Brokeback Mountain

Started by Ghostboy, August 25, 2005, 02:42:52 PM

pete

Quote from: pyramid machine on March 28, 2006, 09:40:02 AM
you win b/c of my ignorance

you need to say that at the end of every conversation on this here board.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: pete on March 28, 2006, 10:10:08 AM
Quote from: pyramid machine on March 28, 2006, 09:40:02 AM
you win b/c of my ignorance

you need to say that at the end of every conversation on this here board.

hahaha..touche

godardian

I politely but firmly disagree with Pubrick, who never hesitates to let go and slam people really hard for what he sees as their stupidity or impropriety. My opinion on the "screwed" comment stands unaltered, and I think where the embarrassment lies will be objectively clear to most.

The comment in question is precisely equivalent to me saying of Sharon Stone's displeasure at being deceived by Verhoeven on Basic Instinct [the first] re the degree and kind of nudity, "Well, she shoulda known she was gonna be screwed--HAR!"The wildly heterocentric implication here is that it's funny in the case of Quaid's complaint because--and only because--it was a male screwing another in Lee's film, and therefore the movie is much more (even primarily--SO wrong) about screwing than it would've been if the couple had been an opposite-sex one. I'm very well aware that that's not what was intended, and I wouldn't go so far as to call pyramid machine a homophobe, but that is how the comment reads to me. If anyone honestly thinks I'm wrong about this, I would appreciate a sincere explanation of how. If someone thinks I'm wrong just to express my opinion of what was posted, I think I've covered that.

I simply found the comment really grim for a joke (and much more revealing than it was intended to be, I'm sure--but the revelation is very clearly there). People can say what they want, and I can say what I want in response. I think people who take advantage of the mere presence of gay sex to have an easy laugh should know that there is a very different view of it--they should at least be prepared for a gay person to have a feeling or two about that kind of response. It has nothing, nothing to do with "winning" for me--I do not view our interactions here as a competition. Some comments I like, and some I don't, and some I feel strongly enough about to rebut. And what it comes down to is that I simply didn't want to have seen a really cheap comment like that in this thread, and no attempt to auto-defuse it could have been sufficient (though I suppose I appreciate the effort as better than nothing). I don't think my opinion counts for more than anyone else's, but that is how I felt about it, and I don't think I'm wrong to express it.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

bonanzataz

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Pubrick

Quote from: godardian on March 28, 2006, 01:29:16 PM
I politely but firmly disagree with Pubrick
that's odd. cos i completely agreed with everything you wrote.

I wouldn't go so far as to call pyramid machine a homophobe,
why don't you? he is one. everyone knows he is one. he ALWAYS writes from the perspective of one. the problem here is you have been gone so long you think Neon (pyramid machine's original name) is a worthy target of some great discourse on homophobia when everyone else has already exhausted themselves trying to talk sense to the guy and now just treat him as a joke which is what he is when it comes to these matters. what he was pointing out, and i agreed with, was that you should catch on to this fact.

If anyone honestly thinks I'm wrong about this, I would appreciate a sincere explanation of how. If someone thinks I'm wrong just to express my opinion of what was posted, I think I've covered that.
I don't think my opinion counts for more than anyone else's, but that is how I felt about it, and I don't think I'm wrong to express it.
wow, i feel like when you first came to the board and took everything way too seriously. know this: what you have written on this page and the last will not reach neon. he won't understand it.. not cos he's arrogant like many other jerks we've seen come and go, and whom you would be completely right to talk an earful to, but because he CAN'T.

this whole thing, neon's joke didn't even make sense. he should've said "screwed up the ass" but he even fucked that up. no one cares what he said. he's a homophobe, we know that, we are all pretty much sick of talking about it in any serious way to him. he also loves Crash if you havn't noticed. and no i don't wish to enter into a discussion of "so stupid kids should never be taught right from wrong?" because for one thing neon is almost 30 years old and i'd consider the damage done. just assume i agree with every righteous thing you hav to say, but that in this case it is useless.

you took my comment as an affront to free speech, when all i'm saying is save your breath. take the time to look at the many pages we've all wasted arguing over something homophobic or otherwise misguided neon has said. you're not the first to be outraged, only the last.
under the paving stones.

godardian

Quote from: bonanzataz on March 29, 2006, 01:50:13 AM
http://imdb.com/news/wenn/2006-03-29/

that top headline just made me laugh. a lot.

