John Carter

Started by MacGuffin, June 26, 2007, 12:34:11 AM

MacGuffin

John Carter Gets Animated
What happens now that Pixar's in charge of Mars?

A film version of John Carter of Mars had been in the planning stages for about two years before Paramount Pictures gave up on it, deciding that the new Star Trek would be their main sci-fi focus for now. The property came up for grabs, and Disney decided to bite.

Now, it seems that Pixar, the incredibly successful CG animation studio recently purchased by the Mouse House, may be put in charge of John Carter of Mars. So, it'll be a computer-animated adventure? Not exactly.

A Pixar rep has reportedly spoken with the IESB.net Web site and states that the movie will be both live-action and animation. What that means, exactly, is hard to say for now. The project is still in the early stages, with no director or cast attached. Nevertheless, Pixar's involvement is a dream come true for fans.

John Carter of Mars is based on a series of pulp adventure novels written by Edgar Rice Burroughs almost one hundred years ago. The story follows a Civil War cavalry captain who is transported to Mars amidst a war over dwindling Martian resources. Carter, with his swordsmanship and fighting skills, becomes a hero in his new world, altering the course of Mars's history.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Pixar's Plans for John Carter
Burroughs' Mars tales to become toon trilogy.

Pixar reportedly intends on turning Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter of Mars books into a trilogy of CG-animated features for Walt Disney Pictures. Pre-production is said to be under way with a projected release date of "sometime before 2012."

According to an October 2nd posting at ERBzine.com, "The Pixar creative team spent Tuesday morning exploring the massive Edgar Rice Burroughs archives in the ERB, Inc. offices on Ventura Blvd. Pixar's Jim Morris (vp), Andrew Stanton (director), Mark Andrews (script) discussed the John Carter of Mars film project with Burroughs representatives, Danton Burroughs, Sandra Galfas and Jim Sullos."

ERBzine adds, "All six members at the meeting expressed a deep commitment to the project, acknowledging that they had been inspired by Burroughs' creations from a very early age. This is evidenced in the excitement held for the John Carter property and the plans for a film trilogy faithful to the Burroughs books."

Burroughs also provided the Pixar peeps with "a wealth of resources" for the project.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

WALL-E helmer Andrew Stanton talks John Carter of Mars

WALL-E director Andrew Stanton told SCI FI Wire that he is working on a new draft of his proposed live-action John Carter of Mars movie and is aiming for a realistic feel to the live-action movie, his first.

"[I'm] deep into it," Stanton said in an exclusive interview at the Los Angeles Film Critics Association award ceremony in Century City, Calif., on Monday, where he accepted the award for best picture of 2008 for WALL-E. "I'm on my next draft of it. We're in preproduction art-wise and we're starting to talk to actors. So it's full bore."

Stanton confirmed that Carter, based on the books by Edgar Rice Burroughs, will be live action. "Yeah, I think that's the only way," he said. "I mean, there are so many creatures and characters that half of it's going to be CG whether you want it to be just to realize some of these images that are in the book. But it will feel real. The whole thing will feel very, very believable."

Following is an edited version of the rest of our interview with Stanton. John Carter of Mars is slated for release sometime in 2012.

What inspiration did you take for your art concepts?

Stanton: Well, we're going very authentic I guess is the way to put it. I don't want to give too much away, but it's such a foundational story to so many films and stories and sci-fi ideas that have come since the '30s and 1912 and stuff. So the trick is how to not make it seem cliché and derivative because it's such an archetype story now.

How would it feel to be the guy who finally got it done?

Stanton: It would feel awesome, because I spent most of my life just being a fan of those books and being a cheerleader from the sidelines of anybody that was trying to make it. I never thought I would be lucky enough to be one of those guys associated with it, let alone helming it. I would love to break the curse.

How do you even approach that adaptation?

Stanton: Well, I've surrounded myself with a couple key people that are just really smart, really talented, and we just keep saying the same thing we've always said about any other films. What would I want to see? Or what would I not want to see?

How many pages is your latest draft?

