jerking around with good guys

Started by atticus jones, February 16, 2004, 06:18:44 PM

atticus jones

to begin...

i hate when people ask to borrow one of my dvds

my girls mom wanted to netflick my babies
a brutha stopped blockbustering me and jus started rippin me off ten
my neighbor even stopped by and suggested she was gonna buy a dvd player on account of my collection and how great it would be to watch all my movies
when a friend borrowed glengary and kept it for two months as a coaster for his coffee table i figured time to lock down...

the good guys of studio city (thanks josh, ceaser, noah) suggested the sony disc explorer 400 and i accepted...now i tell all the leeches how oh so difficult it is to remove the discs from the player and how it might jeopardize the safety of the free world to do so...

anywheys...the thing doesnt really meet my expectations on several accounts and i was wondering how you 400 disc + collectors are dealing with my dull lemma...

1) i have more than 400 discs...what do i do...get another disc explorer...do they link up? i heard the cd explorers do...i want to use the tv component and optical blah blah blah and dont want to have to link up twice
2) i am ocd about abc and dont know how to rectumfy my ass tronomical collection with this new gadget...everytime a new dvd is purchased my abc turns xyz and i feel pms...is that possible?
3) the options on this new toy suck cess pools...the genre selections are limited, the image capture for the folder is pixelated...and my tv is e norm ous lyke wendt, the titles it took me all day to type randomly dis huh peer...and on and on

if you:
a...have read this far
b...have ocd lyke me
c...own over 400 dvd's
d...have an intersting storage/display/viewing strategy
e...care to respond

then go
my cause is the cause of a man who has never been defeated, and whose whole being is one all devouring, god given holy purpose

SoNowThen

What's the Explorer? It sounds kinda like a juke box, from what you said...

I'm approaching 400, and will have to be moving soon, so I'm kinda interested in what people think about this as well.

Oh, and as to lending out dvds, just tell people you don't do that. Simply. Then refuse to budge, no matter how many names they call you, or how much they call in favors. I've managed to train everyone I know to accept that I do not share cds, books, or dvds. Because I do not trust them. Anyone.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenWhat's the Explorer? It sounds kinda like a juke box, from what you said...

I'm approaching 400, and will have to be moving soon, so I'm kinda interested in what people think about this as well.

Oh, and as to lending out dvds, just tell people you don't do that. Simply. Then refuse to budge, no matter how many names they call you, or how much they call in favors. I've managed to train everyone I know to accept that I do not share cds, books, or dvds. Because I do not trust them. Anyone.

I agree with this. Never lend your DVDs/books/CDs. If someone has to see/read/hear something and they're close enough to you to feel they can ask to borrow it, then they're close enough to you to see/read/hear whatever it is in the comfort of your own home under your watchful eyes and without removing the prized object from the premises.

Me, I'd never think to ask anyone else to borrow their copies of stuff. There's the library for that. It's very unlikely anyone else will treat your stuff with the same respect you will, or the same respect they treat their own stuff with.

Yes, I have OCD about my collections, too.

I've never heard of this 400-plus disc thing, but new toys can often be letdowns... sometimes the nicest disc players (music and movie) that you can get the most use/enjoyment out of can just be single-disc jobs of very high quality.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

I definitely have OCD about my collection. I will go through all the DVDs in the display case at the store looking for the best copy - where the insert is folded correctly and the name on the spine is alligned perfectly, no wrinkles on the plastic of the case, shake the DVD to make sure the disc is not loose off of the 'push here' button, and so on.

The trick to lending them out, don't have any friends.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: SoNowThenOh, and as to lending out dvds, just tell people you don't do that. Simply. Then refuse to budge, no matter how many names they call you, or how much they call in favors. I've managed to train everyone I know to accept that I do not share cds, books, or dvds. Because I do not trust them. Anyone.
yep.  and i dont care if people think i'm a jerk, i just dont want to deal with it.  when i went to college i lost a handful of vhs (seven, reservoir dogs, wedding singer, from dusk till dawn, interview with a vampire, etc.), and its just to painful to bear the thought of that happening to dvds.  

hey macguffin have you ever got a dvd where the cover sticks a little beyond the plastic slipcover and when you go to take off the 'dont stealme sticker' it tears off the color off the cover!!!!?!?     its terrible.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02hey macguffin have you ever got a dvd where the cover sticks a little beyond the plastic slipcover and when you go to take off the 'dont stealme sticker' it tears off the color off the cover!!!!?!?     its terrible.

