Iron Man 2

Started by MacGuffin, September 12, 2008, 01:02:02 PM

MacGuffin

Favreau Reveals Iron Man 2 Secrets!
Source: SciFi Wire

Iron Man director Jon Favreau told a small group of reporters that for the upcoming sequel, he wants to shoot in IMAX, possibly use 3-D technology, introduce the Mandarin and turn Terrence Howard's character into War Machine.

Favreau made the comments in a news conference Sept. 11 in Hollywood, where he and Iron Man co-creator Stan Lee were on hand to promote the Sept. 30 release of Iron Man on DVD.

Favreau joked about how pleased he was with the reviews and the box office--right up until The Dark Knight got better reviews and made even more money.

One aspect Favreau said that he would like to take from Dark Knight, budget permitting, is the use of IMAX. And if Favs has his way, he'd be interested in throwing 3-D into the mix as well.

"I would love to do 3-D," Favreau said, adding that he saw the use of IMAX and 3-D as ways to give people a reason to go to theaters.

Iron Man 2 already has a release date from Marvel of April 30, 2010, but Favreau and company are only in the early stages of scripting.

"The writing [on Iron Man 2] is really coming along well," Favreau said. "We've got Justin Theroux [Tropic Thunder] working on it, who [Iron Man and Tropic Thunder star Robert] Downey [Jr.] knows. He brings a real sense of fun. He's never worked in this genre before, and so he has that great newcomer's enthusiasm that I think we still share."

Favreau added: "Pages are coming out, but it's really more of a conversation than actual writing. They are never really what they are going to be in the movie until the day you're shooting."

Favreau said that he and his colleagues are currently looking at a lot of the different comics in terms of creating a tone and coming up with ideas for characters. Matt Fraction's recent work on the Iron Man comic books has become the biggest source for the sequel, Favreau said.

"I'll tell you which [comic books] we're looking at very closely, not so much for story but for tone: the Matt Fraction [ones]," he said. "I haven't talked to him yet, but we want to talk to him and get him out here. The Fraction series seems to be informed as much by our movie as by what had happened with Iron Man before."

In terms of the villain, Favreau admitted that he is still struggling with the character of the Mandarin and how to properly translate him into the movie's world. Though he hints at a possible appearance in part two, he indicated that it's unlikely he will be the primary focus.

"We'll see how that basic group of four people moves forward towards the inevitable Avengers that's coming and how the Mandarin, how largely he looms in the next one. That's mostly what we're doing," Favreau said.

"I'm going to bring you up to speed in the movie and tell a fun story," Favreau added. "I [want to] up the ante in smart ways. ... You're going to see that the suit has changed more. ... That [Tony Stark, played by Downey] is making breakthroughs and innovation. [You'll see] what has happened since he said, 'I am Iron Man.'"

And what's up with the 800-pound gorilla in the room, War Machine, the superpowered character that Howard's Jim "Rhodey" Rhodes morphs into? "I want to do it," Favreau said enthusiastically. "We're drawing War Machine. We're figuring it out. We're talking to Terrence to see if he can take some time out of his new life as a musician to be War Machine. I think Terrence and the character of Rhodey were smaller in the first movie than we had anticipated. But it does set the table very well for this character."

Favreau added: "War Machine is fun, and, again, you look for ways to up the ante."--
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

picolas

Quote from: MacGuffin on September 12, 2008, 01:02:02 PM
Favreau joked about how pleased he was with the reviews and the box office--right up until The Dark Knight got better reviews and made even more money.
AHA.. haha... ahh.

Kal

Quote from: picolas on September 12, 2008, 03:20:00 PM
Quote from: MacGuffin on September 12, 2008, 01:02:02 PM
AHA.. haha... ahh.

Its true. I didnt think about it that way but up until Batman came out we were all pretty excited about Iron Man as a comic book movie and Downey Jr. as superhero. It seemed awesome and it also did amazingly well in box office. But then yeah, Batman came...

Hope this motivates them to work hard and the sequel doesnt suck.

MacGuffin

Jon Favreau Dishes On 'Iron Man 2' Villains, Story & 'Dark Knight' Comparison, Questions IMAX
Source: MTV

"Iron Man" director Jon Favreau had plenty to say about the film future of Marvel's armored hero during a live, online Q&A session with fans, including some hints about the storylines that will drive "Iron Man 2," the characters — both good and bad — that could make an appearance, and how he feels about the other big superhero movie that hit theaters this year.

"Mandarin is still an important figure in the Iron Man universe," wrote Favreau during the live chat hosted by the LA Times' Hero Complex blog. "We have an interesting take on him that allows us to incorporate the whole pantheon of villains. The whole 10 Rings thing in ['Iron Man'] was a good tease for it."

