Inside Man

Started by pete, December 07, 2005, 11:25:10 PM

pete

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/insideman/teaser2/

looks like one of those spike movies where he's just kinda doing it to flex his directorial muscles like 25th hour.  I'm sure it will be good but I'm not so sure if it'll be worthwhile.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

w/o horse

Quote from: pete on December 07, 2005, 11:25:10 PM
http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/insideman/teaser2/

looks like one of those spike movies where he's just kinda doing it to flex his directorial muscles like 25th hour.  I'm sure it will be good but I'm not so sure if it'll be worthwhile.

Agreed.  But goddamn if those muscles aren't Muscle Magazine worthy.  And the story looks like golden camp.

I'm excited.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Ravi

Meh.  It might be a competently made genre picture, but not much more.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Ravi on December 08, 2005, 12:27:26 AM
Meh.  It might be a competently made genre picture, but not much more.

You make that sound like it's a bad thing.

Quote from: pete on December 07, 2005, 11:25:10 PMI'm sure it will be good but I'm not so sure if it'll be worthwhile.

Put this on the marquee, please!   :bravo:

Pubrick

that wasn't really a teaser and the poster looks like crap. but the cast is great and now i hav to see if my guess about the twist is right, so i'll be watchin.
under the paving stones.

Pwaybloe

Impregnating lesbians and corporate whistleblowing?  This isn't going to do well.

pete

but I rather he take those kind of risks.  she hate me was bad, but it was Spike's attempt to make a "personal film" in that those were the two things on his mind--getting paid to do it with hot ladies without emotional attachment, and those corporate assholes.  he's merged personal subjects before beautifully, such as He Got Game and Jungle Fever--She Hate Me was just off, but I rather him take those choices and make those plummets than watch "good" films like 25th hour and possibly this one.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Pubrick on December 08, 2005, 12:09:57 PM
now i hav to see if my guess about the twist is right, so i'll be watchin.

I get the feeling that we have the same twist in mind.  Though I'm not feeling too good about it.

Quote from: pete on December 09, 2005, 10:14:37 AMI rather him take those choices and make those plummets than watch "good" films like 25th hour and possibly this one.

If Spike has to pull a Linklater to get more personal films made in the future, so be it. 

w/o horse

Quote from: hacksparrow on December 09, 2005, 08:19:51 PM
Quote from: pete on December 09, 2005, 10:14:37 AMI rather him take those choices and make those plummets than watch "good" films like 25th hour and possibly this one.

If Spike has to pull a Linklater to get more personal films made in the future, so be it. 

I wish you'd chosen another director here.  Were you just going with the a recent example?  I mean a lot of really great directors have taken that path.

Some asshole part of me/part of me that admires Spike Lee needed to vent that.  Continue.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Weak2ndAct

I've always wanted Spike to make a straight genre movie, and it seems now I get my wish (though I must admit while watching the trailer I thought 'oh, all the white people are bad,' but that's a little jaded... maybe). 

Pozer

Quote from: Pubrick on December 08, 2005, 12:09:57 PM
...and now i hav to see if my guess about the twist is right, so i'll be watchin.
If you want, I'll just tell you what the twist is so you don't have to watch.  Remember when they used to start rolling out the good movies in march.     

SiliasRuby

A really well done genre movie that I enjoyed throughly. Spike hits it out of the park again.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Gamblour.

I wouldn't say he knocked it out of the park. This was better than a usual heist flick, because it's Spike Lee, so you can look forward to  crazy things happening.

MINOR SPOILERS
Like when Denzel suddenly rockets through space on the dolly with the camera, that looks completely ridiculous, but you can just say, "Oh, that Spike Lee." My girlfriend thought that was such a bizzare shot, but I said, "Well, he'd rather be bad than be mundane, and he'd rather have his voice than someone else's."

The sexist and racist jokes in the movie were peculiar. The audience laughed anytime they would happen, but is it ok to laugh at that situation? When the Arab, with as an American accent as anyone, continually says, "give me back my fucking turban." Is it really funny, or is it the fact that we see this prejudice and laugh, are meant to feel bad for laughing? I don't know.

My favorite part was the Die Hard with a Vengeance style question Clive Owen asks them. Then they start arguing over the actually logistics of the train routes, pretty funny.

END SPOILERS

Overall, better than usual crap, but in pure modageian terms, it's a rental.
WWPTAD?

modage

Quote from: Gamblour le flambeur on March 25, 2006, 09:42:13 AM
Overall, better than usual crap, but in pure modageian terms, it's a rental.
it looks good, but i figured as much.  its already in my queue.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pozer

This whole post may be a MINOR SPOILER

Quote from: Gamblour le flambeur on March 25, 2006, 09:42:13 AM
MINOR SPOILERS
Like when Denzel suddenly rockets through space on the dolly with the camera, that looks completely ridiculous, but you can just say, "Oh, that Spike Lee." My girlfriend thought that was such a bizzare shot, but I said, "Well, he'd rather be bad than be mundane, and he'd rather have his voice than someone else's."
It was awful.  Plus he already used this more effectively in 25th Hour with PSH.   

I think what pissed me off about this film was that I was liking it in the beginning but then the writing just got so weak.  Did any of you see what was coming?  I thought it was pretty obvious, but those I was with thought differently.  In the end, I felt like I missed something with the whole ring thing and how the thieves new about the secret safety deposit box in the first place, but then I figured it out:  The writing sucked.