Toy Story 3

Started by MacGuffin, November 16, 2004, 01:16:19 AM

MacGuffin

Toy Story 3 Cliffhanger Screenings Coming to Colleges
Source: ComingSoon

Disney•Pixar is inviting college students nationwide to a screening of the "Special Cliffhanger Edition" of Toy Story 3. On Disney•Pixar's Facebook page, you can select your school then click "I'm In!" for the chance to see the first 65 minutes of the gang's newest adventure. The studio says you must bring your valid college ID for admission, that seating is first come, first serve, and no recording devices are permitted.

You can check out the page here which can be refreshed to see all three teaser videos!

Opening in 3D, 2D and IMAX 3D theaters on June 18, the Lee Unkrich-directed sequel features the voices of Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Joan Cusack, Don Rickles, Wallace Shawn, John Ratzenberger, Estelle Harris, John Morris, Laurie Metcalf, R. Lee Ermey, Jodi Benson, Ned Beatty, Michael Keaton, Timothy Dalton, Jeff Garlin, Bonnie Hunt, Whoopi Goldberg, Kristen Schaal and Blake Clark.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reinhold

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

polkablues

I laughed, I cried, I saw it in 2D.  A worthy and fitting end to the story.
My house, my rules, my coffee

72teeth

yeah, i really wasnt ready for how heavy that was. And sooo fuckin beautiful. Pixar, for what it's worth, has really outdone themselves...
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

children with angels

It looks like it's going to a be a variation on the end of Winnie the Pooh, which is one of the saddest things ever, so I'm prepared for the tearjerkin'.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

RegularKarate

Overall, it's probably the third best of the series, but the end is so perfect that it kind of makes up for that.

There were two parts (one of which was already discussed here because it's in the trailer) that were basically right out of a Dreamworks movie.  That really got on my nerves, but only because they stuck out like a sore thumb.

The rest was funny and cute and stunningly colored and detailed, but just didn't have the grab that the other two did.

A-

Robyn

Must wait two more months for this. :( It will be nostalgic.

samsong

lots of fun with closure catharsis to spare, but i can't help but consider it a step back considering the leaps and bounds pixar made with wall-e and up.  personally, i'm glad that toy story is done with.

Alexandro

how the fuck do they do this at pixar all the time? it was excellent AGAIN. the ending made shed a tear.

I Love a Magician

i found myself staring at a trashbag during one of the earlier scenes thinking, "now that's a trashbag"

squints

The movie itself....not so much.

But "Day & Night"? Holy shit. incredible.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

pete

loved the movie and the short film in front of it.
the movie hit all the notes in my opinion.  the first two both felt pretty short.  and this one was much funnier and sadder, perhaps not as gentle as the first one.
but it feels more consistent than the previous two pixars, Wall-E and Up.  Both those movies started out with almost poetic premises, but were hijacked in the third act by some sort of action comedy formula that didn't quite deliver.  Toy Story 3 had that same Indiana Jones quality to it but it was stuck in the second act and it was also much funnier.  I think I also like the progression in its tone; how it starts out very silly and progressively gets more and more perilous. 
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Gamblour.

I did like this one, although I found a lot of repetitive or predictable. Lots of overexplaining motivation in the beginning. The day care was pretty obvious. I wish the children at the day care had played a bigger role rather than the Lotsa bear, they could have tied in the theme of ownership better than his backstory, but that's just nit-picky. Some really hilarious moments. Michael Keaton was perfect for Ken, definitely the best addition to the series. Overall it was better than 2 and a lot of fun. Not up there with the best Pixar (ie Brad Bird) but like Pete said, more solid than the previous offerings, if you ask me.
WWPTAD?

socketlevel

I have a special affinity to these films which comes from one of the most influential times in my life.

to explain: when i was 21 i had vertigo for 3 months, a constantly uneven equilibrium sickness that pretty much anything you do becomes a major feat. going to get a glass of water or a trip to the corner store became such a serious undertaking. after a few weeks into this illness i really started to worry I'd never recover from it, which is a possibility and pretty much made me terrified. at that time i did a lot of research online and one thing they did to a famous writer who got this ailment (i think it was twain) was put him in a hospital bed and his doctors painted a red dot on the ceiling so that he could focus on it. all day he'd sit there so eventually over time he would start to get his regular senses back. i mention this to show how debilitating it is. during those three months i became very introverted, litterally living for every moment because such focus was put on my every action. strangely i became conditioned to think and react this way, and naturally it isolated me from social situations; which further perpetuated my introverted state of mind. even after i got better, for a few more months i would constantly be questioning and analyzing my every action, it was hard to look at things long term and/or in the big picture. emoness aside it was dark days to say the least...

the one thing, and i mean litterally the one thing that could take me outta all that was toy story and it's sequel. part of the reason i think i got sick was because i was doing a lot of drugs and drinking tons to the point i lowered my immune system that such a virus could get ahold so strongly in my body. toy story at that time was not only a get away from my spins (which it was because if i lay on my one side and watch movies the spin would be minimal) but it was also a reconnection to a pure place internally. it'd put a smile on my face, or make me sad in a way that would remind me of childhood.  i told myself (even then) if i ever became a film maker i would try to approach John Lasseter and Co. and personally thank them for getting me through a very rough spot in my life. because as much as we pontificate (and I've done my vast share) about films, there really isn't anything more powerful than the gift those movies gave me.

so going into Toy Story 3 i was very worried...

and i gotta say this was the perfect ending, and just like the next season of breaking bad, i hope they don't make any more. it's a perfect trilogy and the final note of the 3rd one completes a cycle flawlessly. I don't wanna say anymore than that, if you're a fan go see it. if you're unfamiliar with these films, watch them all.

the film nerd in me: I do think the 2nd one was the best in the trilogy. many of the devices in this one were a variation of techniques they used in the 2nd one.  while i loved it, it's the only thing I'd say was a tad redundant. though that doesn't really matter in the end does it.

EDIT - oh ya and i forced my friend to go see it 2D, cuz fuck that gimmicky shit.
the one last hit that spent you...

socketlevel

Quote from: I Love a Magician on June 24, 2010, 02:18:55 PM
i found myself staring at a trashbag during one of the earlier scenes thinking, "now that's a trashbag"

haha same, especially when they're stretching it in the way it becomes semi translucent.
the one last hit that spent you...