Zodiac

Started by MacGuffin, January 20, 2005, 01:26:15 AM

The Sheriff

id fuck ayn rand

modage

Quote from: pete on April 06, 2007, 03:25:59 AM
I bet it's at least a two-disc set, with at least another 20 minutes of gore.  it'll be unrated.

No extra material will be included. :(

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/zodiac.html

2/3 disc set.  i will wait for you always.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

From Davis DVD:

Zodiac: Director's Cut

With the upcoming July 24th release of Paramount's Zodiac less than two weeks away, you might be wondering why David Fincher's thriller is arriving as a bare bones release. Good question. Thanks to one of our friends in the rental industry, we have gotten a look at a promo spot on the vanilla DVD officially announcing a "Zodiac: 2-Disc Director's Cut" arriving in 2008. Among the bonus matreials to be included are:

* Audio Commentary by David Fincher, actors Jake Gyllenhaal and Robert Downey Jr., screenwriter James Vanderbilt, producer Brad Fischer and crime novelist James Ellroy

* Extensive behind-the-scenes featurettes detailing the production from start to finish

* In-depth looks at the actual Zodiac crimes, including all new interviews with the original investigators and survivors

We don't have any other details as of yet, but you can bet this is going to be one hell of a pckage. Stay tuned for more information on this release in the coming months.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

72teeth

i was hoping for cooler "fincher" special edition cover art, but meh, who am i to complain...
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

MacGuffin

A little more info:

Zodiac to Dip Again
A Director's Cut double dip issued for 2008 for Fincher's thriller.

"Double dipping so soon?" you might be asking yourself, looking down at your copy of the feature-free release of David Fincher's Zodiac on July 24th. The DVD release is arriving with zero - count 'em, ZERO - items of extra beefy goodness to complement the film itself, but it looks like a double dip containing several bonus features is in the works for 2008.

The Zodiac (Director's Cut) DVD, in true Fincher tradition, will feature the following bonus materials:

*Audio Commentary with David Fincher, Jake Gyllenhaal, Robert Downey, Jr., screenwriter James Vanderbilt, producer Brad Fischer, and crime novelist James Ellroy

*Behind-the-Scenes Featurette

*An in-depth look at the actual crimes of the Zodiac killer, with interviews from survivors and criminal investigators from the scenes

IGN recently caught up with real-life journalist Robert Graysmith, played in the film by Jake Gyllenhaal, who stated, "David Fincher doesn't like to be photographed; he doesn't like to be interviewed; and all I did for three months was photograph and interview him...We've got that material, plus a ton of stuff from old police reports to audio interviews to new information that Fincher and his team dug up. I wouldn't be surprised if the DVD were enormous!"

No date, price, or final artwork has been set, but stay tuned to IGN DVD for more information about this and other upcoming releases!
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

picolas

laaved it.

spoils
- it's long but never felt long. it's all too interesting. factually, dramatically.
- mostly great soundtrack but i thought there was some inappropriate usage right after one of the near murders during the newspaper montage.. too rockin'.
- i think these are the most disturbing/real murder scenes i've ever seen. the lake scene was truly terrifying.
- not one bad performance. except from one guy who was in it for 5 seconds being interviewed.. forget what he said.. ruffalo was perfect, gyllenhaal was perfect and lovable. i don't usually like chloe but she was great here. and that's the best performance i've seen from the guy who played leigh. he perfectly captured his messed-uppedness. every delivery had some kind of odd, twisted subtext or feeling to it. you could sense his feeling of detachment but it never beat you over the head.
- the hardware store scene was a rare kind of fantastic. the interview/basement scene actually got my heart beating really fast which is crazy rare for me.
- oh and obviously brilliant editing, cinematography, visuals etc.

i sure hope this extended dvd doesn't turn into adaptation.

ps. does anyone know if that's the actual zodiac speaking in the first call to the police?