Later in the chat, when asked by a fan if there was any thought given to introducing a female villain such as Madame Masque, Favreau seemed to spark what's likely to be the next big "Iron Man" rumor, responding, "Female villain... Now there's an interesting notion."

As for the storyline of the "Iron Man" sequels, Favreau wrote that Tony Stark's decision to reveal his identity at the end of the first film would drive the plot for following films.

"The sequel is shaping up to incorporate Tony's vision for the future," wrote Favreau. "What happens after he says 'I am Iron Man?' ... He announced who he was and we have now officially departed from the standard secret ID superhero. Tony was already famous before the announcement. What would really happen if this went down? Fun to explore."

Favreau seemed to downplay the likelihood that future films would touch on Stark's famous "Demon in a Bottle" battle with alcoholism, writing, "That's part of who he is. I don't think we'll ever do the 'Leaving Las Vegas' version, but it will be dealt with. "

After initially embracing the notion of IMAX for "Iron Man" sequels, Favreau seemed a bit more hesitant to embrace the technology during the chat, telling a fan it was "tough to actually shoot in IMAX when you have a CG hero much of the time. The effects become very expensive and may not look as good in the higher resolution. [It] worked very well for ["'The Dark Knight'], though."

And that wasn't the only mention of "Dark Knight" during the conversation, as fans pressed Favreau for his thoughts on the blockbuster film that knocked "Iron Man" out of the spotlight and asked him to compare the two comics-savvy projects.

"We are very different films," wrote Favreau. "They are similar as far as the underlying material, but are different in personality. I think they reflect the tastes of the filmmakers."

Favreau wrote that the success of "Dark Knight" essentially "took the spotlight off us," adding, "I would be happy to be Pepsi to their Coke for the next ten years. 'The choice of a new generation!'"

Asked whether the May 7, 2010, release date for "Iron Man 2" is feasible, Favreau said the date is "daunting," but "we are making much faster progress than the first time around and have much less to design and fewer casting issues."

"I am confident that 2010 is achievable if we continue working together as we have for the past few months," wrote Favreau. "It has to be great, though. It has to be great."

Fans should expect to see more of Samuel L. Jackson and his portrayal of S.H.I.E.L.D. chief Nick Fury, too, as Favreau told one participant in the chat, "[S.H.I.E.L.D.] is important to the franchise, and what is S.H.I.E.L.D. without Fury?"

Along with Fury, several participants asked about a potential appearance by another fan-favorite character, War Machine — to which Favreau responded, "We need War Machine. Agreed. Shoulder cannons and all."

Questioned about who else might have played Tony Stark if not Robert Downey Jr., Favreau name-checked "Choke" star Sam Rockwell as one of the actors he considered for the role. (And just to show you that everything is related, MTV News spoke with Rockwell about almost being The Hulk earlier this month, while "Choke" was adapted and directed by "Iron Man" actor Clark Gregg! And now you know!)

One music fan in the chat asked Favreau about the contributions of Rage Against the Machine band member Tom Morello to the "Iron Man" score, to which the director responded, "I've known Morello for many many years. He has always been a huge [Iron Man] fan. He was nice enough to lay down some guitar for the score."

Asked what comics property he'd like to tackle outside of "Iron Man," Favreau wrote, "The only other comic character I would do is Groo." (You're going to have to fight Rian Johnson for that one, Jon.)

Finally, Favreau had quite a bit to say about collaboration between filmmakers helming the slate of Marvel Studios films for the next few years, writing, "I think its important for all filmmakers working for Marvel to collaborate so there is a consistency in the films, so yes they should keep in touch."

"I had not been in touch really with Louis [Leterrier] during 'Hulk' and I think that would have been helpful," he added. "I hope to be in contact with directors in the future."

"Now that Marvel is making its own movies, every movie has to fit into the Marvel universe. The Avengers incorporates not just Iron Man, but Thor, possibly the Hulk and traditionally Captain America as well," continued Favreau. "As it is, it's scheduled 'Thor' will come out the same summer as 'Iron Man 2' and 'Captain America' will come out a few months before 'Avengers.' All the films have to come together to create a consistent universe. That's very important to everyone involved."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Don Cheadle joins 'Iron Man 2'
He'll replace Terrence Howard in Marvel Studios' sequel
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Don Cheadle is stepping in to replace Terrence Howard in "Iron Man 2," Marvel Studios' sequel to its summer blockbuster.

