Lost (spoilers)

Started by MacGuffin, October 07, 2004, 01:10:26 AM

polkablues

Quote from: Chest Rockwell on October 19, 2006, 02:08:15 PM
Quote from: MacGuffin on October 19, 2006, 12:11:52 PM
Quote from: Chest Rockwell on October 19, 2006, 07:12:04 AMSome considerable leaps of logic and now the island is like some sort of supernatural being?

But hasn't it always been a supernatural being? Locke can walk, Sun is preggo, Rose's cancer is in remission, the smoke monster, Kate's horse, Jack sees his dead father, Shannon sees Walt... and so on.
Yea, that's all true. My point was that the whole "speaking to the island" bit seemed like a pretty far leap ("leap of logic" wasn't really the right way to put it; I meant more of a gap in Locke's development from last season to this), assuming he suddenly realized that this was possible after the hatch incident since he hasn't tried it before to figure anything out. I'm aware the island has always had supernatural undertones and unexplained mysteries, but that whole sequence still seemed out of place somehow, to me at least. Oh well, I'll think on it some more.

Go back and watch the first season.  From very early on, Locke has considered the island to be a living entity.  Plus, his going on a vision quest was a direct callback to when he sent Boone on one in the first season.
My house, my rules, my coffee

A Matter Of Chance

I don't think it's as simple as 'Desmond can see the future!' During last night's great episode, he seemed more like he'd already been there, done that, and didn't have use for it anymore. I think it's more like he's already lived him, or somebody informed him of it. He seemed like he knew he should've stayed mum when he mentioned it to Hurley. Speaking of Hurley, his creepy look at the end of the episode gave me the chills.

diggler

anyone else think the introduction of the two new characters was kinda awkward?
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Gamblour.

Quote from: ddiggler6280 on October 19, 2006, 06:14:58 PM
anyone else think the introduction of the two new characters was kinda awkward?

Not awkward....just weird. Because they were just bystanders who talked, as opposed to the sudden introduction of Artz, who became important to the plot.

This was one of my favorite episodes. But I apparently missed Desmond's psychic moment at the end...need to d/l it, I guess. The spirit quest was the coolest fucking thing the show has done. And then weed? It makes so much sense. Like War of the Worlds kid guest starring.
WWPTAD?

Kal

The deja vu part with Desmond/Hurley/Locke was the strangest thing... more than Locke talking to the Island and all that...

I dont know what to think of it... how did Desmond knew? And why was he naked after the implosion?

JG

This was one of the best episodes.

Locke's flashback was really just a progression from being betrayed by those close to him, so he created/joined a surrogate family, and then effed that up too.  anything in between is fluff and unneeded, it should be easy to infer.

i wish desmond's 'speech' moment wasn't so obvious, like when the blond haired dude came up at the end and said "good speech, eh."  it was clear when locke started talking about his plans that this was what desmond was alluding to earlier, and it didn't strike me as weird or 'what-did-it-all-mean' as you guys make it seem.   haven't alot of the characters had dreams that show the distant future in someway at some point?  it seemed almost logical after locke's lynchian dream sequence (great), only furthering the island as an entity. 

tensions are high and i love it.   i love the choice not to cut back and forth between all the different stories thus far this season, rather keeping it focused on one or two characters at hand, making it almost claustrophobic.

the first three have been great, here's hoping the next three are just as awesome.   

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: polkablues on October 19, 2006, 04:38:37 PM

Go back and watch the first season.  From very early on, Locke has considered the island to be a living entity.  Plus, his going on a vision quest was a direct callback to when he sent Boone on one in the first season.
OK thanks - that would definitely help. Now I just need to find a cheap way of getting it.

And yea the two new people coming in was really awkward indeed. I wasn't even aware they were supposed to be new people, which made it even more awkward.

