Lost (spoilers)

Started by MacGuffin, October 07, 2004, 01:10:26 AM

edison

Quote from: ddiggler on February 22, 2008, 02:46:46 PM
this of course raises a lot of questions about the time differentials. since it appears that they will be off the island before too long, how can kate claim that she got pregnant AND gave birth on the island? plus, how much time has really lapsed between them getting off and jack's eventual downfall? it has to be at least a year or two before the trial, and jack seems fine at that point. i'm guessing once they return to the island, only a short amount of time has passed there and the show will pick right up where it left off when they left.

I think the flash forward in the season 3 finale (jack's downfall), is the end of the flash forwards, that all the flash forwards we are seeing are leading up to that point. With that meet at the airport, we can see that the relationship between jack and kate is almost non existant, the relationship last night was good (heck, she really wanted him to come home with her). So we need to catch up to that point when kate is done with jack and jack starts taking his weekly trips across the pacific in the hope of crashing on the island again.

Kal

I think Desmond is one of the Oceanic Six. For what they showed in the preview it seems like next episode may be about him, which leads me to believe the flash-forward is him as a survivor and maybe with Penny.

Something happened in the island that leads to them telling the lies and Jack feeling guilty. Something happened when they left, which is probably what we are saying all along the season and either left many people dead or stranded there forever or something. Maybe they decided to stay and forced the Oceanic Six to tell a lie so that they wouldnt be found. And maybe the whole media circus is to get the attention off the island. It may all be a move orchestrated by Ben.

Jack said something to Hurley when he went to visit him at the nuthouse, he implies it when he does not want to see the baby, and its clear after you see him now and how he ends up. It starts now with the guilt and eventually ends up with him wanting to go back, which is what we saw on the S3 Finale. Ben is of course at the center of this, we saw it last episode with Sayid.

Where the hell is Michael? He needs to show up already!

Pozer

Quote from: JG on February 21, 2008, 11:49:52 PMdid anybody else call the twist far before it happened?

i called that it would be baby Walt.

Gamblour.

Quote from: pozer on February 22, 2008, 04:43:05 PM
Quote from: JG on February 21, 2008, 11:49:52 PMdid anybody else call the twist far before it happened?

i called that it would be baby Walt.

Hahahaha someone in my group definitely said this as well.

And cbrad, I totally heard ERIC too! Then I thought, man these writers are stupid because that sounds a lot like Aaron. And then, oh I'm stupid.

Where does it say that Kate is not preggers once she gets on the island? I mean where is it "documented" that that's the case? It is a big mystery how they will attach Kate to Aaron. Maybe Claire will die, and become part of the 8, thus explaining the baby.

Also, I think Sun will be one of the 6 because she's gotta get off the island and have that baby.

I cannot fucking wait to see next week's episode and get some explanation to the time rip/payload conundrum!
WWPTAD?

Chest Rockwell

Sayid episode was awesome. Nothing else can really be said of it.

The time loop theory is also pretty awesome. There are bits that have somewhat hanging explanations (i.e. can't really be supported) but as far as theories go it's definitely the best and most plausible one I've read yet. After the Faraday experiment from last week there clearly is some sort of time rip on the island, so the theory has that going for it.

This episode was probably the first "OK to good" episode of the season. I figured out very early in the episode that Aaron would be the son. So many references to "my son" without any names or any visual representation, and the scene between Kate and Claire - easy deduction. In fact pretty much the only things I really liked from this episode were the scene with Jack and Kate at the end (totally negated all the hate I felt after seeing her and Sawyer romp/not romp again), Hurley and Sawyer rooming up, and Locke being a total dictator, although I hope they don't go too far with making him a foil to Jack.

Here's hoping next episode is as kick-ass as it looks.

Pas

I think a reason that could explain why Jack doesn't want to see the baby is because for XYZ reason he thought it was unsafe/unacceptable for the baby to stay on the island while Claire wanted to stay so he took the baby by 'force' and now feels bad about it. Is that plausible you think ?

Or in the same vein, in a situation where Claire and Aaron were in death danger tried to save them both but only managed to save Aaron so he feels guilty Jack-Style.

abuck1220

Quote from: kal on February 22, 2008, 04:01:10 PM
I think Desmond is one of the Oceanic Six.

i agree. i wouldn't be surprised if the big dramatic moment that ends this week's opening scene is someone referring to desmond by the name of one of the people on the plane.

diggler

now THAT was a lost episode
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Gamblour.

