congratulations!

Started by jenkins, October 30, 2013, 01:41:22 PM

jenkins

The search for a missing boy takes a turn for the bizarre in director Mike Brune's debut feature CONGRATULATIONS! When little Paul Gray disappears from his oldest brother's graduation party, local police are on the scene within hours, led by Detective Skok (John Curran). The grizzled old sleuth has a peculiar style, to say the least:  he restricts his search to the Gray's household, his officers take up residence in the home to pitch-in with the chores and the toughest questioning is reserved for Paul's angel-faced 4 year old brother. Brune has crafted an utterly brilliant absurdist comedy that takes frequent trips into the surreal. He also infuses his film with a palpable sense of loss and longing, evident in Curran's deliciously deadpan turn as Detective Skok and in Rhoda Griffis' tour de force as Paul's mother, whose desperation manifests itself in frantic reenactments of Paul's disappearance.—Mike Dougherty

Year: 2013
Director: Mike Brune
Screenwriter: Mike Brune

Pubrick

are you just posting every trailer to every movie ever made at this point?

this one is particularly pointless. the whole thing has an air of low budget, no talent, bad script, REALLY BAD performances. they seem to have used a functioning camera, that's basically all it has going for it.. that it was made.. by some people.. somewhere.. for some reason.

seriously this shit is one step above birdemic. please stop posting these. this is straight to video garbage.
under the paving stones.

Ghostboy

I haven't seen this one yet, but the director, Mike Brune, has a really great and finely cultivated sense of droll absurdism, which I think is quite present in the trailer. This is his first feature, but he made a really great short film a few years back called THE ADVENTURE.

http://vimeo.com/22459990

Pubrick

i respect your opinion and staunch defense of independent filmmakers but that short film was the longest 21mins of my life. are you telling me people get feature film careers out of stuff like this? droll absurdism is one way to pitch it but a more accurate description would be anesthetic somnambulism. that is a VERY long short film for such little payoff (none).

this is the kind of thing i was saying in the other thread. it's nitty gritty support local filmmaker stuff. i can't argue against it, i can see why you have come to its defense in multiple threads. it's just not very exciting.

what's funny at this point is i want to stop commenting so people aren't encouraged to watch the above trailer let alone that short film expecting something worthy of a discussion, but all this talk has already guaranteed more views that it probably deserves. it's like the ending of Penn & Teller Get Killed with the room of endless suicides. pretty good ending but not where i want to spend the rest of eternity you know what i'm saying.
under the paving stones.

jenkins

my friend picked this movie. i shared the trailer because i think it's funny the guy from the fire tv show asked if anyone had checked behind the tv for the lost child. i laughed

jenkins

Quote from: Pubrick on October 30, 2013, 10:16:36 PM
this one is particularly pointless. the whole thing has an air of low budget, no talent, bad script, REALLY BAD performances. they seem to have used a functioning camera, that's basically all it has going for it.. that it was made.. by some people.. somewhere.. for some reason.

seriously this shit is one step above birdemic. please stop posting these. this is straight to video garbage.

how can it be straight to video when i'm seeing it in a movie theater, first of all

second, doesn't appear pointless to me. it seems like they're going to use a tangible quest for finding a person as a metaphor for the personal quest we all have in finding ourselves. you ever soulsearch pubrick? do you know what i mean by that? what i mean is do you ever wonder why you exist and what purpose you have and who cares about you and things like that. i do. i don't think this movie will fully explore the realm of being human, because i don't think that is its mission, but i do think it'll present funny and engrossing moments and leave an echo of a quest many people have

you didn't say much beyond that because i think Ghostboy made you feel awkward. i appreciate that Ghostboy