Secret Window

Started by MacGuffin, January 13, 2004, 03:22:15 PM

billybrown

Quote from: themodernage02haha, johnny depp turns every movie into a black comedy.  he needs to quit being so goddamn funny!

Is that cheap sarcasm?

modage

no, i'm serious.  he's so funny he turns every role into something funny, sometimes even when the movie didnt really have intentions to do so.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Banky

http://tvplex.go.com/buenavista/ebertandroeper/today.html

go listen to what Roper has to say about the ending, if you have seen this movie you would know that he could not be more absoloutley wrong

Recce

***Spoiler***

Saw it last weekend. I liked it. I agree with what someone said earlier that if you go in thinking of it as a black comedy, then you'll be fine. We generally consider ourselves connaisseurs of film, so we usually take it so seriously, but I enjoyed sort of letting go and indulging in Depps funnyness. Yes, Depp is a funny person, but he is in such a casual way that its cool. Every time I see a movie he's in, I feel like getting to know him personally cause he's so damned cool. Its as if he's himself on the screen, as opposed to an actor playing someone (which, granted, is probably cause directors cast him in those kinds of roles cause he does it so well). I don't think this film would have made it if it had been played by anyone else, cause not many actors could pull off entertaining an audience with so little that happens for a big chunk of it. Most of the time, its him talking to himself. With anyone else, it would have been weird and awkward, with Depp, it works.
As far as the ending, yes it was disappointing. About half-way through, I turned to my friend and said 'This is going good, I hope its not a split personality thing' (Yes, I'm one of those annoying people who tends to talk during movies, but only in those types of circumstances). It left me with a bit of an unsavory flavor in my mouth for a few minutes, but then I realized that I still thoroughly enjoyed it. Depp's character was so enjoyable even though he was being funny in a thriller, why shouldn't the ending be judged in the same way? Plus, it was done in a pretty cool way. The backward reflection in the mirror thing was pretty cool. And the eating the corn thing in the end was so blatantly poking fun at itself that it made you feel like you were in on some filmmaker inside joke, even though everyone got it (I hope). So you come out feeling 'special' and all tingly. That's just good entertainment.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

nix

Here's how the experience of this film went for me:

Loved the pre credits scene. Thought the complicated shot after the credits was cool, but that's when I first suspected the twist. As the film went on,  they gave it away so blatantly that I actually dismissed it as a possibility and enjoyed the majority of the movie. Depp's performace was great as always, I think he does carry the picture.

The ending really pissed me off. Not enough to ruin the whole film, but close.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

artfag

Ghostboy

Yeah, even if the ending hadn't been spoiled for me here, I would have figured it out. Reminded me kinda of Identity in that regard. But it was funny and entertaining enough, for the obvious reasons. The pre-credit scene in the hotel was the only one that was remotely scary.

Its elaborate trick shots and over-the-top twist also reminded me of What Lies Beneath, but that one went so far over the top that it ended up being a whole lot more fun.

cine

*SPOILERS*

Just saw this and enjoyed it very much. Its a real shame that the ending was ruined for a couple people as it was a nice twist. I really don't care for PaP's bitch rant because I was still satisfied with the film as a whole as the film credits rolled. As for what Banky said about Roeper, I'm not sure why he's wrong. The ending wasn't conventional. It's not like Depp had a big fight with Hutton or there was unnecessary suspense with whether he'd kill the two of them or not. The sheriff didn't show up and start shooting. So I don't see how Roeper was wrong in saying that "all the usual cliches are avoided." Perfectly acceptable of him to say that. Having said that, yes, this was a very good movie. The filmmaking was very well done and I think it was more thrilling than Stir of Echoes (which I really liked when it was released). It's worth seeing even if you know what's going to happen but if you find the movie predictable well then maybe it's just because you know Stephen King very well. And if that happens to be the case, clearly it's not as predictable as you're leading people to believe.

El Duderino

Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

MacGuffin

Secret Window, which stars Johnny Depp, will be available to own from the 22nd June this year, and should retail at around $28.95. As well as a 2.40:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer and Dolby Digital 5.1 track, the disc will include an audio commentary by Director David Koepp, a three part making of documentary, animated storyboards and four deleted scenes.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pwaybloe

Pssh... what a lousy tagline.

...it should say, "Some windows should be left secret"

cine

I sort of prefer: "Windows These Days, I Tell Ya... When Will They Learn?"

Wow. It is A lousy tagline. Hopefuly, architects will sue the studio.
context, context, context.

modage

Quote from: cronopio l'inrockuptibleWow. It is A lousy tagline. Hopefuly, architects will sue the studio.
haha.  i think the cover is well done except for the fact they should have made his face, you know, BIGGER.  like, so you dont even have to go into blockbuster to know that johnny depp is in that movie.  so that, like, you can see who's in the film from across the street at the grocery store through the window into blockbuster and on the shelf.  or maybe they should've just skipped the synopsis and just continued his face on the back of the box.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Bethie

Quote from: themodernage02
i think the cover is well done except for the fact they should have made his face, you know, BIGGER.  like, so you dont even have to go into blockbuster to know that johnny depp is in that movie.  so that, like, you can see who's in the film from across the street at the grocery store through the window into blockbuster and on the shelf.  or maybe they should've just skipped the synopsis and just continued his face on the back of the box.

Don't knock the Johnny. His face could be on every single film ever made and this girl wouldn't mind.
who likes movies anyway