I give the episode a little more credit than I first did but I still think it's the weakest of the first three. Just personal preference, though.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Quote from: Chest Rockwell on October 19, 2006, 02:08:15 PM
Yea, that's all true. My point was that the whole "speaking to the island" bit seemed like a pretty far leap ("leap of logic" wasn't really the right way to put it; I meant more of a gap in Locke's development from last season to this), assuming he suddenly realized that this was possible after the hatch incident since he hasn't tried it before to figure anything out. I'm aware the island has always had supernatural undertones and unexplained mysteries, but that whole sequence still seemed out of place somehow, to me at least. Oh well, I'll think on it some more.

from what I can muster, Locke thought that even The Hatch was an entity the Island had guided him towards, and then came the 2nd season.  The Hatch was found to be totally man-made and kind of even depressing at some points because so much bad shit happened there and it was all about button-pushing.
Perhaps the last episode of S2 was the Locke who has always had faith in the Island testing it once and for all.  And now that we see The Hatch is but a transient entity, Locke can move on and put his faith BACK IN the Island like before.

Kal

SPOILERS ABOUT NEXT WEEK EPISODE
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ok I just read that someone will indeed die next week. Someone very important. It was in this weeks Ask Ausiello...

Ausiello: Sawyer's not the one you should be worrying about. Next week, a major character (as in a series regular) whose name is not Sawyer will join Boone, Shannon, Ana Lucia and Libby in the big island in the sky. And you're not going to believe who it is. I won't believe it until I see it with my own eyes. 

diggler

by next week do you mean tonight's episode or the next one?
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Kal

well i put that early today.... so i mean next week, not next episode :)

also:

ABC Sets 'Lost' Return Date

Network yanks 'Extreme Makeover,' gives 'Legal' a Sunday shot

Zap2It.com

October 24 2006

"Lost" is coming back after its hiatus, and we now know when. The same can't be said for "Extreme Makeover," whose return to ABC turned out to be extremely brief.

The network has yanked the better-living-through-surgery show after just one airing last Friday, in which it pulled down fairly weak ratings. Reruns of "Grey's Anatomy," which had been airing in the timeslot, will move back there staring Friday, Nov. 3 (the Halloween special "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" fills the hour this week).

ABC made a couple other scheduling moves Tuesday, setting a February return date for "Lost" -- which will then run uninterrupted through the end of the season -- and giving "Boston Legal" a one-time-only airing in its old Sunday timeslot next month.

"Lost" will return to the schedule on Wednesday, Feb. 7, almost exactly three months after its final fall episode airs Nov. 8. The scheduling strategy is an effort by ABC to avoid repeats of the heavily serialized show; it has three more episodes to go in its initial run this fall and will have 16 weeks of uninterrupted episodes when it returns.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: kal on October 25, 2006, 12:31:58 AM
SPOILERS ABOUT NEXT WEEK EPISODE

My guess is Jin.  Sun shot Henry Gale's new woman and so he'll respond in kind.

But there's a theory going around that Desmond is dead and only Locke and Hurley can see him now.  Does anyone remember if anyone directly addressed him last week once they got back to the beach?

Kal

Thats something I thought and I didnt say anything cause I thought it was stupid... hehe

I actually think that Desmond became a series regular, so I dont think he would stay all season as a ghost. But I did think at one point that maybe Hurley was the only one who could see him because he did not interact with anyone else during the episode and even when Locke gave his 'speech' he didnt go to talk to him or paid attention to him. The only one looking at him was Hurley.

But I think it was just another creepy Lost moment... I think he is alive.

Jin is a good option... and it wouldnt upset me so much... if it were Kate, Sawyer, Locke, Jack or Hurley I would be devastated...

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: othersparrow on October 25, 2006, 10:51:39 AM
But there's a theory going around that Desmond is dead and only Locke and Hurley can see him now.  Does anyone remember if anyone directly addressed him last week once they got back to the beach?
No I don't believe anyone talked to Desmond or noticed him except for Locke and Hurley. I actually thought it strange that no one did, since I don't believe most people know of Desmond, but I may be wrong there. I don't get why Hurley would be able to see him; Locke makes sense I guess since he was with Desmond.

A Matter Of Chance

I think the synopsis for tonight said 'Nikki talks to Desmond' or something along those lines.