Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Started by MacGuffin, February 17, 2003, 02:42:48 AM

picolas

if they'd cut "damn, i thought that was closer." and "not as easy as it used to be" i could've been excited for this. WHY IN GOD'S NAME WOULD HE SAY "DAMN, I THOUGHT THAT WAS CLOSER"? George Lucas. but why couldn't Spielberg just cut that in editing? while George wasn't looking. from what i've seen, that is perhaps the worst moment of Harrison Ford's career. Indianna Jones should've been killed in the middle of that sentence. including the new, godawful, sense-defying ending for Return of the Jedi, i've never felt the urge to punch Lucas in the mouth. i feel it now. how could that line have been written, much less approved, then said, then edited into the trailer. i fear for what isn't in that trailer. i bet lots more moments where Jones fails to do something because he's gotten older and then says "damn, i thought i did that!" and the bad guys wait for him to successfully do it.

Stefen

I wonder how many times Indy will say "I'm getting too old for this"

Over/under is set at 17.

I'm going over. Any suckers wanna take that bet?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

bonanzataz

you people are fucking out of your minds.

this trailer is great! i've watched it a bunch of times already and i ate those "not as easy at it used to be" and "i thought that was closer lines" right up! that shit is fucking gold! this movie looks fun, fuck y'all.

also, you're all wrong. temple of doom is the best indy movie.

so blow it out your asses.

i swear on my mother's life there is not a trace of irony in this post.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Redlum on February 14, 2008, 12:43:22 PM
Regardless of how you wish to enjoy and interpret the films, do you not think the characters themselves should be taking every second of what transpires as seriously as those in any dramatic movie? It isn't that the characters in Raiders are any deeper than those in subsequent outings, it's just that certain styling are introduced that remove their mystique. I am no longer able to suspend my disbelief the moment the actors stop suspending theirs.

First off, the meaning of the main characters are more important in The Last Crusade than in Raiders. In Raiders we understand Indiana Jones is a cocky somewhat irreverent treasure hunter. In the Last Crusade we understand his search for treasures is driven by his need to impress his father. We also understand Indiana's father a great deal. Your idea of drama and meaning has to do with the supporting characters, but they didn't even have dramatic purposes in Raiders anyways. They were cardboard cut outs of an action serial molding. If the original purpose was dramatic then their characters would have had emotional baggage. They don't. Straight laced characterization isn't necessarily dramatic.

RegularKarate

I'm sorry, but I think a lot of you are becoming kind of jaded snobs... this trailer was fun and it got me excited to see the movie.

Can't you just let go? 

Is it going to be as good as any of the first three?  Hell no... is it going to be a fun time with Indiana Jones?  YES!

Pozer

exactly.  you guys would give a cold shoulder to Indy shooting the Samurai dude wouldnt you, you sick sons of bitches?!

cinemanarchist

I liked Jones growing up but don't have a soft spot for him the way most people my age seem to. Coming at it from a totally unattached standpoint that trailer was put together horribly! Seriously, the trailer for Jumper was cut together better than this...That being said, this will obviously be 100 times better than Jumper...unless of course Lucas co-wrote that too. Would someone please just lock that guy in his Scrooge McDuck money vault and not let him out?
My assholeness knows no bounds.

MacGuffin

Say what you will about the one-liners and the trailer, but that shot of the fedora then panning up to the iconic silhouette of Indy in shadow is beautiful.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cinemanarchist

I'm waiting to see the trailer and movie on the big screen before I make any real judgements. I want to have fun, I swear that I do.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

polkablues

They turned one of the iconic figures of my childhood into a snarky, overly-self-conscious video game.  The first time I watched the trailer, I thought I might have been overreacting, but no.  Subsequent viewings have just been more salt in the wound.  The pain is just too much to bear anymore.  Fuck you, George Lucas.  Fuck you, Steven Spielberg.  I'm out.  I wash my hands of it.  Wake me when Tintin comes out.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gold Trumpet

I thought it looked like every other Indiana Jones movie.

polkablues

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on February 19, 2008, 02:00:49 AM

I think the "Live Free or Die Hard" analogy is an apt one.  Granted, it resembled the previous movies in that it had Bruce Willis and action sequences, but the actual content of the film was a betrayal of the qualities that made the previous iterations special and memorable.  Again, I know I'm basing this entirely on an early trailer, but until I get some new information that allays these fears of mine, they're not going to go away on their own.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: polkablues on February 19, 2008, 03:15:22 AM
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on February 19, 2008, 02:00:49 AM

I think the "Live Free or Die Hard" analogy is an apt one.  Granted, it resembled the previous movies in that it had Bruce Willis and action sequences, but the actual content of the film was a betrayal of the qualities that made the previous iterations special and memorable.  Again, I know I'm basing this entirely on an early trailer, but until I get some new information that allays these fears of mine, they're not going to go away on their own.

I really don't see how you come to this conclusion. There is no new gross exaggerated action sequence that is the equivalent of Bruce Willis taking on a fighter jet. In fact, compared to Temple of Doom, this sequel looks pretty tame. Also considering no Indiana Jones movie escapes corny dialogue, I thought the cheap age references were to be expected. Every Indiana Jones movie, if forced to be rolled out in a similar 40 second teaser trailer, would look pretty much like this film.

Alexandro

I don't know what to conclude about the movie itself...but it has to be better than that shitty trailer. As a trailer it's an amateurish piece of shit. It's obviously trying to sell Indy to the preteens or something. The one liners may suck here but work within the movie. One sure thing is that Spielberg's never been too good with comedy.

polkablues

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on February 19, 2008, 05:46:22 AM
I really don't see how you come to this conclusion. There is no new gross exaggerated action sequence that is the equivalent of Bruce Willis taking on a fighter jet. In fact, compared to Temple of Doom, this sequel looks pretty tame. Also considering no Indiana Jones movie escapes corny dialogue, I thought the cheap age references were to be expected. Every Indiana Jones movie, if forced to be rolled out in a similar 40 second teaser trailer, would look pretty much like this film.

The corny dialogue I'm fine with.  I actually think the whole "Part time!" thing is a great bit of Indy dialogue.  I take issue with the action scenes that are so CGI-heavy they might as well have made an animated film.  Between the swinging on and off of cars, and that bit with the jeeps on the edge of the cliff, this looks to be a movie that makes Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow look realistic by comparison.

Harrison Ford is 65 years old.  His character should not be performing feats more wildly improbably than what he was doing 25 years ago.  Indiana Jones is a character who knows his limitations, who will pull out his gun and shoot a dude when he's too tired to have a sword fight.  But what this trailer shows is a character without limitations.  A superhero.  He seems completely unfazed by the fact that he's just been thrown spine-first through the windshield of a speeding truck, or that he's being yanked around by that whip hard enough to dislocate both shoulders.