What's In Your DVD Player?

Started by cine, April 26, 2004, 07:29:53 PM

godardian

..."deluxe edition" contains a DVD w/ the video for "You Have Killed Me." It's Morrissey on the televised Eurovision song contest circa 1972. Funny, and includes terrible primitive-videotape editing.

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

I Don't Believe in Beatles

Quote from: godardian on April 14, 2006, 10:46:34 PM
It's Morrissey on the televised Eurovision song contest circa 1972. Funny, and includes terrible primitive-videotape editing.

Wow, how old is he there?
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

hedwig

i win this page [so far.]  8)

Pubrick

Quote from: Hedwig on April 17, 2006, 03:50:45 AM
i win this page [so far.]  8)
chuck norris wins every page on the internets.
under the paving stones.

JG

penfold0101

"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high - water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." - Hunter S. Thompson.

McfLy

godardian

It's especially interesting for featuring interviews with Jim Jarmusch and Mary Harron, both of whom were evidently part of the punk scene in NYC.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

mogwai

it's been a while since i saw this one:

godardian

Oooh!! Rope. I really like that. You know, I took this film class last fall, and one of the films we watched was The Celluloid Closet, in which Rope is kind of shown as an example of a) the unspeakableness of homosexuality in that era (the two murderers are obviously a couple and were in fact based somewhat on the notorious Leopold and Loeb, but it could not be spelled out in the film) and b) a homophobic inclination to depict gays and lesbians as deviant murderers (the same complaint that greeted Basic Instinct years later). It was really hard to explain (to classmates of whom most had never thought about these kinds of things before at all) that yes, The Celluloid Closet is right that these films do not have an enlightened view of homosexuality and probably did not do any good for any oppressed gays and lesbians in the audience at the time. BUT, from our post-Stonewall point of view, we should be able to appreciate the fineness and craft of films like Rope and The Children's Hour (the latter of which I think really works on a Sirkian/melodramatic level; how could anyone not sympathize with the torment of those characters and wonder why it must be so?). Anyway, Rope is a bit problematic in that area but still so, so good.

Me (coincidentally):

mogwai

just finished watching this:

continuing with this one:

Pubrick

Quote from: godardian on April 30, 2006, 10:38:27 AM
Oooh!! Rope. I really like that. You know, I took this film class last fall, and one of the films we watched was The Celluloid Closet, in which Rope is kind of shown as an example of a) the unspeakableness of homosexuality in that era (the two murderers are obviously a couple and were in fact based somewhat on the notorious Leopold and Loeb, but it could not be spelled out in the film) and b) a homophobic inclination to depict gays and lesbians as deviant murderers (the same complaint that greeted Basic Instinct years later). It was really hard to explain (to classmates of whom most had never thought about these kinds of things before at all) that yes, The Celluloid Closet is right that these films do not have an enlightened view of homosexuality and probably did not do any good for any oppressed gays and lesbians in the audience at the time. BUT, from our post-Stonewall point of view, we should be able to appreciate the fineness and craft of films like Rope and The Children's Hour (the latter of which I think really works on a Sirkian/melodramatic level; how could anyone not sympathize with the torment of those characters and wonder why it must be so?). Anyway, Rope is a bit problematic in that area but still so, so good.
queer cinema discussion has been moved here: http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=8846.msg224197#msg224197
under the paving stones.