New York and the movies

Started by ElPandaRoyal, July 22, 2003, 08:23:39 AM

ElPandaRoyal

Well, yesterday someone asked me to make my top 10 list of my all time favourite films. I did so, very quicly, and the top 3 movies on that list were all movies that took place in NYC: "Manhattan", "The Royal Tenenbaums" and "Taxi Driver"...

After thinking about that, I realized that, as a portuguese who never visited New York, I have this whole fascination thing for New York as it appears in the movies (for instance, I also loved "25th Hour"). So I don't know if I really have a question, but I'd like to know what do you guys think of all this. I mean, New Yorkers, Americans who don't live in New York, people who don't live in the U.S. but visited New York, people who just never been to New York... what does this city mean to you in terms of your cinematic tastes? Does this thread make any sense at all?
Si

Sleuth

Yeah, I know what you mean.  I live in the US, but really far away from NYC, but the movies always make me want to go there
I like to hug dogs

mutinyco

The generally accepted problem with shooting in NY is that it's been done so many times that people don't do anything new. 25th Hour was good because of when it was made and what it captured. Dunno. The one thing I can tell you is that if you want to join the industry go to LA, if you wanna go indie NY is more friendly.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

MacGuffin

There's no other place I'd rather live than Los Angeles.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ElPandaRoyal

Well, my fascination for the city goes somewhere else than to be part of the industry. I just feel like the city is so inspiring. I don't know... maybe just a result of loving those particular movies that much (and that small little insignificant show that was Seinfeld).  From the distance, it just seems like the best place to live in...
Si

jokerspath

NY:
smells
is expensive
is where my both sides of my family come from
is scary, unfriendly
seems better and more accessible if you live there
has a relatively difficult subway system
was the opposite end of my geographical spectrum for awhile
is at the extreme opposite end of the Long Island town I'm from
is the most important city of the last two hundred years.

In my opinion, that is...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

TheVoiceOfNick

Seeing movies that take place in New York always make me want to go there... plus, its the hub for art, fashion, and other creative stuff... its like Paris was in 1890. I would love to visit, but Los Angeles is my home, and I have to be here for the biz!

Nick

Alethia

i love that weird new york peanut smell you get wherever you are in manhattan, ive never had them but the smell is just so fantastic

modage

ugh, yeah that smell always makes me sick.  and its EVERYwhere! philadelphia doesnt do the peanuts so the vendors dont smell like that.  but everywhere in manhattan you can smell burning nuts.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

it just adds to the magic for me.  i wish they'd bring the smell-o-rama theaters (or whatever the fuck they're called) back just for a manhattan based movie, and include that smell throughout the entire course of the film.  that would be marvelous.........

Cecil

anybody been to montreal? now THATS a city. too bad the "film industry" isnt very friendly, unless youre from the us and have multiple millions of dollars to spend

Ghostboy

I love New York, and if I can't live in Europe I want to live there.

©brad

Quote from: GhostboyI love New York, and if I can't live in Europe I want to live there.

agreed. its the city of cities. ive travelled around the u.s. and europe, and nothing compares to it.

best thing about it is the energy. there is so much action in new york, its amazing. its where ill be in a year or so, no doubt. both my parents are from new york, and they have huge families who live there, so i get the opportunity to go there a lot. its nice.

Alethia

Quote from: Cecil B. Dementedanybody been to montreal? now THATS a city. too bad the "film industry" isnt very friendly, unless youre from the us and have multiple millions of dollars to spend

i was there in march and i just thought it was fucking great.....

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: Cecil B. Dementedanybody been to montreal? now THATS a city. too bad the "film industry" isnt very friendly, unless youre from the us and have multiple millions of dollars to spend

I thought it was just Vancouver... I guess Hollywood uses all of Canada as its playground... I like the exchange rate... it makes me think I have more money than I actually have.

Nick