The worst was "House Of 1000 Corpses" because the seal stickers were directly on the cardboard cover and thus pulled off the paint and colors of the art big time.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

I haven't tried this myself, so it's just a guess, but won't ironing or steaming a sticker off the box help it come off more easily?

MacGuffin

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaI haven't tried this myself, so it's just a guess, but won't ironing or steaming a sticker off the box help it come off more easily?

I've found that the heat from a hair dryer concentrated back and forth over the sticker loosens the glue.

Skeleton FilmWorks

GoneSavage

Schmatticus,
Since you are the way you are, which is similar to me, I would have never gotten an Explorer to begin with.  I've got two separate 400 disc Sony CD players for my music (never heard of a model called Explorer though), but luckily I've always just filed each CD after the last one I've bought.  I'm so obsessive about my music that you can ask me about one of my CDs and I can tell you where I bought it and down to the month I bought it in.  But that's a different story.  
It would be hell every time I got a new CD to have to move ALL those fucking jewel cases down in the shelves, not to mention each CD in my jukeboxes and having to RETYPE every single title.  Therefore, I think you should just put each new DVD after the last.  I'm sure you, like me, can look at your DVDs and remember when you bought them in relation to the others, and can figure out where they are in the rotation.
And DO NOT feel bad about not lending those out.  People who need to borrow things do not treat them with respect, renters included.  I have my exceptions (2) but that's it.  I lost some things in college that I wish I hadn't.  In the near future, though, it will be like CDs and instead of lending, you can just burn them off a copy.
I used to obsess about rips in the packaging, but I don't look at the packaging enough to care that much anymore.  Eight years ago though...

sickfins

if i recall correctly you still have a job opening for an assistant to

take inventory
categorize
secure/lock up
and guard your plastic magic.

if biological assistants are going dodo style and you are stuck with your mechanical problem then know this

explorers do not link up (people counterparts do) however in the future there will be more and more types like you so expect more improved models connections advances soon

in the meantime i have drawn schematics for a filing system based on ropes pulleys and an enormous claw

i realize now that my scale would only be functional with laserdiscs.  or a lot of vinyl records stacked on top of each other.  or a combination of the two

oh fuck i don't know give me your dvds

mogwai

i don't if this is relevant to the subject but i have a strange relationship with my sister. every time she comes by she goes directly to my dvd collection and takes what she wants to see and later splits. yay.

atticus jones

siiiiiiiiiiiick fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiins!!!!!!!

always a tasty dish...

low in fat...hi in protein...and whether prepared raw or well done...i consume the flavor with much delight...

your 91 post count puts my 224ish or whatever to shame...always on point, always appreciated...lean, efficient, tremenditude...

eyjey
my cause is the cause of a man who has never been defeated, and whose whole being is one all devouring, god given holy purpose

bluejaytwist

ey ghey

i have upwards of that many shiny circles

i also became a blockbuster for the neighborhoos and am now closer to a sam goody

the fuckers should rot in hell

bent box corners

smudged discs

ripped coffin casing (six feet under fucker-upper, you know who you are BITCH!)

and so it goes..

i store them in multiple benji's, i think its called..a 6.5 foot by 7inch display case from your favorite and mine, swedish furniture store (boo)

as i am not yet a hot shit director (only a solid spec script and a dream) i cannot afford an elaborate display past this

all experiences with multidiscs have made my ears bleed...
i am not telling you what to think, only what to do

drop kick the fucker

-cjw
graphics monkeeeeeeeee
peeteaeh.kom
cigarettes & red vines - pt anderson definitive resource
http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com

fortyfps productions
http://www.fortyfps.com