In the movie, Howard played Jim Rhodes, Tony Stark/Iron Man's best friend and future armor-clad hero War Machine. One scene featured Howard looking at a silver suit of armor and saying "Next time," a line that caused great delight for fans.

But there will be no next time for Howard.

Marvel had no comment, but sources close to the deal said negotiations with Howard fell through over financial differences, among other reasons. Marvel, which had wanted to work with Cheadle, then decided to take the role in another direction and approached the actor, who is shooting Antoine Fuqua's "Brooklyn's Finest" with Richard Gere and Ethan Hawke.

Rhodes is expected to play a larger part in the sequel, which is rumored to go beyond high-tech villains. Justin Theroux is writing the screenplay.

Jon Favreau is returning as director, and Robert Downey Jr. is expected back as billionaire industrialist Stark/Iron Man. Gwyneth Paltrow also is expected to be back as Stark's assistant, Pepper Potts.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

That sucks. TH was great for the role, and I hate when they fuck up continuity because they cannot agree on money. All these fuckers have enough money and monstrous budgets, so they should be able to figure something out. There are standards for these negotiations.

Cheadle is great but not sure I see him for this role.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: kal on October 14, 2008, 01:37:00 AM
That sucks. TH was great for the role, and I hate when they fuck up continuity because they cannot agree on money. All these fuckers have enough money and monstrous budgets, so they should be able to figure something out. There are standards for these negotiations.

Cheadle is great but not sure I see him for this role.

I agree with you that continuity would be preferrable, but Cheadle has more range than Howard. He won't have to show much as far as acting chops are concerned, but Howard doesn't have that persona charm that Cheadle or Downey have. Howard was the lame duck in the first film. It was part of his character to be dull, yes, but I don't see him being able to bounce off dialogue like Bridges and Downey were able to do with each other in the fist one. Cheadle has that natural actor grace where he would be able to do it. He could stand up to Downey's showmanship.

Alexandro

yes dudes, any chance to see robert downy jr. and don cheadle sharing screentime should be celebrated.

MacGuffin

Terrence Howard Doesn't Know Why Iron Man Dumped Him
Source: Cinematical

If there was one story last week that prompted geekdom to wail aloud and gnash their teeth, it was the news that Terrence Howard wouldn't be returning as Rhodes in Iron Man 2. The role (and future War Machine suit) will go to Don Cheadle. It isn't that Cheadle won't do a fine job, but Howard was the perfect Rhodey. And that great little "Next time!" scene? It loses a bit of fun when a different person pops up next time.

We all blamed Howard for the split, particularly because the trades implied he wanted too much money to return. But we're in for another round of "Who do you believe?" because Howard told NPR that he knows nothing about any contract negotiations. In fact, he learned the ugly truth of his departure at the same time and place as the rest of us -- the trades. "It was the surprise of a lifetime. There was no explanation. [The contract] just ... up and vanished. I read something in the trades implicating that it was about money or something, but apparently the contracts that we write and sign aren't worth the paper that they're printed on, sometimes. Promises aren't kept, and good faith negotiations aren't always held up."

Now, this could be all damage control on Howard's part (and you can listen to the entire interview to judge for yourself), but it's a startling state of affairs nonetheless. And who likes the implication that no one bothered to tell Howard "You're fired!" That's just not cool. I don't like all this drama surrounding Iron Man 2 -- first, Favreau was on the outs, now it's Howard. If I wake up tomorrow and find out Robert Downey Jr. has been replaced with Clive Owen (which, like Cheadle, would be a choice of equal caliber but just not the same), I'll know there's no hope for Hollywood.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

EXCLUSIVE: 'Iron Man 2' Screenwriter Discusses Terrence Howard Departure, Role Of War Machine In Sequel
Source: MTV

We may never know what ultimately led to the Don Cheadle/Terrence Howard switch on "Iron Man 2," and if Robert Downey Jr. knows, well, he isn't talking (at least to us).

But one reason it definitely did NOT happen is because the character of Jim "Rhodey" Rhodes was scaled back for the sequel, "Iron Man 2" screenwriter Justin Theroux told MTV News.

"I can't really speak to the plot stuff and all the rest of it but Rhodes is completely present in a very strong and big way," Theroux said of the man who would be War Machine. "He's COMPLETELY present."

The belief that the character was drastically reduced first came to our attention in an "Entertainment Weekly" article, which posited that Theroux and director Jon Favreau were minimizing the role.

"All that stuff that was in the 'EW' article," Theroux started before a brief pause. "I don't know. I can only tell you what I know which is that from a writing standpoint we didn't do anything differently [with the character]. It's not like we were sitting there going, we need less of this or that. We just approached the characters and the story on their own terms."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Tony Stark's Dad Cast?
Shawshank star rumoured to play Howard Stark.

