An Education [Sundance 09]

Started by modage, January 19, 2009, 03:37:12 PM

modage

The 1960s were a time of change. So is life when you are 16. That combination propels An Education, set in London in 1961, and makes it an unforgettable coming-of-age story.Attractive, bright, 16-year-old Jenny is stifled by the tedium of adolescent routine; she can't wait for adult life to begin. One rainy day her suburban existence is upended by the arrival of a much older suitor, David. Urbane and witty, David instantly charms Jenny and introduces her to a glittering new world of classical concerts, art auctions, smoky bars, and late-night suppers with his attractive friends. He replaces Jenny's traditional education with his own more-dangerous version. Just as the family's long-held dream of getting their brilliant daughter into Oxford has seemed within reach, Jenny is tempted by another kind of life. Will David be the making of Jenny, or her undoing? Every so often a performance comes along that is so captivating that it becomes an instant classic. Carey Mulligan's enchanting performance as Jenny is one of them. Channeling the spirit of a young Holly Golightly, she makes Jenny's character blossom on screen from a girl into a woman, and transforms herself from an actor into a star. Director Lone Scherfig's complete understanding of Nick Hornby's extraordinary script brings its many dimensions to vivid life.

"Lone Scherfig's An Education, a coming-of-age period drama set in 1961 London, is the absolute shit -- the best film of the Sundance Film Festival, a finely tuned and deeply engaging film by regular popcorn-watching standards, an award-calibre drama that will definitely be in contention at the end of the year, and a movie that has launched a genuine movie star in an old-fashioned and yet very new-fashioned sense -- 23 year-old Carey Mulligan." - Hollywood Elsewhere
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: October 9th, 2009 (limited)

Starring: Carey Mulligan, Olivia Williams, Alfred Molina, Cara Seymour, Matthew Beard 

Directed by: Lone Scherfig (Italian For Beginners)

Premise: In the post-war, pre-Beatles London suburbs, a bright schoolgirl is torn between studying for a place at Oxford and the more exciting alternative offered to her by a charismatic older man.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

I want to see this movie for the same reason I wanted to see Natalie Portman and Zooey Deschanel movies for a while. Carey Mulligan is very crush worthy and no, I'm not exhibiting an indirect love for Oliver Stone here because she just happens to be in Wall Street 2.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gamblour.

I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed this. Wonderful story full of nostalgia, but more than that, it's an adult's reflection on that time in our lives when everything is amazing and huge and beautiful. We get the perspective of Jenny's life through the eyes of grown ups, and she's beyond her years anyway, which makes it easy to be completely charmed by her obsession with French.

Technically, too, I was blown away a few times. The first car interior scene may be the most beautifully shot car interior, not that they do anything special, but there's just a great eye behind the camera, it's wonderfully framed. And the montage in Paris may be the most quintessential ever. The thing about this film is that so much is well done that it's almost perfect. Not to mention the acting, which is really the main reason to go. It's so wonderful to sit through a film where no one is out of place, every one is perfectly cast and nails it. Carey Mulligan will charm you with a knowing grin, Peter Sarsgaard charms you with his older, guilty eyes. Olivia Williams is pretty unrecognizable, but still hot in the I'm-an-English-teacher way.

The only thing I think I'm disappointed by is that the themes of the story are sort of skimmed over, but really, it's minor because the film is so enjoyable for many other reasons. The point gets across without being too heady. Definitely will be in my top 10.
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

A wonderful coming of age story that debates street smarts vs. book smarts. Carey Mulligan's range of going from young woman to little girl to woman is why she is one to watch, and deserving of all accolades. Olivia Williams, though on screen briefly, really makes an impact in those few scenes. Sarsgaard plays charming perfectly. Funny, poignant and full of great performances.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

I enjoyed it. The cultural references make this film enjoyable scenery, but I think the most lasting component is that the film didn't try to limit itself to one tone. Usually when a story is about one revelation or one dilemma, the film tries to arc the story even more by making the tone spell out the themes. An Education has a simple story, but there are many different kinds of moments to enjoy and appreciate from different angles. I guess, Jenny's experience (instead of the problem) guides the story.

Carey Mulligan is worth the praise she's getting. Her character goes through transformations, but Mulligan doesn't oversell the performance. She keeps the adjustments in check and allows her performance to fit with the tone of the film. I can't think of another young actress who wouldn't have really pushed some of those scenes to a breaking point, but Mulligan retains a certain quietness even when her character is in distress. I think the hallmark feature of doing that is that it shows her intended vulnerability and youth.

The only other acting note I'd like to make is that Emma Thompson is perfectly unmemorable. She's still our best living actress, but this is the first time I remember where she wasn't able to distinguish herself in any way. To be fair, the character and writing didn't give her much of a shot, but Thompson has done more with less than this before. I think because the role is historical, Thompson felt like she had to serve the history of the role and adaquately remember how a school director would be in 1960s England, but her remembering that kind of person allows her to be satisfied with just getting the type down and nothing more. Still, not a major demotion because it wasn't a major role at all.

Alexandro

I enjoyed it too as everyone else. She's really something in this film and keeps it all together. The music choices were great too. In fact the one thing that bothered me was the original score, which felt generic (even though it was actually a nice score).

polkablues

So yesterday I ended up watching this and Never Let Me Go back to back, and I'm pretty convinced today that Carey Mulligan is about the best actress in the world.
My house, my rules, my coffee

matt35mm

Quote from: polkablues on January 11, 2011, 08:19:35 PM
So yesterday I ended up watching this and Never Let Me Go back to back, and I'm pretty convinced today that Carey Mulligan is about the best actress in the world.

Yeah, I'd say: 1. Michelle Williams  2. Carey Mulligan  3. The little girl who plays Carey Mulligan/Cathy H