Lost (spoilers)

Started by MacGuffin, October 07, 2004, 01:10:26 AM

MacGuffin

Lost Gets Back To Basics
Source: SciFi Wire

Daniel Dae Kim, who plays Jin in ABC's hit SF series Lost, told SCI FI Wire that the upcoming second half of the third season will focus on the entire cast, rather than the story of Jack, Kate and Sawyer, which was showcased in the first six episodes of the season. "It's been a season of transition, I think," Kim said in an interview at the Television Critics press tour in Pasadena, Calif., last week. "Because we went from an ensemble show to one that focused on a smaller number of characters. So for a lot of us, it's meant having more free time than we originally thought. But now it's changing again, and we're getting back to the island, and we're finding a rhythm."

Kim is bilingual in real life, but his character is just beginning to learn English, and as his character becomes more fluent in the language, Kim said that he looks forward to interacting more with the other cast members. "It's something that the producers and I have been talking about for a little while," he said. "It just leads to different kinds of interaction with the other characters on the show. I think it would be great to have a change of pace for Jin in that way. ... Part and parcel of speaking English is becoming involved with the main action of the island. Right now, I don't think Jin and Sun are that involved with the mythology of the show. They have a kind of separate subplot that exists independent of what the other characters are doing a lot of the time. And I'm looking forward to seeing how they fit into the big picture."

Another change coming in the latter half of the season is a lighter tone, Kim said. The relationship between Jin and his wife, Sun (Yunjin Kim, who is no relation in real life), will grow even stronger in the next few episodes. "Everyone talks about the island having redemptive qualities," he said. "And I think it was redemptive for their relationship as well. As far as where their relationship goes from here, I'm curious to see myself. I'm sure a baby will change our dynamic. It generally does. ... We've already shot a few things where it's lighter. It's a different kind of feel to a scene with Jin in it. It's a welcome change."

As for the rumor of an impending character death, Kim didn't deny it, but hoped that audiences would be watching the show for reasons other than finding out who will be the next to be killed off. "Our show for some reason has taken on this mystery of who's going to die next," he said "And I'm not sure how that happened or why it's happening. And I'm hoping that it doesn't become the main focus of what the audience is looking for."

Lost returns on Feb. 7 in a new, later timeslot, 10 p.m. ET/PT on Wednesdays.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

All will be revealed, 'Lost' team promises
By Bill Keveney, USA TODAY

When ABC's Lost returns on Wednesday, fans will find answers and favorite characters over the course of 16 consecutive new episodes, executive producers Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof say. Specifically:
Expect these answers

•How Locke ended up in a wheelchair before arriving at Lost's island.

•How Jack got his tattoos.

•What The Others' Ethan was doing before he came to the island.

•What happened to Desmond, who may be having premonitions, when the hatch exploded in the second-season finale.

•The effects of the purple sky, which followed the hatch explosion, on the island.

•More details about the Dharma Initiative, the island psychosocial experiment.

Look for these story lines

•Resolution of much of the November cliffhanger (Wednesday), with Jack operating on Ben and urging Kate and Sawyer to escape. The episode will feature Juliet's first flashback.

•Relationships, including Kate-Sawyer, Claire-Charlie and Juliet-Jack. Interestingly, Kate still has some feelings for Jack.

•The surprise pregnancy of Sun, with some relevant questions: Who's the dad? How does being pregnant put her in danger?

•The return of favorite beach castaways, who were mostly left off-screen in the fall, in a Feb. 14 "beach-centric" episode, Lindelof says. Lost will get off The Others' island after the third episode, the first of four featuring flashbacks of original characters.

•Coming back to the second season's final moment, when Desmond's lost love, Penny Widmore, apparently tracked the location of the island.

Catch these guest stars

•Cheech Marin as Hurley's father in a Hurley flashback.

•Bai Ling appearing in a Jack flashback.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Lost Special Goes Online

ABC is posting the Lost Survivor Guide, a special on the SF show, on ABC.com and Yahoo! TV, starting Feb. 6. Hosted by executive producer and co-creator Damon Lindelof and executive producer Carlton Cuse, the Survival Guide will bring viewers up to date in anticipation of the show's return on Feb. 7.

The special focuses on the flashbacks of a core of characters, illustrating who they were and what they were doing before the crash, and how the island has changed their lives, for better or worse. The special will also explore the island and may reveal secrets that might have been missed upon first viewing.

In addition to the Lost Survivor Guide, ABC.com has made available all six of the current third season's previously aired episodes on its broadband video player. Lost returns in a new Wednesday 10 p.m. ET/PT timeslot and will air new episodes without reruns and interruptions.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

FUCK IT STARTS TOMORROW!!!!!!!!

:bravo:

grand theft sparrow

MINOR SPOILERS

God, I missed this show!  Such higher quality "holy shit" moments than 24 can ever really deliver. Hopefully, they realize just how pissy the hardcore fans got at a three month break just 6 weeks after another 3 month break, and how the casual fans (like my mother) may not tune back in again because it was too long a wait.