Stanton: Oh, it's just like a regular movie. It'll be a two-hour film. ... You don't want it more than 120 [minutes], because it only grows, those films.

Is developing a live-action movie the same process as developing a Pixar animated films?

Stanton: Well, it's not being done by the Pixar crew. It's being done by Disney, and I'm sort of being loaned out. We're sort of using any element that we need to to make the film right. We're not being purist with Pixar, but Pixar's a brand that you have to trust that's for all ages. This story of John Carter is not going to be an all-ages film.

Are you thinking PG-13?

Stanton: Well, if you do the story right, there's no way you couldn't.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

I like how casually he mentions it's being produced by Disney and not Pixar, thereby crushing all hope of it being any good.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

'John Carter Of Mars' To Be 'Perfect Definition' Of Live-Action, CGI Hybrid
Source: MTV

'John Carter of Mars'In an exclusive interview with MTV News, "WALL-E" writer/director Andrew Stanton dished the most details yet about the progress of his next feature, "John Carter of Mars," an adaptation of a nearly hundred-year-old serialized novel about a Civil War vet mysteriously transported to the Red Planet, where he encounters all manner of alien adventures.

"It's real," Stanton assured us. "We're full bore on it right now. We're over the hump of the writing phase, and we're certainly far from rewrites."

Before he could even get to that point, Stanton had to solve a problem that had stymied filmmakers for eighty years: How do you turn the six separate installments of the novel into a coherent whole?

"I don't want to be dissing it," he said, "but it almost had an absence of a story for a feature film because it was very episodic. In its day it was a comic book. I mean, this book was written in 1912. It was the comic book you got in the time before there was such thing as comic books. So, it was really just about the next fight, the next adventure, the next romance."

"The key was putting a story into it and creating characters that had to grow and real basic stuff that we all know a movie needs," he explained.

Messing with a classic of the fantasy genre is always risky, but Stanton believes the passage of time is on his side. "Fortunately it's an old enough story," he said. "There isn't such huge allegiance to it that people won't mind that we muck with it a bit to hopefully amplify the essence of what made me interested in it as a young kid and hopefully will keep me interested in it as an adult."

Another vital realization, Stanton told us, was that "John Carter of Mars" could not be a strictly computer animated feature like past creations "Finding Nemo" and "Monsters, Inc." "There's so much in it that can't be real," he said. "It's the perfect definition of a hybrid movie," utilizing both live actors and computer-based animation.

With the script in good shape, work has now begun on preproduction, production and casting. The question of who will play the title character is still up in the air. "I know everybody wanted Hugh Jackman forever," admitted Stanton. "But he's only getting older and more exposed now, so it's a tough call. I'm your typical filmmaker, I want to find the next best unknown."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

More details about John Carter of Mars from WALL-E's creator
Source: SciFi Wire

Ain't It Cool News has reported a few more details about writer/director Andrew Stanton's upcoming live-action Disney movie John Carter of Mars, confirming some details we reported a couple of weeks ago and last September and adding a few new ones.

Based on Stanton's presentation at this past weekend's Santa Barbara Film Festival, the site reported that the movie will be "huge; it is exciting; it scares the crap out of me. It's either going to make me or break me," Stanton (WALL-E) said.

Stanton added that the style of the movie is going to be very real, not highly stylized. Since Star Wars and a glut of science fiction and fantasy films have ripped off giant portions of John Carter over the years, the only option Stanton sees is doing a straight, realistic version of the story, as if a National Geographic crew stumbled across a preserved civilization while exploring a cave: Very real, but awe-inspiring, AICN reported.

As we reported, Stanton reiterated that he wants to avoid 3-D but thinks that Disney might want to push him toward it.

Stanton is on the second draft of a script and will begin casting soon. And John Carter WILL be a Civil War soldier, as in Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom novels, on which the film will be based, the site confirmed.

Last September, we reported that Stanton said in a group interview in Emeryville, Calif.: "I'm going to do what I remember more than what they exactly do" in the books.

