editorial

Started by mutinyco, July 27, 2003, 06:38:37 PM

mutinyco

We've started a weekly editorial at MovieNavigator. To see our first installment go to:

http://movienavigator.org/editorial.htm
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

ono

That text needs to be darker.

And your editorial was wandering, baseless, and had no point.  And Finding Nemo was brilliant.  Sheesh.

mutinyco

make your screen darker. :)
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

ono

Quote from: mutinycomake your screen darker. :)
No.  As a web designer, it's your responsibility to cater to your users.  Not the other way around.  Try picking up a web design book or something.  I had to highlight all the text just to be able to read it.

mutinyco

Actually, you're the only person who's complained. Most people have offered compliments. I, myself, like gray. It stays. Sorry you had trouble reading it.

-St. Joe

mutinyco

You're right. It was wandering and baseless. It was intentional. It's merely a series of thoughts. Anything I think about that's worthy of tighter plotting and greater elaboration would wind up as a full-length essay.

-St. Joe

modage

I wound up turning off 2001: A Space Odyssey after 25 minutes. If this is one of the best films ever made, then we're in worse shape than I thought. Under no circumstance should a movie featuring a bunch of monkeys eating and beating each other up be considered the best film. Twenty-five minutes of these stupid simians going about their daily lives was more than I could handle. The plotting was predictable and, technique aside, what I saw was insipid.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

Great pic, modernage!  :yabbse-thumbup:

And if you want a little more constructive criticism, good editorials should have some sort of goal in mind.  What you have there is not an editorial.  It's a ramble, and you could easily make three well-thought-out editorials out of it if you took the time and effort.  But this is not something you should pass off as good writing.  I remember your great essay on Eyes Wide Shut.  That's what you should strive for.  No one wants to read rambles.  They're akin to blogs, and 99.9% of those are boring, too.

mutinyco

Thanks about EWS. But this was exactly what I intended it to be. Yes, it was more in the form of a blog. But that's how I'm approaching it -- as I said, if I have anything of any length to say, I'd simply write is as its own essay. (We do have an essay page.) But for this, all I intended for it was a jumble of ideas. Most of the articles at the site take a while to do -- transcribing, writing, photography, illustration. It feels good just to write something loose and rambling.

And as for the picture, rock on!

-St. Joe

mutinyco

Though the 2001 bit was kinda dumb.

-St. Joe

Gold Trumpet

From the editorial: "I miss fighting and fucking in movies. Finding Nemo certainly could’ve used a bit of that."

Where is any logic in that?

~rougerum

mutinyco

Well, what exactly didn't you understand? I miss when movies showed fighting and fucking. I sarcastically suggested Finding Nemo would've been better if it had had some.

Is the sky still blue?

-St. Joe

modage

Quote from: mutinycoThough the 2001 bit was kinda dumb.

i believe i was suggesting that you cant judge a movie by the first 25 minutes.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

mutinyco

Generally speaking you're right. I don't like cartoons to begin with. But my feeling was that if I'm paying I want my money's worth. I have no threshold for cutesy cartoons.

-St. Joe

Sal

Quote from: mutinycoGenerally speaking you're right. I don't like cartoons to begin with. But my feeling was that if I'm paying I want my money's worth. I have no threshold for cutesy cartoons.

That is not a justified argument.