3 hardware and figure out how to get the most out of its potential, we'll finally start to see a noticeable difference in quality between the PS3 and the 360.  But again, it'll be a year or two before that's really the case, and by that point the cost of the system will have dropped 150-200 bucks.

polkablues

Quote from: polkablues on January 11, 2007, 09:12:41 PM
I'll probably be buying a PS3 around the end of the month, so I'll let you know my impressions at that point. 

Looks like it'll be sooner than that, even.  I just bought the damn thing on ebay (paid exactly retail price for it... the bottom must have fallen out of the market).  I should have it sometime next week.

EDIT: I should double-post more often... the synchronized Alizees are mesmerizing....

Chest Rockwell

Hmm, I'm not sure about your predictions. It will take a while for Sony to drop the price. They're already losing $200-$300 per machine.

polkablues

Quote from: Chest Rockwell on January 13, 2007, 03:10:55 AM
Hmm, I'm not sure about your predictions. It will take a while for Sony to drop the price. They're already losing $200-$300 per machine.

Yeah, but the cost of the components (especially the laser diodes that read the Blu-Ray discs) is going to drop significantly over the next couple of years, as more are manufactured and the processes of manufacturing them improve, and if Sony can lower the price without increasing that loss per machine ratio, they will.  That's an acceptable loss to them, because the real money's in the software and the HDTVs they sell after they sell the Playstation.  Mark my words: two years from this date, the Playstation 3 will cost at least one hundred dollars less than it does today.

Quote from: polkablues on January 13, 2007, 03:46:16 AM
Quote from: Chest Rockwell on January 13, 2007, 03:10:55 AM
Mark my words: two years from this date, the Playstation 3 will cost at least one hundred dollars less than it does today.

I think that's a fair prediction.

By the way, didn't you recently get the Wii?