Saw

Started by FeloniousFunk, June 06, 2004, 10:01:17 PM

Weird. Oh

This might have possibly been one of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life. I don't even know where to start. I thought pretty much it was going to be horrendous but it exceded those expectations. I watched it with my friends. We had a choice between this and Last Life in the Universe which premise sounded much more promising. Since my friends claim I hate 98% of movies they overruled me and we watched this piece of shit.

Starting off in the industrial looking mass murderers lair, with Elwes and unamed Poor Man's Ben Affleck it just completely went downhill. I really can't think of anything that was original. The only thing I liked was a transition from a table to a scene below it. I thought that was good. Other than that, the plot revelations were extremely predictable. Every cliche in the book.

1. Newspaper clipping headlines all over wall.
2. Uneasy cop with edge, black generally, a bone to pick due to partners death.
3. Photographing flashback scenes.
4. Woman who can never shoot the bad guy.
5. The clues that are slowly revealed.
6. The somewhat strange voice, kind of like the guy who does the movie trailers.
7. A serial killer who is trying to prove a moral superiority to somewhat immoral victims.

I know there are more but I am semi-drunk and cannot think of them. Please mention some more.

The only positive thing from this movie was the great line "Fuck this Shit :saws leg off: and my undying interest in a Danny Glover marathon.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

SHAFTR

Quote from: UncleJoeyThis movie is truly awful.

Quote from: SHAFTRPerhaps, the worst movie I have ever seen.

Quote from: Reformed WeirdoThis might have possibly been one of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life

I hope those quotes end up on the DVD boxart somewhere.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

modage

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: UncleJoeyThis movie is truly awful.

Quote from: SHAFTRPerhaps, the worst movie I have ever seen.

Quote from: Reformed WeirdoThis might have possibly been one of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life

I hope those quotes end up on the DVD boxart somewhere.
me too.  i just hope its on this movie...

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Finn

I don't understand the Gerry haters.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

MacGuffin

Quote from: UltrahipI have a question I hope someone can answer. Why couldn't anyone catch anything in this movie?

My question is: why didn't they use the hack-saws to cut through the locks instead of the chains?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

peaceisourprofession

this movie pissed me off in so many ways, damn, too many too count

mostly the part where he cuts off his foot. he could've just cut off his heel and saved himself the trauma. and the woman not being able to fucking shoot the damn gun and hit the bastard when he's literally 5 to 10 feet away.

not to mention all the idiocy behind the "philosophy":
a man has an inoperable brain tumor. so, to give his last days some sort of meaning and value by spending it trying to make others grateful and helping them value their own life. But he doesn't really end up doing this, since all his twisted schemes end up killing them anyway.

there is however this crazy ass little blip near the end of the movie (kind of like Tyler appearing in little flashes on the screen in Fight Club) and I just got a glance at it. But there's this little face that appears in the wall, like it's ripping through it, for about a milisecond.  So, kudos to the director for entertaining me for that milisecond.
"I choose the poverty of our poor people. But I am grateful to receive (the Nobel) in the name of the hungry, the naked, the homeless, of the crippled, of the blind, of the lepers, of all those people who feel unwanted, unloved, uncared-for throughout society, people that have become a burden to the society and are shunned by everyone." - Mother Theresa
excerpt from her nobel prize acceptance speech

Film Student

I went into this movie expecting a pointless, artless exercise in juvenile depravity, and that's what I got.   And I enjoyed it.  It's all about expectations.

I really do think it has a few redeeming qualities; the cinematography is nice, some of the shocks are quite disgusting, and that reverse bear-trap thing earns extra points for creativity.  Other than that, I found it to be a fun waste of an hour and a half.  

But seriously, you guys who have been freaking out about how god-awful this movie is-- What were you expecting?
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

rustinglass

I just came back from it.  It's not a good film, but I had a blast watching it. I liked the music very much.

funniest  line ( spoilers?):when Glover runs out of bullets: "What the fuck?!"
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

SHAFTR

Quote from: Film Student

But seriously, you guys who have been freaking out about how god-awful this movie is-- What were you expecting?

It's one thing if the film was going for "fun" but it wasn't.  It was trying to be smart.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

pete

http://sawdvd.com/index_flash.html

hahaha "on it on dvd today".  hahaha stupid typo for a stupid movie.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Actor Seething over "Saw"

It seems that Saw is turning into a horror for Cary Elwes' bank account.

The actor, who starred in the low-budget, but big-grossing fright flick last year, is seething over being left out of the film's huge profits.

The blood-soaked movie, which also starred Leigh Whannell, Danny Glover and Monica Potter, was made for just $1.2 million but grossed a whopping $102.9 million worldwide and has been a solid seller on DVD. Elwes says he's gotten peanuts for his efforts while his costars have made millions, and he's taken his beef to the courts.

The British actor, best know for headlining The Princess Bride, filed suit Aug. 8 in Los Angeles Superior Court against producers--which included members of his own management firm--citing breach of contract and unjust enrichment.

Elwes claims he was promised "favored nations" status among the cast and was guaranteed at least 1 percent of the producers' net profits. He also alleges that, during a September 2004 press junket for the film, producer Mark Burg told Elwes he "would make more money [on Saw] than he had ever made before."

Alas, he has not. Elwes says he only received a salary of $2,587.20 for his work on the film followed by a $53,275 bonus.

Per the lawsuit, Elwes thinks he "should have included box-office bonuses equal to the highest paid an actor who performed in Saw," plus a percentage of profits "equivalent to the highest paid actor" in the film. Additionally, he wants $500,000 in damages.

The suit claims that Glover is getting 2 percent of gross profits, while Potter has banked more than $250,000 in additional compensation.

Lawyers for the defendants aren't buying Elwes' argument. Attorney Martin D. Singer told the Los Angeles Times that the suit "clearly has no merit" and points out that Elwes was never forced to make the movie.

"The back-end deal was proposed by Cary Elwes' own agent and attorney," Singer said. "My client never proposed the back-end deal at all [and] is still getting paid his share of the producers' net profits."

Now the courts will have to decide how to, um, slice up the money. Meanwhile, this isn't the last we've seen of Saw. A hastily produced sequel, Saw II, starring Donnie Wahlberg, Tobin Bell and Shawnee Smith, is scheduled to open Oct. 28.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

:violin:

just buy an eight ball and get laid, cary

Gamblour.

Cary Elwes being British explains why he said bastard the way he did. But it doesn't explain that acting. There are kids in my acting class that are better than Elwes, he was horrifically hilarious. The Adam character slowly got better at acting as the movie progressed, but Elwes got worse. After he (SPOILER) chopped off his foot (END SPOILER) he jumped that shark and rode it to the end. Man oh man. Some hilarious shit here.
WWPTAD?