recommend something from this film fest

Started by foray, June 18, 2004, 12:08:18 AM

foray

http://www.nzff.telecom.co.nz/searchAZ.asp?Archive=0&searchClass=AZFilms&azRange=all&whichpage=1&RegionID=2&EventID=8

If you've seen any of these and would like to recommend it, feel free to shout out. Sell the film to me. I'm definitely gonna watch "Goodbye, Dragon Inn" as I respect the director Tsai Ming Liang. Also Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 just cos.

Last year there were some remarkable ones like "Love Is A Treasure" and "Tape".

foray
touch me i'm sick

Ghostboy

Well, definitely see Before Sunset.

Also, just from perusing the first few pages of the program...

Born Into Brothels
Anatomy Of Hell
Bukowski
Cigarettes And Coffee
De-Lovely
Guerilla: The Taking Of Patty Hearst
Hero
I'm Not Scared
Last Life In The Universe
Maria Full Of Grace
Old Boy
Michel Gondry retro
Nobody Knows
Open Water

among others

samsong

Bukowski: Born Into This - A very direct and emotionally satisfying look into the life of one of the greatest American writers who just so happened to be a fascinating character himself.  Definitely a must see if you're already a fan of Bukowski or have the slightest interest in writing.

My Neighbor Totoro - Part of me thinks you've already seen this but if you haven't I don't think I need to say anything past the fact that it's Miyazaki... I personally think it's his best film.  

Spring, Summer, Winter, Fall... and Spring - One of the best films of the year; it's a very meditative and trascendental allegory about the stages of man.  Some of THE best cinematography we're likely to see all year... it's a very beautiful film.

Steamboat Bill, Jr. - Buster Keaton = must see, especially an opportunity to see his films on the big screen with live accompaniment.  Steamboat Bill, Jr. is excellent.

The Barbarian Invasions - A very intelligent and witty drama with irresistable characters.  One of my favorite films from last year.

The Saddset Music in the World - This very well might be the best film I've seen this year so far (I'm having a hard time choosing between The Dreamers or this film for number one).  No other film in recent memory - except The Dreamers - has provided a moviegoing experience as overwhelmingly satisfying as this one.  My first Guy Maddin film, and I already adore him.

Zatoichi - Takeshi Kitano's reworking of the classic blind swordsman, a major figure in Japanese pop culture, is as fun as fun can get.  Not his best film but it's undeniably his, and it's probably his most kinetic work to date.  The ending is euphoric.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE spend your money on Twentynine Palms... I absolutely abhored it but I really want to hear what other people think about it (besides my friends who didn't go with me to any movies for a while after I chose this one).

pete

whoa, how do you get this many old great movies on the program?
alright, this is such a great line up, but I assume you can find a lot of these movies in the theaters either now or later this year, or some of them on the DVDs, so I'm just pointing out the ones that you really shouldn't miss at all, I'm totally dead serious.

Control Room - a great documentary, this one kicks Farenheit 911's ass, but I don't think that many people will see it.  personally I think it's the best film of the year, so far
I'm Not Scared - this one was the second best film of the year on my list, the cinematography was beautiful, the acting was great, and the plot had a lot of good tension, it's almost like an Italian Stand by Me, has that feel anyways
WOW, now I'm on page 4
PLEASE, DEFINITELY CHECK OUT ONG-BAK and OLD BOY, you're doing yourself one of the biggest, most mind-blowing favors, especially Ong Bak, please, do all you can do get into that film

and...shit, Porco Rosso--that's Miyazaki's best film, that you'll proably never seen again anywhere else on the big screen, catch that
then check out the five obstruction, third on my list this year, and
the corporation
and finally, if you haven't seen triplets of belleville, see it, it's unlike anything you've seen before.

but seriously man, you will not believe what you see in Ong-Bak.  Please do all you can do check it out.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

classical gas

Quote from: samsongBukowski: Born Into This -

when did this come out?  and how can i see it?

samsong

Quote from: classical gas

I saw it a few weeks ago; it made its way to LA then.  You can go to the official website (http://www.magpictures.com/distribution/bukowski/index.htm) and see if it's going to be "PLAYING NEAR YOU!" anytime soon, if at all.

classical gas

Quote from: samsong
Quote from: classical gas

I saw it a few weeks ago; it made its way to LA then.  You can go to the official website (http://www.magpictures.com/distribution/bukowski/index.htm) and see if it's going to be "PLAYING NEAR YOU!" anytime soon, if at all.

cool.  thanks!

foray

Wow! Thank you, thank you. You folks convinced me about some of those films. I won't bother about the Miyazaki ones since I've seen them (you're correct, Samsong).  I will see Before Sunset because Linklater hasn't disappointed me once.

Keep 'em coming!

foray
touch me i'm sick

UncleJoey

The Yes Men - Hilarious documentary from the makers of American Movie. I saw it at the Wisconsin Film Festival a couple months ago. Loved it.

Spike Jonze Rarities also looks pretty cool.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.