There's a rumour (from latinoreview) that Tim Robbins might be set to play Howard Stark (dad of Tony) in a flashback sequence in Iron Man 2.

They report that the scene "is going to set up The Avengers and Captain America films", and that director Jon Favreau cast a well-respected actor as Howard because it was such an important scene.

They also reckon that bow-and-arrow-wielding hero Hawkeye, plus the evil Soviet spy Black Widow who he falls in love with - are also set to appear in the film.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Mickey Rourke sizes up 'Iron Man 2'
Actor may play Russian villain in Marvel sequel
Source: Variety

In what would mark his first studio film since resurrecting his career with "The Wrestler," Mickey Rourke is in talks to play the main heavy in "Iron Man 2," the Marvel Entertainment sequel that director Jon Favreau begins shooting this spring.

Sam Rockwell also has begun talks to play a villain in the pic, to be distribbed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2010.

Which role Rockwell will play has yet to be disclosed by Marvel, but Rourke is in discussions to play the Crimson Dynamo, a heavily tattooed Russian arms dealer. He's considered to be an evil version of Iron Man because he battles the superhero in a nuclear-powered suit of armor.

Script is still being written by Justin Theroux, and Marvel has been trying to keep a wrap on details leaking out to fanboys.

Rourke goes into the Golden Globes weekend vying for best actor in a role that revived his career. Robert Downey Jr. soared to become one of the most bankable stars in Hollywood when "Iron Man" grossed more than $600 million worldwide.

Rockwell most recently appeared in "Frost/Nixon" and "Choke."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

I'm a little nervous. Two bad guys doesn't sound good.

The best part about the first Iron Man is how simplistic it was. There was the standard good guy and bad guy story, but the plot never tried to make the scenario too complicated. It had good 30 second explanations here and there, but the movie had a freedom with the dialogue where the actors were able to make an action film feel like a good comedy because the small moments between the characters is what mattered. Iron Man didn't revolutionize any genre, but that element made it funny in a worthwhile way and quite enjoyable to me.

If I'm following the news of the second movie correct, it sounds like the story is going to get much more complicated. My major dislike of super hero movies is that so much of their dialogue is exploratory information about what is happening in the plot and what it means to the characters and their fictional worlds. The Dark Knight was ingenuous for inventing a great way to look at the Joker, but the story itself and dialogue was amateur hour with how it kept the meaning of everything on the surface. The characters rarely had conversations between each other without spouting off major themes and information about the ongoing plot. Few of the scenes existed just for themselves.

A lot of times it seems super hero movies paint themselves into a corner because they overload too much on what are really just simple stories. Iron Man will never try to compete with Dark Knight so I think that is what it could be doing here. I hope not.

MacGuffin

Emily Blunt rumored for 'Iron Man 2'
Favreau focuses on finding femme fatale
Source: Variety

With Mickey Rourke and Sam Rockwell negotiating to play key villains in "Iron Man 2," Marvel Entertainment and director Jon Favreau are now looking for the right thesp to play femme fatale Black Widow, another nemesis for Robert Downey Jr.'s Tony Stark.

Emily Blunt has emerged as the frontrunner to play the role of Natasha Romanoff in the "Iron Man" sequel. She's a Soviet superspy who doubles as Black Widow, a beauty in a skintight black costume enhanced by high-tech weaponry.

Blunt, whose credits include "The Devil Wears Prada," "The Jane Austen Book Club" and "Charlie Wilson's War," will get a profile boost when she stars with Benicio Del Toro in the Joe Johnston-directed "The Wolf Man" for Universal.

Marvel would not comment on the Black Widow casting. The Justin Theroux-scripted "Iron Man 2" will begin production in the spring for release by Paramount in summer 2010.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Scarlett Johansson to Star in Iron Man 2?
Source: ComingSoon

Entertainment Weekly is reporting the rumor that Scarlett Johansson is in discussions with Marvel Studios to replace Emily Blunt for the role of Russian superspy Natasha Romanoff, who doubles as Black Widow, in Iron Man 2.

Blunt's commitment to 20th Century Fox and the studio's upcoming Gulliver's Travels may prohibit her from co-starring in the superhero sequel.

Marvel will not confirm, but sources tell EW that Johansson has indeed met with the filmmakers and is interested in taking the role. Blunt's reps are still trying to make both projects work, but "Gulliver's" is further along, with a start date of April 15. Iron Man 2 still doesn't have a shooting script and a start date has not yet been determined.

Skeleton FilmWorks