This was definitely a better episode than the first 6 this season.  I'm not fond of Juliet's permanent smirk but I like the character more now.  And I haven't had a chance to check the message boards or re-watch the episode but now we have a new company connected to Dharma and hopefully, some deaf lip-reading geeks can tell us a little of what Ben said to Juliet when Jack left the OR.

The big winner, though, was the "wookiee prisoner gag."  Priceless.

I feel whole again.

modage

ok, LOST is my reason for living BUT i will say these things.  this season, like Arrested Development Season 3, is not up to par.  it's not bad, it is just not as great.  i'm not usually in the camp of 'it's not going anywhere!' lost watchers, but i think this season is not on the right track so far.  we're 7 episodes in and really are just now starting to go anywhere.  (and not in the clever season 2 way where it kept doubling back on itself, that was brilliant). 

number one, the others were a terrifying presence because they were such a mystery.  THE OTHERS.  creepy henry gale shows up and has got to be evil.  they're snatching people out of their camp for nefarious purposes and showing up in the woods.  ethan.  to actually have to show the others and explain this mystery and humanize them takes away this element from the show.  i had secretly been hoping the 'we're the good guys' was to mean that THESE others are not the REAL others on the island, but i don't think thats the case.  i guess it had to be done at some point BUT still, its like Young Hannibal Lecter or The Keyser Souze: The Movie.  its scarier knowing less.

in regards to 24, i'll tell you: i have watched 4 seasons in the last month and am currently going through season 5 and the entire time the show has been slowly winning me over with the caveat: it's still no LOST.  and maybe absorbing SO MUCH of that show has also changed my viewing of LOST with fresh eyes to be more slow as molassas.  sure it can't compete with 24 for thrills but there were elements of mystery and the bigger picture that make it more satisfying viewing.  i'm not sure if thats still the case.  i hope the show finds its way and starts to reapproach greatness because right now i'm not so sure.

i hate juliet, i don't care about her backstory, i will never sympathize with her.  she is the new ana lucia.

2nd deadwood chick.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

Quote from: modage on February 08, 2007, 10:43:38 AM
(and not in the clever season 2 way where it kept doubling back on itself, that was brilliant). 

Don't make me go back through the pages and search for proof, but weren't you very critical of Season 2 for much of its duration?  Is it possible that you only recognize brilliance in hindsight?
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

no, season 2 is easily as good as season 1 EXCEPT there were about 4 consecutive episodes midway through that were a season 3 level of quality. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

Quote from: modage on February 08, 2007, 06:25:09 PM
no, season 2 is easily as good as season 1 EXCEPT there were about 4 consecutive episodes midway through that were a season 3 level of quality. 

Okay, I went back and looked through the old posts and you're right; it was just those few of your "hated it" episodes that I was remembering.  You're still wrong about this season, though.  As far as I'm concerned, they could make this entire season about the Others and not even go back to the main island until season 4, and that would be cool with me.  The more bits and pieces I find out about them, the more compelling the remaining mystery becomes.  And Juliet is one of the best characters on the show now.  Top five, easy.  For as long as we don't have to sit through another Charlie flashback episode, this season owns.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Quote from: polkablues on February 08, 2007, 07:54:40 PMAnd Juliet is one of the best characters on the show now.  Top five, easy.

She has completely taken "Henry Gale's" place as the-one-you-love-to-hate. And yet, she's almost like the female version of Jack.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: MacGuffin on February 08, 2007, 08:51:24 PM
Quote from: polkablues on February 08, 2007, 07:54:40 PMAnd Juliet is one of the best characters on the show now.  Top five, easy.
And yet, she's almost like the female version of Jack.
I got that same vibe during last night's episode. A lot of the mystery behind her persona has been dispelled, which is really my one complaint with last night's show. She's still one of the more compelling characters right now. And I'm with polka in that at this point I don't give a shit about the main island. For the most part I always thought their stories were not as interesting, so this focus on Jack/Kate/Sawyer and The Others is refreshing because it's actually interesting.

Also, that brainwashing bit was one of the weirdest things I've ever seen on network TV.

Gamblour.

I agree, Juliet is probably my favorite character right now. She's a really terrific actress.

What was with the guy from Portland wearing eye-liner? Or was it just me?

Did I miss any references back to seasons 1 or 2? I feel like Edmund Burke was familiar, perhaps other things...it's been so long, my brain hasn't retained all that information about the first two seasons. Burke did kind of look like a manorexic Chapelle from 24.
WWPTAD?

JG

some of you seem mad that a lot of the mystery has worn off, but i'm willing to bet that within a few episodes, we'll have a few more mysterious characters.   

anybody catching references to "jacob?"  

i love this show. 

Gamblour.

besides the Biblical quotation during the techno clockwork orange scene, where are other instances?
WWPTAD?