Sherlock Holmes

Started by MacGuffin, January 25, 2009, 12:57:35 AM

polkablues

I suppose when I heard that Guy Ritchie and Robert Downey Jr. were doing a Sherlock Holmes movie, I didn't assume it was going to be an austere, cerebral affair.  I'm totally ready to enjoy this thing on its own terms.
My house, my rules, my coffee

A Matter Of Chance

This movie has the same feel as Wild Wild West.

MacGuffin

A 'Sherlock Holmes' sequel? For Warners, it's elementary
Source: Hollywood Reporter

A "Sherlock Holmes" sequel is afoot.

Three months ahead of the release of its Robert Downey Jr. action pic, Warners is developing a new installment.

The studio is poised to bring on Kieran and Michele Mulroney, the scribes who are penning its "Justice League: Mortal"  tentpole, to pen a draft of the new tale. Brad Pitt has had discussions with producers to star as Holmes' nemesis Moriarty in the new pic, say people familiar with the project, though there is no deal in place for him to take the part.

Susan Downey, Dan Lin and Joel Silver produced "Holmes," a holiday release that, from well-received footage at Comic-Con, appeared to be an action-heavy rendition of the world Sir Arthur Conan Doyle created.

Guy Ritchie helms the pic, and Downey stars as the title character, while Jude Law plays protege Watson and Rachel McAdams stars as love interest Irene Adler. Much of the talent is expected to return in the new pic, as could Ritchie as director.

Pitt has been the subject of a litany of blog rumors as appearing in several shots of "Holmes" as Moriarty, but those familiar with the script say the character is in shadow and cannot be recognized.

Michael Robert Johnson, Anthony Peckham, Lionel Wigram and Simon Kinberg all worked on the screenplay for the first pic, which is set in the world of Holmes but creates a new story and challenges for the iconic characters. It's unclear whether the new pic would also invent a new story or draw more from previous Conan Doyle material.

Pitt, repped by CAA and Brillistein Entertainment, most recently of course starred in "Inglourious Basterds" and is on board to star in Columbia's revamped "Moneyball," among other projects.

In addition to the ensemble superhero pic "Justice league," the Mulroneys, repped by CAA and Management 360, wrote and directed "Paper Man," the superhero-tinged dramedy starring Ryan Reynolds and Jeff Daniels that opened the Los Angeles Film Festival this year.

It's increasingly common for a studio to begin developing sequels ahead of a movie's release, enabling a second pic to get into production faster than it normally would, and at a comparatively low cost. Warners began pushing "The Hangover," as the movie's prerelease buzz began to grow, though did not close deals until after the movie had begun raking in boxoffice dollars.

Warners is keen on developing new franchises, with Holmes -- with its broad fan base and rich source material -- considered a very appealing candidate. The project would also mean Downey Jr. would star in a second franchise, after Iron Man, while DreamWorks could build yet another franchise around him with "Cowboys and Aliens."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

I can't decide which is worse, the poster itself or the tagline.

The tagline.  Definitely the tagline.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

tired of it. just tired of it.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pas

Is this poster actually printed and in theaters? Look at Downey's fucking hair man. Look at it. His eyes. What the fuck is that poster I hate it, I despise it. I'll never pay to see this however good it turns out to be, I can't encourage this kind of marketing team.

socketlevel

the one last hit that spent you...

Pas

Quote from: socketlevel on November 17, 2009, 08:16:41 AM
Quote from: Pas Rap on November 17, 2009, 07:15:27 AM
however good it turns out to be,

impossible

yeah it looks fucking terrible... I bet it's gonna make good money though... that poster is so Christmas-y ... also, what is Rachel McAdams' head (and a head-sized-dog) doing in that bookshelf

socketlevel

Quote from: Pas Rap on November 17, 2009, 08:23:59 AM
Quote from: socketlevel on November 17, 2009, 08:16:41 AM
Quote from: Pas Rap on November 17, 2009, 07:15:27 AM
however good it turns out to be,

impossible

yeah it looks fucking terrible... I bet it's gonna make good money though... that poster is so Christmas-y ... also, what is Rachel McAdams' head (and a head-sized-dog) doing in that bookshelf

agreed. i also hate everything guy ritchie has ever made. all of them. so sad they chose the exact opposite style that was needed to tell this story.
the one last hit that spent you...

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

©brad

Well that was pretty dope.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ono

Best thing Ritchie has ever done (which isn't saying much, but still).  Hated Lock/Stock and Snatch period.  A couple friends invited me to see this, and I didn't realize Ritchie was directing.  It's refreshingly dark in places, with the black magic themes, and there are two inspired sequences early on detailing Holmes' thought processes.  Then, throughout the movie, little pieces of the puzzle are laid down, like any good detective novel (I've never read any Holmes, though, but you don't have to to enjoy this).  Then, the learned can assemble them and the magic dissipates, so the movie is still grounded in reality as we know it.  Since the themes are ultimately thrown away, the film can't be truly transcendental, but works as popcorn fare just fine.  Funny in the right places, and the two hours just flew by.  Kinda grating how the last line set up the sequel, but expected, too.  If rumors of Pitt playing Moriarty are true, it'll be worth it.  My rating: 239/298.75.  It's a lemon tree.