Blood Simple.

Started by ono, July 22, 2003, 11:27:32 PM

somecompany

I thought Blood Simple was an excellent film. A little slow in parts but that's always a problem with first films. Of the 7 Coen brother movies I've seen, this is how my ranking probably goes.

1. Raising Arizona
2. The Big Lebowski
3. Blood Simple
4. Barton Fink
5. Fargo
6. The Hudsucker Proxy
7. Miller's Crossing
We May Be Through With The Past, But The Past Ain't Through With Us

View my DVD Collection at http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=somecompany

kotte

Just saw the film for the first time...great film. Great debut.

I have to be honest. Didn't realize Abby thought it was Julian who tried to kill her 'till now...when I read about here.

That's what makes the ending and I missed. I'm a fool...a complete fool.

Find Your Magali

kotte wrote:

QuoteJust saw the film for the first time...great film. Great debut.

I have to be honest. Didn't realize Abby thought it was Julian who tried to kill her 'till now...when I read about here.

That's what makes the ending and I missed. I'm a fool...a complete fool.

You're not a fool at all. That's one of the many beauties of this movie: It rewards multiple viewings. It will become an even richer film for you upon second, third, fourth viewings....

And, think, you still have the Kenneth Loring commentary to look forward to!

I envy you.

kassius

I rented "Blood Simple" after going to us.imdb.com and learning about the film being the Coen brother's debut.  I think that I watched it years ago on HBO, but I really don't remember much about it.

I was very impressed.  It didn't have a lot of the quirky humor that we saw in "Raising Arizona" or even "Fargo".... but it was great story and a wonderful debut from the two brothers. I especially love the last scene with the private detective (M. Emmet Walsh) staring up at the bottom of the sink with the water about to drip down on him.  Pretty cool.

As a side note, I keep confusing M. Emmet Walsh with Jack Weston, though he isn't in the same catagory.  :roll:  <=== Just thought I'd throw that in there.

My top Coen brother films.

1. Fargo  
2. The Big Labowski
3. Raising Arizona
4. Blood Simple

I haven't seen Miller's Crossing, yet. I know, I'm running late.. and I'm sure once I do... this list will get rearranged.

The Disco Kid

I just recently watched this for the first time. I had big expectations and I was pretty disappointed with it. I thought it was pretty much standard, low-budget crime story fare, with intermittent glimpses of the Coens' true talent and future potential.

My absolute favorite shot is the one where the camera slowly dollies in across the bar and rolls over the drunk's head---Great, funny stuff. Really classic Coen brothers.

modage

where did you get your big expectations from?  it was their first movie, and it was made for 1.5 million.  you didnt think it was all that different from most movies?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cowboykurtis

does anyone know this film's budget - i've been told around 800,000
...your excuses are your own...

modage

i thought it was 1.5 but i could be wrong.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

You aren't.

Marilyn sez:

How many does this make you?  Hold up them fingers.  Lemme see!

cowboykurtis

cowboykurtis

cine

Split Infinitive

My favorite Coen movie.  Everything that is great about them distilled into a tightly-constructed, noirish thriller.  They'd do more ambitious films later, and several of them achieved those ambitions, but I love the purity of Blood Simple.  Despite some stylistic flamboyance, it manages to be a lot more grounded than their later films, too.  Miscommunication is a recurring theme with the Coen's.  So many of their characters are "out of their depth."  In total, their films reflect a world that just can't be made sense of, and the things that are important are so modest that it almost boggles the imagination.  This is all laid out right in the beginning with Blood Simple.
Please don't correct me. It makes me sick.