:lol:

I've taken to reading the W*E*N*N "news" on IMDB instead of the Onion. I love their gushy drama-queen style. They might as well have written, "Big Gay Movie Wins Big Gay Honor." The term also kind of hilariously implies that there's like, some special samurai same-sex Code of Gay Honor. So many glove slaps....
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Alexandro

Quote from: Pubrick on March 29, 2006, 04:13:05 AM
he also loves Crash if you havn't noticed.

the most eloquent way to kill anybody's arguments on xixax.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Pubrick on March 29, 2006, 04:13:05 AM
I politely but firmly disagree with Pubrick
that's odd. cos i completely agreed with everything you wrote.

I wouldn't go so far as to call pyramid machine a homophobe,
why don't you? he is one. everyone knows he is one. he ALWAYS writes from the perspective of one. the problem here is you have been gone so long you think Neon (pyramid machine's original name) is a worthy target of some great discourse on homophobia when everyone else has already exhausted themselves trying to talk sense to the guy and now just treat him as a joke which is what he is when it comes to these matters. what he was pointing out, and i agreed with, was that you should catch on to this fact.

If anyone honestly thinks I'm wrong about this, I would appreciate a sincere explanation of how. If someone thinks I'm wrong just to express my opinion of what was posted, I think I've covered that.
I don't think my opinion counts for more than anyone else's, but that is how I felt about it, and I don't think I'm wrong to express it.
wow, i feel like when you first came to the board and took everything way too seriously. know this: what you have written on this page and the last will not reach neon. he won't understand it.. not cos he's arrogant like many other jerks we've seen come and go, and whom you would be completely right to talk an earful to, but because he CAN'T.

this whole thing, neon's joke didn't even make sense. he should've said "screwed up the ass" but he even fucked that up. no one cares what he said. he's a homophobe, we know that, we are all pretty much sick of talking about it in any serious way to him. he also loves Crash if you havn't noticed. and no i don't wish to enter into a discussion of "so stupid kids should never be taught right from wrong?" because for one thing neon is almost 30 years old and i'd consider the damage done. just assume i agree with every righteous thing you hav to say, but that in this case it is useless.

you took my comment as an affront to free speech, when all i'm saying is save your breath. take the time to look at the many pages we've all wasted arguing over something homophobic or otherwise misguided neon has said. you're not the first to be outraged, only the last.

whoa!!!!....hold on up here...theres to much shit to quote individually..so, i'll take this bite...

lets clear up this homophobic missunderstanding that you guys are labeling me...and, if ya'll good natured liberals will allow me some free speech and i'll take my stance on certian issues to clear my name from some of these ridiculous accusations against me.........

my feelings towards homosexuals:
simply put i dont agree w/the lifestyle...and its okay to feel like this...as i mentioned i dont agree w/anyone who says david lynch sucks....it's nothing personal to the gay person in question ..just like its nothing personal against anyone here who hates lynch...i am not one of those fucking rednecks who have a sign saying "faggots go to hell"...i do not condone any sort of hate crimes against gays either...i would treat a gay person w/the same amount of respect as a straight person...and i am a nice guy...people who i've PM'ed to should know thats me being honest and 100% genuine...now,a homophobe is someone [imo] is offended in every way by homosexual behaviour AND HATES ANY HOMOS...i dont hate the person at all...so, you guys are way off base w/ labeling me a homphobic...but  as we conservatives know......its so easy to label :yabbse-grin:

"going into this film he should've knows he was going to get screwed":
how could such a corny remark start something like this????  godardian, i aplogize if this offened you in a personal way..honestly, i think you are overreacting to this statement..the only people that my statement should offend is people w/good senses of humor...

p, i consistantly name drop you b/c i find you a great poster/person...but, dude, where does this homophobic shit come from..you should be smart enough to know thats not the case!

