Cinderella Man - Ron Howard's Film

Started by Finn, February 03, 2004, 07:31:38 AM

Weak2ndAct

It cracks me up how Universal is trying so damn hard to push this flick for awards and whatnot.  It's not some masterpiece of film, just a solid boxing movie/biopic.  I really didn't think I'd like it, I'm certainly not a Howard fan, and really not a fan of the last Howard/Crowe collaboration.  But it won me over.  I got wrapped in the drama.  Yeah, I have my gripes (the flashes are forced, and Baer's nice-ness after the loss, though mostly pushed to the edge of the frame, seemed off), but I will say this-- I sat up and got close to the screen during the finale.  I was into it. 

Ravi

Kal

I'm very surprised but I really liked this movie. It really had me interested and excited all the way... and it was very emotional. I havent really liked Russell Crowe after Gladiator, and I thought their previous collaboration with Ron Howard (Beautiful Mind) was super overrated. Now, talk about timing... Beautiful Mind was a success for the release date and it got all the Awards buzz... this one failed cause its not a movie that you want to release when people want to see Star Wars or Spiderman. If they do a good campaign, it will get some good nominations. It deserves them, just for the fact that there are not many good films this year, and that I consider it way better than Beautiful Mind, which got them.

Redlum

Gawd bless ya Ron Howard.

I was into it, too. Really into it. And now I'm kind of disappointed that he's doing The Da Vinci Code. I think he was far more under-stated here than usual and it really elevated this film above his others.

The internal shot of the rib punch was brilliant. As well as most of the other boxing match flare.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Fernando

Yesterday was a double bill of xixax favorites Crash and this one, just so I update the possible award candidates, because if you must know the theaters around here are showing a pile of crap, Jarhead was the 'big' flim that was released on friday, and yet to come around here are...just about everything else.

While I didn't like Crash at all I really liked Cinderella Man, not a masterpiece or anything but it was very entertaining.

killafilm

Totally entertaining.  But I'm thinking it will ultimately be forgettable (see Hurricane).

The only things that I'll complain about are:

-Some awful dialog (mainly by Zellweger)
-Some editing that took me out for a second

Other than that it was all good.  Just don't go in expecting RAGING BULL :)