Great directorial debuts....

Started by j_scott_stroup04, December 06, 2003, 10:39:27 PM

Ravi

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
bvfue754t995e's ...The Sixth Sense...

Shyamalan directed Praying With Anger and Wide Awake before The Sixth Sense.

cowboykurtis

i dont mean to sound condecending -- what is the average age of people on this site -- i find it interesting that the majority of film listed were from very current directors -- just an observation.

i would have to say the most impressive debut is nichol's virginia wolf.
...your excuses are your own...

cine

And how many people read this thread before posting their titles? Do us a favour: Write out your list and then CHECK THE THREAD to make sure you're not doubling it.. christ, or even TRIPLING it.

godardian

Quote from: cowboykurtisi dont mean to sound condecending -- what is the average age of people on this site.

I would guess 18-24.

Diva wasn't so recent... from 1980, I believe. Hasn't anyone else seen it? At the time, Beineix was being hailed as the new Godard.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Weak2ndAct
Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanThe Way of the Gun. (sorry)
Is that serious or facetious?  (I really like this one a lot)

I really like the movie too, but last time I mentioned it I got skewered.  :yabbse-sad:

SHAFTR

This may seem silly, but Jan de Bont's Speed was a great debut.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Gamblour.

Quote from: SHAFTRThis may seem silly, but Jan de Bont's Speed was a great debut.

I think so too.
WWPTAD?

Alethia

too bad his moves since have sucked ass - did you see cradle of life????  unbelievably, horrifically, pitifully terrible terrible terrible film

cowboykurtis

...your excuses are your own...

modage

Quote from: cowboykurtiswhat about burton's pee wee?

look, lets not get personal.  lets just stick to the films please. i dont care what rumors you heard about burton, thats just hateful.  and not what we're about here.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Yes, it's Burton's work that matters, and I'm sure he's a fine person. :)

I forgot- Lynne Ramsay's Ratcatcher is one of the most impressive debuts in recent memory.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

j_scott_stroup04

I'm only 17 and I'm the person who started this forum.  I don't recall how many of mine were of newer filmmakers, but you've gotta remember: the "pioneers", as they call them, didn't have the technologically advances in their age that we have.  Not even the media's power could help them out, because the media was almost non-existent.  Therefore, the newer debuts are entirely more impressive than those by say John Ford or Howard Hawks.  Not saying they are bad directors by any means, just that they inspired the modern filmmakers to make their "greatest" pictures as early as possible.
"The sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"- Rolling Stones

"When I am King you will be first against the wall!"- Radiohead

SHAFTR

Sergio Leone's first film was The Colossus of Rhodes, not Fistful of Dollars.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

ShanghaiOrange

George Lucas "The Phantom Menace"

Better watch out for this guy! He's a hot new talent!
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***