The 2004 Xixax DEKAPENTICON

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 07, 2004, 02:52:19 AM

russiasusha

Onomatopoeia wrote:
QuoteI can understand a fifteen-year-old acting in this way, and even an old man like Herman, but for the purposes of comedy, it just doesn't work once it becomes not only mean-spirited but life threatening. At that point, it's just not funny anymore, even though the handling of the scene where Herman describes Max to the police is excellent. The film does redeem itself in spades in the final act, with the production and performance of Max's final play, Max's interaction with Margaret, and the reappearance of all the supporting cast, among other things.

nice argument :)
Guess that means i'm back on zigzag!
Movies before 1930 suck

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: themodernage02i just realized out of the original 30 films i nominated, only one made it onto the top 15; Magnolia.  i guess my tastes are not coinciding with those of this board as well as i thought.

I'm surprised you remember your 30.  I remember that a few of mine were on the list, but those are the main ones I'm sure of.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

a few more stats...

how similar ours is to Sight And Sound
6 from the Critics Poll were nominated, but 4 were chosen...
- 2001, Vertigo, Citizen Kane, Godfather, 8 1/2, Singin' in the Rain
6 from the Directors Poll were nominated, but 5 were chosen...
- Seven Samurai, Vertigo, Dr Strangelove, 8 1/2, The Godfather, Citizen Kane

of the foreign films nominated, which there were 5 total (i believe), 4 made the cut: 400 Blows, 8 1/2, My Life to Live, Seven Samurai.  (Amelie did not.)

the oldest film on this list was Citizen Kane (1941) and the newest, Punch-Drunk Love (2002).  and chronologically... Seven Samurai (1954), Vertigo (1958), 400 Blows (1959), My Life To Live (1962), 8 1/2 (1963), Dr. Strangelove (1964), 2001 (1968), A Clockwork Orange (1971).  Taxi Driver (1976), Pulp Fiction (1994), Fight Club (1999), Magnolia (1999), Mulholland Dr. (2001).
that makes the SIXTIES! the most popular decade for films with FOUR films on the list.  40's - 1.  50's - 3. 60's - 4. 70's - 2. 80's - 0. 90's - 3. 00's - 2.
i thought the seventies was the golden era?  and oh where was my beloved eighties with all the movies i grew up with?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Rudie Obias

obviously, MAGNOLIA, duh!  brilliant!  brilliant!  brilliant!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: CinephileWhich reminds me, when can people list off what they voted for in the top 10 and/or 30?

Go for it.

SoNowThen

1. Magnolia
2. Taxi Driver
3. Vivre sa vie (My Life To Live)
4. 8 1/2
5. Raging Bull
6. Glengarry Glen Ross
7. A Clockwork Orange
8. Ghostbusters
9. Walkabout
10. The Conformist
11. Apocalypse Now
12. LA Confidential
13. Salesman
14. American Movie
15. Boogie Nights
16. Jackie Brown
17. Zelig
18. The Last Temptation of Christ
19. Buffalo '66
20. Brazil
21. Catch 22
22. Amarcord
23. Carnal Knowledge
24. Short Cuts
25. The Big Lebowski
26. Badlands
27. Days Of Heaven
28. Fight Club
29. The Third Man
30. The Big Deal On Madonna Street

(no particular order after the first ten)
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

Aliens
Amelie
Annie Hall
Apartment, The
Army Of Darkness
Batman (1989)
Big Trouble In Little China
Casablanca
CQ
Empire Strikes Back, The
ET: The Extra Terrestrial
Eyes Wide Shut
Forrest Gump
Good The Bad And The Ugly, The
Goodfellas
Good Will Hunting
Great Expectations (1998)
It's A Wonderful Life
Jerry Maguire
Kill Bill: Volume One
La Dolce Vita
Magnolia
Moulin Rouge! (2001)
Raising Arizona
Rear Window (1954)
Rio Bravo
Rushmore
Total Recall
Touch Of Evil
Toy Story
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Vile5

i think this list shows how young we are, maybe if we'd be 40, Citizen Kane, or Seven Samurai, or 8 1/2 will be number one, and this list'd have been like many others, i mean not at all special, even so i'd put Apocalypse Now or Psycho instead of Fight Club and PDL (i really liked this movie but i don't think it's better than other master pieces)
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

