Started by MacGuffin, December 22, 2005, 04:40:42 PM

Sigur Rós

Entertaining film. I just hope that the studios want flood the cinemas with these types of movies because they are cheap to produce because of 100% bluescreen effects and b-list actors. Big budgets turn me on...  :yabbse-smiley:

Redlum

So, this movie is mostly, historically inaccurate but faithful to the graphic novel. If they could have combined the excellent battle scenes and graphic style of "300" with the depth (okay, relatively greater depth) of the 1962 film "The 300 Spartans" this might have been an interesting film.

As it turned out I disliked it almost as much as Sin City (something I've feared from seeing the trailer). This one was saved somewhat by less annoying, smart-ass dialogue and the fact that the battle scenes were shot extremely well. I understand from a nut on the battle of thermopylae and the spartans that the battle strategies and fighting styles were the most accurate part of the film.

In the end this film made an extremely heroic event add up to not much at all. Yeah, the spartans are completely unlikeable hard, selfish bastards but they had courage. This film squandered this fact and everything else it had going in its favour. The background politics were a complete waste of time and added nothing to the story. Then they wasted a load of screen time on some Gladiator-lite shots of his wife and son in fields of gold. Removing these two elements you're left with a film held together by storybook narration. Which is all it ever was going to amount to, being baed on a graphic novel, I suppose.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

the 300 south park episode

http://www.southparkx.net/stream/episode-1106-stream

the movie is worthless now.
context, context, context.

©brad

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

It wasn't that funny.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Ravi

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on March 09, 2007, 05:23:21 PM
I don't think I've been irritated this much by a movie in a while. I didn't expect to love the film going in, but I was staying away from reading advance word.

The film is fucking awful. Easily a candidate for worst of the year. The screenplay is the equivalent of a propaganda pamphlet and the visuals aren't spectacular, they're draining. Every shot is obsessed to be beautiful and glorious, but the sky shots resemble cliche painting and the other shots are bad poses by soldiers to look heroic.

Then the violence is just numbing. The depths is how disgusting the violence can get but by the second battle you've seen everything. Every new thing leaves little effect and little to be desired because the battle scenes really do become monotonous.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 1 simply because their were some good tits in the movie. I don't know who the Queen was, but man...

I agree with GT.  This is a bad movie.  The visuals look nice, but they're not especially evocative, and grew tiresome.  The characters are boring cardboard cut-outs and the story is pure propaganda.

SiliasRuby

This is quite a big spectacle of a movie. I popped it into the DVD player a month ago because it was collecting dust and I enjoyed it to a degree. Highly stylized and at moments it almost became too much but I wouldn't classify myself as one of those guys who hates it or an asshole. I'm right in the middle, but thank God (or something, I just saw religulous) that I have it because I have a lot of asshole friends....hehe.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: SiliasRuby on October 06, 2008, 11:26:02 AM
I wouldn't classify myself ... an asshole. ... I just saw religulous

Instantly invalidated yourself there.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Stefen

It took you 2 weeks to come up with that?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

hedwig

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Allow me to explain.