Spider-Man 2

Started by MacGuffin, July 21, 2003, 10:19:46 AM

SHAFTR

Just got back from it and i have to say I liked it much more than the original.  Spider-man 2 has a better villain, more memorable scenes & a story that doesn't have to worry about as much exposition.  My only complaint is the early scenes between Peter & Mary Jane weren't very good.  This is a big deal since the whole essence of Spider-Man/Peter Parker rests on his relationship with MJ.  Also some of the CGI isn't that great, but that's minor.  My other complaint is the annoying fucks in the theatre who go to a midnight show of a film to make 'insightful' comments about how unrealistic the film is (just ask UncleJoey).  Overall, I give it 4/5 stars.  Not the best superhero film, Batman still takes first place..but I think this falls at #2.

Other thoughts:
-Anyone else think the big train chase scene was French Connection influenced.
-Are Kirsten Dunst's boobs digitally enhanced?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

matt35mm

I give this a full 5 out of 5 or a 4 out of 4 or A-grade or whatever you want!

I LOVED this movie!  I expected to see one of the best films that I will see this year and I was not disappointed.  Right now it's ranking as my second favorite of the year behind Eternal Sunshine.  I'm am so high on this movie it's wonderful!

Just as a lover of movies, this movie had everything I could possibly want in a movie.  It worked for me on every level, I loved it.  It was hilarious, moving, thoughtful, etc.  Just saying that it's superior to the first doesn't do it justice--it is an absolutely fantastic film, period.  One of the year's best for sure.

modage

i saw it at midnite last night too.  i have to see it again to form my opinion though.  SPOILERS MINOR i thought the best two minutes of the film were when Doc Oc was waking up in the lab, which was SO RAIMI.  i cant believe there was a goddamn chainsaw! END SPOILERS.  i also agree about those fucking assholes in the theatre who wouldnt stop laughing at innappropriate parts.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

GodDamnImDaMan

The God Damn man saw it at midnight at this was the worst piece of crap movie i have ever seen. I mean he's a spider-man and yet, he only has 2 arms! What the hell is up with that? Also, why doesnt he just shove his penis into MJ's anus? Seriously though! I would violate her brown eye...

Anyway my final rating for this film was a 10/10
Aclockworkjj:  I have like broncitious or something
Aclockworkjj:  sucks, when i cough, if feels like i am dying
Aclockworkjj:  i can barely smoke

http://www.shitzu.biz

©brad

i liked it.

however, the "punch me! i bleed!" line was inexcusable.

matt35mm

I agree with The Modern Age's spoiler comments; those two minutes were like movie-geek overload, I could hardly take it.  The audience was pretty good for me; a lot of people got those little jokes and there were cheers for the little Raimi in-jokes.

brockly

Saw it last night. I hadn't read any reviews or even been in this thread so my expectations were pretty low after hating the first one. Perhaps not as great as some people are making it out to be, but it was a good film. I should probably see it again though before i say something like that. It was good to see some "cryptic Sam Raimi tones" cause i am a fan of the Evil Dead trilogy. They virtually reused the score from the original which was kind of lame, and the main theme (as cool as it is) should be used more sparingly, like in the first one. I still cant understand why they used it when Spidey found out MJ was getting married. It's a fucking reprisal theme. The only time its been used brilliantly so far was during the costume montage in the first one. Just a minor complaint. I had no problem with Dr Octopus. Anyways, a great superhero, although I still think Batman Returns rains supreme.

NEON MERCURY

all right....i haven t seen it yet.but i want to be prepared...i read JBs opinions and also wanted to know from others if   you also  verify that dunst was worthless/cheesy/unatural/ghetto?

thanks.....................

matt35mm

I liked Dunst.  She was great, as far as I'm concerned.  I've always liked Dunst as an actress, though, and I think she makes a good Mary-Jane.  I'm glad Raimi didn't go with someone more "obvious" like Alicia Witt or something.  Dunst isn't a "bombshell" type girl; she's a girl-next-door type girl, which is exactly what MJ is supposed to be.

I dunno, she works for me.

RegularKarate

Just saw it... liked it quite a bit.

SPOILERS AHOY
I loved the awakening scene with Doc Oc too.  It was so EFFING Raimi.
The whole movie in general was more raimi than the first.  It's like he understood that everyone was going to see it so he could be free to be a little more himself.

Not the best superhero movie, that's Superman, but maybe third.

Some Similarities between this and X2:

-director second time around felt more comfortable with the material.
-got the background out of the way in the first, so the second could get it on quicker.
-left wide-open for a third movie that will most likely suck and lead to more even suckier sequels.

SiliasRuby

I loved this Flick. There were a few problems I saw with it but overall I really enjoyed it and it was very entertaining. I couldn't believe that I saw 4 year old kids in the theatre. One of them every once and a while was screaming at the screen "Go Spiderman" whenever Peter Parker took action as his alter ego. But, again, overall a very fun movie.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

El Duderino

overall, it was good. bruce campbell's cameo made the movie for me.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

coffeebeetle

Quote from: El Duderinooverall, it was good. bruce campbell's cameo made the movie for me.

That was funny.

10/10.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

SHAFTR

Quote from: El Duderinooverall, it was good. bruce campbell's cameo made the movie for me.

where was his cameo? PM me so it isn't spoiled.

EDIT:  Nevermind, don't PM me.  I found out.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Kal

I really loved this movie. It was everything I was hoping it could be, and in my opinion it had the right amount of ingredients: the f/x were very good, dialog overall was good considering the type of movie, and it had some very funny scenes.

BIG SPOILERS
------------------

- The elevator scene is hilarious.
- When he stops the train and everyone sees his face, its excellent, and then all the people getting in the way protecting him fro Ock.
- Jonnah Jameson and all the scenes he is in there, so funny.
- when he is trying to get the powers back and he falls off the building over the car and then the alarm goes off.

Well there were so many scenes that I remember as very good, and so much I cant remember but I loved... I definetly enjoyed every minute of this movie and Raimi did a terrific job.