I said what the fuck probably 50 times tonight. HOLY FUCKING SHIT.
WWPTAD?

SiliasRuby

For the last 3 minutes I was saying outloud "pick up the phone, pick up the phone, you have to pick up". This episode was worth all the hype it was given....So great.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

grand theft sparrow

Top 5 of the series.  No doubt in my mind. 

EDIT:  I think I'm going to re-read Slaughterhouse-Five this weekend.

Quote from: abuck1220 on February 26, 2008, 10:46:24 PM
Quote from: kal on February 22, 2008, 04:01:10 PM
I think Desmond is one of the Oceanic Six.

i agree. i wouldn't be surprised if the big dramatic moment that ends this week's opening scene is someone referring to desmond by the name of one of the people on the plane.

I doubt anyone could pretend to be someone else because none of the characters on the show is a loner, except Sayid, and we know he got off.  Desmond could have pretended to be Sawyer except that Sawyer's got a criminal record and mugshots would easily prove that he's not really James Ford.

What I do think we'll see is someone else not in the Oceanic 6 that made it off.  Whether that ends up being Michael or whoever is the man on the boat, I don't know.  But I'm starting to think that our Oceanic 6 doesn't include Aaron but the Oceanic 6 in their world does.

Gamblour.

Interesting thought: could Michael be the man on their boat?

Even more interesting thought: I listened to the official podcast about last night's episode and Lindelof mentions the importance of the old lady in Flashes Before Your Eyes, and how they are averse to paradoxes, and she outlines this by discussing course correcting. And he said, "It's as if the fabric of time swirls around you and course corrects." Or something to that effect. Could THE MONSTER, the black smoke, be the island's course corrector? It's a swirling, amorphous entity that kills, ie course corrects. I think that would be an interesting revelation.

As for The Constant...at first I was a little upset that suddenly our man has no recollection of Charlie, the hatch, or anything leading up to this point in time. It made the phone call to Penny have almost no emotional involvement because if only he understood that it's been 8 years. I kind of got over it, however, when I thought about Faraday's comment about his condition being exponential. He was gone for 75 minutes, and experienced 5 minutes in the future. Next time it might be 2 hours, then 4, and eventually, Desmond will experience one year, two years in the past and finally catch up with the future. I think that seems like the inevitable conclusion.

hack, why re-read Slaughterhouse-Five? does it deal with time travel?

EDIT: if it's December 24th 2004 on the ship in the South Pacific, that doesn't mean that it's Christmas Eve in London if they're across the international dateline, right? I guess that's a part of dramatic license. Also, according to Lostpedia, on the island, it's actually day 96, Christmas Eve would be day 94. So it might actually be 26th or the 27th in London, depending on what time of day Desmond calls Penny.
WWPTAD?

diggler

Quote from: Gamblour. on February 29, 2008, 09:52:25 AM
EDIT: if it's December 24th 2004 on the ship in the South Pacific, that doesn't mean that it's Christmas Eve in London if they're across the international dateline, right? I guess that's a part of dramatic license. Also, according to Lostpedia, on the island, it's actually day 96, Christmas Eve would be day 94. So it might actually be 26th or the 27th in London, depending on what time of day Desmond calls Penny.

although it was two days later when they finally got the call from sayid, even though their flight only took 20 minutes or so. that would explain the day discrepancy between the island and the boat.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Gamblour.

Faraday's Blackboard:

http://lost.cubit.net/s4inv/4x05_chalkboard.jpg

"The Lorentz Factor":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_factor

Kerr might work!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerr_metric

Hawkings' "Chronology Protection Conjecture" is on the blackboard. That refers to Stephen Hawkings Conjecture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_protection_conjecture

However, could it really be Ms. Hawkings idea of course correcting, ie Chronology Protection Conjecture?
WWPTAD?

©brad

shit was off the chain. i've decided that not only do i like watching this show with commercials, i need the commercial breaks to come down, gather thoughts, discuss/yell, and get my heart rate to resume a somewhat normal pace. this season is unreal. each episode is leaving me mentally drunk.

that was the best use of the flashback structure to date. and the best editing they've ever done.