Pas

1-Annie Hall
2-Mullholand Drive
3-Casablanca
4-Blue Velvet
5-C'era una volta il West
6-Citizen Kane
7-The Royal Tenenbaums
8-High Fidelity
9-Manhattan
10-Adaptation
11-One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
12-Brazil
13-Best in Show
14-The Godfather
15-Matrix Reloaded
16-Wu Ho Cang Long (Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon)
17-Vertigo
18-Punch Drunk Love
19-Stranger than Paradise
20-Down by Law
21-Amelie
22-Lion in Winter
23-Rashomon
24-Princess Mononoke
25-Hard Boiled
26-Ghost Dog
27-Wong Fei-Hung (Once Upon a Time in China)
28-Dragon Inn
29-The Killer
30-Talented Mr Ripley

SoNowThen

Quote from: Pas Rapport8-High Fidelity

A very good little movie that doesn't get the respect it deserves (I think because all the brits are still pissed off at the location change).
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ono

My top 30.  Sometimes I question my some of these choices.  It was so hard to narrow it down.  My top 10 in bold, rank in parenthesis.

12 Angry Men
25th Hour
American Beauty
Annie Hall (7)
Big Lebowski, The (9)
Boogie Nights
Clockwork Orange, A (10)
Contact
Dancer in the Dark
Donnie Darko (8 )
Eyes Wide Shut (6)
Fabuleux destin d’Amélie Poulain, Le (5)
Fight Club  (3)
Groundhog Day
Hard Eight
Ice Storm, The
Lost in Translation
Magnolia (1)
Princess Bride, The
Pulp Fiction (4)
Punch-Drunk Love (2)
Ran
Requiem for a Dream
Shawshank Redemption, The
Singin' in the Rain
Storytelling
Waking Life
When Harry Met Sally...
Wizard of Oz, The
Wonder Boys

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: themodernage02a few more stats...

I think JB's original fear of our list replicating that list has been met. I really don't like it at all.

Quote from: themodernage02of the foreign films nominated, which there were 5 total (i believe), 4 made the cut: 400 Blows, 8 1/2, My Life to Live, Seven Samurai.  (Amelie did not.)

That's insane. Amelie seemed like the only one out of the bunch that really was represented with discussion and love from the forum. I'll even go out on a limb and say the 400 Blows prolly wasn't discussed anywhere here in the last 6 months.

Quote from: themodernage02that makes the SIXTIES! the most popular decade for films with FOUR films on the list.  40's - 1.  50's - 3. 60's - 4. 70's - 2. 80's - 0. 90's - 3. 00's - 2.
i thought the seventies was the golden era?  and oh where was my beloved eighties with all the movies i grew up with?

For World Cinema and not just Indepedent American films, the 60s are more of a Golden era. The only major foreign filmmaker (that I can think of) who progressed from the 60s to the 70s was Ingmar Bergman.

NEON MERCURY

..... 8) damn.... those are some good lists

here is my 30...then my top 10in bold.........in parentheis..come the order of "bestness"

8 1/2
2001: A Space Odyssey
Adaptation(10)
American Beauty
Amores Perros
Apocalypse Now: Redux
Blue Velvet(7)
Dead Ringers
Eyes Wide Shut(8.)
Fargo
The Godfather I
The Godfather II(6)
The Ice Storm
Irreversible
Jackie Brown(4)
JFK
Leaving Las Vegas
The Lord of the Rings:  Fellowship of the Ring(3)
Magnolia(5)
Mulholland Dr.(2)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Requiem for a Dream(1)
The Shining(9)
Spirited Away
Talk to Her
The Thin Red Line
Traffic
Twin Peaks:  Fire Walk With Me
What's Eating Gilbert Grape?
Wonder Boys

SoNowThen

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: themodernage02a few more stats...

I think JB's original fear of our list replicating that list has been met. I really don't like it at all.

Quote from: themodernage02of the foreign films nominated, which there were 5 total (i believe), 4 made the cut: 400 Blows, 8 1/2, My Life to Live, Seven Samurai.  (Amelie did not.)

That's insane. Amelie seemed like the only one out of the bunch that really was represented with discussion and love from the forum. I'll even go out on a limb and say the 400 Blows prolly wasn't discussed anywhere here in the last 6 months.

Quote from: themodernage02that makes the SIXTIES! the most popular decade for films with FOUR films on the list.  40's - 1.  50's - 3. 60's - 4. 70's - 2. 80's - 0. 90's - 3. 00's - 2.

For World Cinema and not just Indepedent American films, the 60s are more of a Golden era. The only major foreign filmmaker (that I can think of) who progressed from the 60s to the 70s was Ingmar Bergman.

Fellini made Amarcord in the 70's.
Kubrick progressed pretty well, too.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: SoNowThenFellini made Amarcord in the 70's.
Kubrick progressed pretty well, too.

Fellini did make Amarcord, but career-wise, I don't think he progressed at all. His bad/good film ratio in the 70s is pretty high. To save a large Kubrick argument, let me just say he's American and outside my original argument.