Rufus Wainwright

Started by Pedro, January 12, 2003, 07:39:38 PM

Pedro

Anyone here like the guy?  I personally think he's one of the freshest guys to exist.  Good stuff.  Really, cabaret like at times.

RegularKarate

Right-right... he can definately be cool

rosemarie

Bringing a dead topic back to life i'm afraid...but just had to boost Rufus support here - wonderful music. Particularly love rebel prince, barcelona, california and his cover of one man guy.

xxxxxx
Gordie: Mickey is a mouse, Donald is a duck, Pluto is a dog. What's Goofy?....
Teddy: He's a dog, he's definitely a dog...
Chris: He can't be a dog he wears a hat and drives a car....
Vern: Yeah, that is weird. What the hell is Goofy?

BonBon85

He's great, although his cover of "Across the Universe" isn't as great as Fiona's. I do enjoy the "April Fools" video, though.

USTopGun47

Amazing.  Great pop/show tune piano.  Does not get much better.
I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.

Ghostboy

I've been listening to his stuff pretty regularly since I discovered 'Want One' lat Christmas, and I just this morning thought -- hey, I don't think there's a thread on him, so I should start one. My grand plans for this thread were subsequently shattered when I did a search and found this thread here.

Anyway, Want One is an endlessly gorgeous musical accomplishment. The first song, Oh What A World, builds to such stunning heights of orchestration that, the first time I heard it, I had to listen to it again before I continued with the rest of the album.

I also have Poses, which is quite lovely in its own right, although without the grand exposition of Want One. One Man Guy is, as mentioned above, particularly great. Very stripped down and tired.

Thrindle

"Cigarettes and chocolate milk..."

Love him!
Classic.

Pedro

my thread is back!  my lord!  

Want One is excellent, but not quite as good as his self-titled album.

xerxes

the mediocre to bad-ness of his covers kinda turned me off and i never got in to him. but a friend of mine has urged me to give him a listen, what should i start with???

Pedro

Quote from: xerxesthe mediocre to bad-ness of his covers kinda turned me off and i never got in to him. but a friend of mine has urged me to give him a listen, what should i start with???
Rufus Wainwright or Poses

Ghostboy

I don't have the self-titled album, but I like Want One quite a bit more than Poses.

Thus, take both my advice and Pedro's to heart and do the best thing: BUY EVERYTHING!!!

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

On June 20th I'm seeing Rufus Wainwright, Guster and Ben Folds!  (In that order)

Shit, I'm excited.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

ElPandaRoyal

I'm ashamed to say that the man was kind of "boohed" here in Portugal last year in a music film festival. The organization sucked, since they placed Rufus performing on the same day of some hard-rock bands... The result: the hard rock fans didn't quite long listening to Rufus Wainwright and some booohing was heard. But well, it could have been worse, since two years ago (if I remember correctly), Nickelback were boohed of the stage by insults and flying bottles of beer and whatnot.

:roll:
Si

xerxes

i saw him yesterday, and he was quite good.  although i had to work during some of his set.  i plan to watch the whole thing tonight though.  i've been listening to him a little lately, mostly by borrowing other people's cds.  but i believe i'll actually buy one tonight.

Finn

Yeah I think he's absolutely terrific.

Video CNN Interview:
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."