picolas

spoils

after thinking/rewatching my theory is (and it's a slight long shot) that zodiac was two people: basement guy and leigh. though mostly leigh. basement guy wrote the letters, possibly taking dictation from leigh, which explains the handwriting mismatch on leigh and the lack of letters during leigh's time in jail, while leigh did the killing, though they may have shared this. they were gay/lived together which explains the hearing of footsteps in basement guy's house as well as leigh mysteriously vanishing from his trailer for a couple of days, and they targeted couples possibly due to a hatred of heteros. i get the feeling from basement guy that he enjoyed being close to something so terrible and unsolvable but maybe he just got a kick out of gyllenhaal being so obviously frightened.

another thing i loved
- "just cause you can't prove it doesn't mean it's not true."
that scene in the diner towards the end summarizing the whole timeline and how it fits too perfectly with leigh goes beyond movie.. it's like a case is really being solved in front of you. and it'll probably always have that effect because evidence will vanish and the case will never officially be closed.

Fernando

Quote from: picolas on July 22, 2007, 04:23:26 AM
- i think these are the most disturbing/real murder scenes i've ever seen. the lake scene was truly terrifying.

I felt EXACTLY the same way, in fact I think I gasped in that scene and some ppl looked at me like wtf, those fucking hostel freaks may not get shocked with anything but for me it was pretty brutal.

Your theory is pretty interesting, at least with the movie as the sole resource of information about Zodiac doesn't seem so far out.

Good posts btw pic.

JG

its all about boz scaggs's "lowdown" playing on the radio in the background during that diner scene. 

this movie sits really well with me, i'm scared to watch it again. 

john

Quote from: JG on July 23, 2007, 06:28:19 PM

this movie sits really well with me, i'm scared to watch it again. 

If you're worrying it won't hold up as well on second viewing....

it will.

I think it wasn't until the second time I saw it in the show that I was certain I was watching what will be one of this decades most accomplished cinematic moments.

That's a silly way to say it... but you get the point.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

brockly

in my opinion, one of the best films ive ever seen.  loved the pragmatic, non-sensational approach to the story, and think its execution was incredible. it's the most fascinating exploration of unadulterated human darkness ive ever seen. loved the look of the film. loved the performances. loved everything about it. its great to see fincher back at the top of his game after pr. its a shame this had to come out in the same year as IE, which i've yet to see. would have loved to label it best film of the year.

MacGuffin

Quote from: brockly on July 24, 2007, 10:12:04 PMits a shame this had to come out in the same year as IE, which i've yet to see. would have loved to label it best film of the year.

INLAND was released last year.

Skeleton FilmWorks

brockly

Quote from: MacGuffin on July 24, 2007, 10:19:24 PM
Quote from: brockly on July 24, 2007, 10:12:04 PMits a shame this had to come out in the same year as IE, which i've yet to see. would have loved to label it best film of the year.

INLAND was released last year.

not here  :yabbse-sad:

i finally saw it in its entirety. i went to see it when it came out here, but there was a misunderstanding and i only saw the last half, even though i arrived to the theatre on time. it was a bizarre experience because i started watching it, thinking i had only missed the credits, but then i was watching the ending cards (is that the name? the things that go 'In 2004, the investigation was closed bla bla bla' ?)  and thought
that's weird, that they're showing this in the middle of the movie. and then the credits started rolling.

after that super uninteresting and pointless introduction,  here's what i have to say about this movie:

it's great.  it reminded me of JFK stylistically, narratively, lenghtwise. its style is cool and constructive, the acting is monstrous.  it used to be true that long movies were long for a reason , and they were usually good. nowadays it's all or nothing, but zodiac justifies its lenght because it earns its drama so well. everybody in it is confused and depressed, but they take their lives and professions seriously, which works in a movie about murders. so it's very serious, but also very organic. it's beautiful how the characters grow and the story advances with scene after scene of people working and doing their jobs. and it's such a miserable affair for everyone. they feel like the type of unsatisfied  interviewees  you see in a documentary, the kind of people whose life got boring after being involved in something big and relevant. a very big error in storytelling is forgetting to remind the characters, and me, what makes the story important and  zodiac never forgets that. by the way, this is all written by a person who couldn't care less about serial killers.

in conclusion, libia is a land of contrast. thank you
context, context, context.

Kal

It was a little long but I enjoyed it for the most part... very well done, good acting and keeps you interested even though the story is flat most of the time. I was looking forward to this for some time and I missed it in theatres, so I'm happy I was able to finally see this.