Southland Tales

Started by clerkguy23, June 07, 2004, 06:54:09 PM

Stefen

Does he even want people to understand his movie? I bet he'll offer a sneak peek at volume 1 in some issue of Cosmo Girl. Cause he's like that.

That's a dumb idea and I'm laughing here.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: 72teeththey're not mandatory into understanding it, are they?
this part makes it seem like too much is weighing on them..
Quote from: MacGuffinThe comics lead directly into the film, which serves as the final act.
and truth is, if they are not necessary, then they are worthless. but if reading them will explain the movie to u, it's probably sumthing i'd read after the release of the movie. sorta like the director's cut of DD. and even then i'd still prefer the movie without the extra explanation.

Kevin Smith did this with Dogma... he had 4 issues of a Jay and Silent Bob comic that get them from the end of Mallrats, through Chasing Amy and into Dogma... yes, it was comedy so that's different, but this is probably the same kind of thing.

I just think it's a little backstory... like how you could watch the X-files movie having never seen the series, but the movie resolves things the series brings up.

I just don't think it's a big deal... neither brilliant nor annoying.

Pozer

Quote from: MacGuffinThe comics lead directly into the film, which serves as the final act.
and truth is, if they are not necessary, then they are worthless. but if reading them will explain the movie to u, it's probably sumthing i'd read after the release of the movie. sorta like the director's cut of DD. and even then i'd still prefer the movie without the extra explanation.
Why can't this guy just make a mothafrickin' movie that is clear and understadable?

Pubrick

Quote from: POZERWhy can't this guy just make a mothafrickin' movie that is clear and understadable?
under the paving stones.

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

skye_thorstenson

me three. i like the idea of the comic and film idea, as most filmmakers are inspired from reading comics when they were young, but to have a comic that gives needed puzzle pieces to unlock a cryptic film, too much work, and too much money for me pursue. i'm guess that each of the 100 page comics will prolly run around 19 dollars.

another film that has something to do with a comic seems more interesting, being released through WARP! films.  

http://www.godwillforgivethem.com/
http://www.warprecords.com/?mart=WF002

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

B.C. Long

That can't be the real cast, can it?

Looks at imdb. OH GOD, IT IS!!!! WHY?!

MacGuffin

Quote from: B.C. LongWHY?!

Go to Page 1 and read what roles they play.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

B.C. Long

I read the roles they play and I'm still worried.

polkablues

It's one thing to be billed as "The Rock" when the movie is "Doom" or "The Scorpion King"... but when it's a legitimate movie by a legitimate director, DON'T USE YOUR STUPID WRESTLING NAME!
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

from the new EW...

Also on [Janeane Garofolo's] slate: a supporting role in Southland Tales, director Richard Kelly's long-delayed follow-up to 2001's Donnie Darko.  "I play General Tina McArthur, and the movie is, in Dr. Stranglove-ian fashion, a comment on the military-industrial newstainment comlpex." Come again? "To try and explain to you, it would be like me trying to explain Donnie Darko.  I don't know how."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pozer

heh, Southland Tales.  More like BOREland Tales.  Heh-heh... right guys?

matt35mm

Quote from: polkabluesbut when it's a legitimate movie by a legitimate director...
Well, that's arguable.

polkablues

Quote from: matt35mm
Quote from: polkabluesbut when it's a legitimate movie by a legitimate director...
Well, that's arguable.

Just because you don't agree with it doesn't necessarily make it arguable.  You might be wildly off-base and not even realize it!
My house, my rules, my coffee