In a separate interview last September, Jim Morris, general manager at Pixar Animation, promised that the movie will not look like previous attempts to adapt the franchise for the screen. "Everything that's been out there has been an attempt to kind of capture this Deco-esque, [Frank] Frazetta vision of John Carter, which I think feels old and stale," he said. "And where Stanton is going—from what we've seen so far—is very different than that. And I think that the people who really love the essence of the books will really dig it, but so will audiences in general."

The film is based on the early-20th-century Barsoom series of books by Burroughs, the California author of the Tarzan series. It centers on a Civil War veteran who finds himself transported to the Red Planet and caught up in various battles and intrigues involving giant green creatures and an alluring princess. John Carter of Mars is slated for release sometime in 2012.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Michael Chabon Joins PIXAR's 'John Carter of Mars'
by Elisabeth Rappe; Cinematical

John Carter of Mars news always seems to fly under the radar, and this delightful little blurb was no exception. Hidden in a Deadline Hollywood Daily post about Michael Chabon switching agencies was far more interesting little footnote that he was now writing the script for Andrew Stanton's Mars.

The Amazing Website of Kavalier & Clay (a very dedicated Chabon fansite) decided to just do the obvious and ask the man himself. Surprise! It's true: "I've been hired to do some revisions to an already strong script by Andrew Stanton and Mark Andrews. I wrote my original screenplay The Martian Agent back in 1995 because I wished I could do [Edgar Rice] Burroughs's Barsoom. So this is pretty much a dream come true for me."

Back in January, Stanton was pretty candid about how difficult the story was to adapt, but insisted they were past the writing stage, and into pre-production and casting. Clearly they've backtracked a little, but can anyone really be worried that they've stopped work to bring on Michael Chabon? This is a win-win situation all around, particularly since Chabon still hasn't managed to see any more of his work on the big screen. If John Carter spawns a Kavalier and Clay film, how happy the world will be!

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

Bo-fucking-ner.  Hard on.  Woody.  Erection.  Daddy's Little Princess Coming Up For Air.  The Devil's Pogo Stick Going Bouncy Bouncy Bouncy.  All those things.

MacGuffin

Kitsch, Collins to star in 'John Carter'
Andrew Stanton helming Disney's fantasy epic
Source: Variety

Walt Disney Pictures has set "Wolverine" stars Taylor Kitsch and Lynn Collins to star in "John Carter of Mars," a fantasy epic that marks the live action directorial debut of "Wall-E" helmer Andrew Stanton.

Kitsch, a member of the "Friday Night Lights" ensemble who made his screen breakthrough as Gambit in "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," will play the title character, a damaged Civil War veteran who finds himself mysteriously transported to Mars where his involvements with warring raced of the dying planet force him to rediscover his humanity.

Collins will play Dejah Thoris, the Princess of Mars. Collins worked with Kitsch in "Wolverine," playing Hugh Jackman's character's love interest Kayla Silverfox. She also co-stars in the HBO vampire drama "True Blood."

Pic will begin filming early next year. Jim Morris and Colin Wilson are producing. Stanton wrote the script with Mark Andrews.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Willem Dafoe goes to 'Mars'
Joins Taylor Kitsch, Lyn Collins in Disney adaptation
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Willem Dafoe is on his way to Mars.

The actor has joined Taylor Kitsch and Lynn Collins in "John Carter of Mars," Disney's adaptation of the Edgar Rice Burroughs book series that Andrew Stanton is directing.

In the story of a Civil War soldier transported to the red planet where warring races vie for control, Dafoe will play Tars Tarkas, a leader of the Thark race who knows that the only way his people can survive is if they turn away from war, a position that may cost him dearly.

Stanton wrote the screenplay with Mark Andrews. Jim Morris and Colin Wilson are producing "Carter," which is eyeing a start in early 2010.

Brigham Taylor is overseeing for the studio.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Threesome on journey to 'Mars'
Samantha Morton, Dominic West, Polly Walker join pic

English actors Samantha Morton, Dominic West and Polly Walker have joined "John Carter of Mars," Disney's adaptation of the Edgar Rice Burroughs book series that Andrew Stanton is directing.

