Ratings anomaly

Started by godardian, November 23, 2003, 01:03:09 PM

godardian

I recently got the The Hospital on DVD.

Its release date is 1971.

Its rating (on the DVD) is PG-13.

As far as I know, the PG-13 rating did not exist until 1984.

How can this be? Isn't it much too costly to re-submit a film to the MPAA ratings board just for a DVD release?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

ono

IMDb says it was re-rated in 1997.  Perhaps this is because it was brought back to the screen.  I know of some films where that happens.  Lots of films made back in the 70s-ish had extreme content that was rated PG because it wasn't extreme enough to be rated X.  And some films rated X were relegated back to R when one of the many ratings shifts took place.  First films that come to mind are Midnight Cowboy and A Clockwork Orange.  Heh, and pretty much anything by Russ Meyer.  :-D

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067217/

godardian

How odd... I can only assume that the original rating was R, and they wanted it re-rated so that maybe the bigger video chains would be more likely to purchase more copies because it could then be rented out to anyone, even under 17...? Seems like a lot of bother for not much, but I don't claim to have full understanding of all the complexities.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

ono

The original rating was GP, actually, which was removed because of the confusion with PG.  I think that's what was replaced with R, come to think of it.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I heard there was once a rating of C for Condemned and it was made by religious people warning other religious people not see it.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

godardian

Quote from: Walrus, KookookajoobI heard there was once a rating of C for Condemned and it was made by religious people warning other religious people not see it.

Yes. The Catholics, I believe. That doesn't have any bearing (thankfully) on labeling or advertising, though.