Pubrick

Quote from: pyramid machine on March 29, 2006, 11:55:59 AM
p, i consistantly name drop you b/c i find you a great poster/person...but, dude, where does this homophobic shit come from..you should be smart enough to know thats not the case!
you're right. replace any occurrence of the word homophobe in my post with "republican". :yabbse-thumbup:
under the paving stones.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

When I went to see this, it was near full (but this was at a theater that plays the films after they've had their run at the more expensive theaters).  Not only was it so packed (which is unusual at this theater) but 90% of the audience were senior citizens.  I almost felt uncomfortable there, like I was watching it with my Grandma and Grandpa or something.  That was only a fear going into the movie, I was pretty engrossed after it started because it was very enjoyable.

The only people that walked out early was a young couple in front of me, which was so strange to me.  I heard the old people talking after the film and they were discussing how much they loved it.  A bizarre, heartwarming experience.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

godardian

Quote from: Walrus on March 29, 2006, 01:29:29 PM
When I went to see this, it was near full (but this was at a theater that plays the films after they've had their run at the more expensive theaters).  Not only was it so packed (which is unusual at this theater) but 90% of the audience were senior citizens.  I almost felt uncomfortable there, like I was watching it with my Grandma and Grandpa or something.  That was only a fear going into the movie, I was pretty engrossed after it started because it was very enjoyable.

The only people that walked out early was a young couple in front of me, which was so strange to me.  I heard the old people talking after the film and they were discussing how much they loved it.  A bizarre, heartwarming experience.

That actually is heartwarming, and it confirms something I've long suspected: at least here (in Seattle), old people can actually be cooler than young people (of course, in other instances they can be way more reactionary). When I went to see The Dreamers opening weekend, it was mostly middle-aged/senior moviegoers, and I thought, "Wow--these people were probably around for Bertolucci's heyday, and they remember--they're impassioned and interested about movies in the old-fashioned way." I love that; it makes me feel better about getting older, and also much more generous towards past generations than I have been in the past. Ideally, a lifetime of experience leads to more tolerance and interest, though it could also lead to the more stereotypical fear and intolerance.

JG

pyramid machine, man, you gotta change that font. 

©brad

simply put i dont agree w/the lifestyle...and its okay to feel like this...as i mentioned i dont agree w/anyone who says david lynch sucks....it's nothing personal to the gay person in question ..just like its nothing personal against anyone here who hates lynch.

i'm not understanding how you are equating gay-bashers to lynch-bashers. furthermore, i do not really see how a person can be open-minded enough to love lynch's work but at the same time cannot accept the gay lifestyle. 

Quote from: JimmyGatorpyramid machine, man, you gotta change that font.

yes please.

godardian

http://imdb.com/news/sb/2006-03-29/#film3

...I think Ledger and/or Gyllenhaal need to step up and say something about their pay for the film compared to their pay for any larger-budget films. How much was Jennifer Aniston paid for The Good Girl? This is probably overly alarmist, but I have this feeling that Quaid is a unique case and something else is going on that is not being verbalized. He may just be trying to get his name in the papers with this.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: ©brad on March 29, 2006, 03:45:27 PM
simply put i dont agree w/the lifestyle...and its okay to feel like this...as i mentioned i dont agree w/anyone who says david lynch sucks....it's nothing personal to the gay person in question ..just like its nothing personal against anyone here who hates lynch.

i'm not understanding how you are equating gay-bashers to lynch-bashers. furthermore, i do not really see how a person can be open-minded enough to love lynch's work but at the same time cannot accept the gay lifestyle.

yeah, i can see what you mean by this...generally, me being a conservative you would think my favorite directors would be ron howard and jerry bruckheimer...but, i am different in this regard....when it comes to film, literature, and music...and various other creative arts ..i am very open to it and relish it....shit, one of my favorite album purchases have been morrissey: live at earls court...and the way i equate "gay-bashing" [although i dont bash gays] to lynch-bashing is to show you/xixax how nonchalant i am towards the gay lifestyle..its just a simple matter of dissagreement....and note that i say "lifestyle" and not gay people...b/c i genrally like people....
Quote from: Pubrick on March 29, 2006, 12:23:51 PM

you're right. replace any occurrence of the word homophobe in my post with "republican". :yabbse-thumbup:

:nono:

Quote from: ©brad on March 29, 2006, 03:45:27 PM
Quote from: JimmyGatorpyramid machine, man, you gotta change that font.
yes please.

sure