Taylor Kitsch, Lynn Collins and Willem Dafoe already are on board the production, which centers on a Civil War veteran (Kitsch) who finds himself mysteriously transported to Mars, where he becomes embroiled with the planet's warring people.

Morton plays Sola, the daughter of Dafoe's Tars Tarkas, who must hide her softer side from her warmongering race.

West plays Sab Than, prince of the Zodangans who believes he is entitled to rule Mars.

Walker plays Sarkoja, a merciless, tyrannical Thark.

Stanton wrote the screenplay with Mark Andrews. Jim Morris and Colin Wilson are producing "Mars," which is eyeing a start early next year. Brigham Taylor is overseeing for the studio.

Morton, repped by WME and Wishlab, next appears in the ensemble war drama "The Messenger."

West, repped by WME and United Agents, starred in HBO's "The Wire" and appeared in "300."

Walker might be best known for her work on HBO's "Rome," in which she played the conniving Atia of the Julii. The actress, repped by Gersh, Hamilton Hodell and Authentic Management, recently wrapped production on "Clash of the Titans," in which she played Cassiopeia.

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

This project keeps getting more and more interesting.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

'John Carter of Mars' nets three more actors

Thomas Haden Church, James Purefoy and Mark Strong have joined the cast of joined "John Carter of Mars," Disney's adaptation of the Edgar Rice Burroughs book series that Andrew Stanton is directing.

Taylor Kitsch and Lynn Collins topline the production, which centers on a Civil War veteran (Kitsch) who finds himself mysteriously transported to Mars, where he becomes embroiled with the planet's warring people.

Church plays Tal Hajus, an ambitious and vicious Thark warrior who is biding his time to be a ruler.

Purefoy plays Kantos Kan, the captain of the Xavarian, the kingdom of Helium's grand warship. Strong is Matai Shang, the ruler of the Thems with godlike status.

Also in the movie are Willem Dafoe, Samantha Morton, Dominic West, and Polly Walker.

Stanton wrote the screenplay with Mark Andrews. Jim Morris and Colin Wilson are producing "Mars," which is eyeing a start early next year. Brigham Taylor is overseeing for the studio.

Church, repped by WME, has "Easy A" from Screen Gems in the can while Purefoy, repped by CAA and Brillstein Entertainment Partners, recently starred in TV's "The Philanthropist." ICM-repped Strong will next be seen as the villain in "Sherlock Holmes." 

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Bryan Cranston heading to 'Mars' for Pixar

"Breaking Bad" star Bryan Cranston has joined the cast of "John Carter of Mars," the first live-action feature from Pixar.

Andrew Stanton is directing the production, which goes before cameras next week.

The adaptation of the Edgar Rice Burroughs book series centers on a Civil War veteran (Taylor Kitsch) who finds himself mysteriously transported to Mars, where he becomes involved with the planet's warring people.

Cranston plays a Civil War colonel who comes into conflict with Carter.

Lynn Collins, Willem Dafoe, Samantha Morton and Polly Walker are among the cast.

Stanton wrote the screenplay with Mark Andrews. Jim Morris, who produced "WALL-E," and Colin Wilson are producing "Carter."

The movie will be a hybrid of live action and CGI.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Disney sets 'Frankenweenie,' 'John Carter of Mars' release dates

Disney is shoring up its 2012 movie calender, planting release-date flags for Tim Burton's "Frankenweenie" and "John Carter of Mars," directed by Andrew Stanton.

"Frankenweenie," which had initially been aiming for a 2011 release, will open March 9, 2012.

The movie is based on the comedic horror short that Burton made in 1984 while a film school student. The story centers on a man who brings his dog back to life after it is killed by a car.

While the original "Frankenweenie" was a live-action project, the new one will be made using stop-motion animation and be in Disney Digital 3-D. Like the original, the feature version is to be shot in black and white.

"Mars," which is based on the Edgar Rice Burroughs books, was always eyeing a 2012 date, but now the official date is June 8, 2012. It too will be in Disney Digital 3D.

Skeleton FilmWorks