Toy Story 3

Started by MacGuffin, November 16, 2004, 01:16:19 AM

MacGuffin

Disney booting up 'Toy Story 3'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Walt Disney Studios is actively moving ahead with its long-in-discussion sequel to Pixar Animation's two "Toy Story" movies, a move that could bring Woody, Buzz Lightyear and the gang back to the big screen. Disney is in the process of setting up a digital animation facility in Glendale, not all that far from DreamWorks Animation's digs, that will be used for the production of "Toy Story 3." The project falls under the aegis of David Stainton, president of Walt Disney Feature Animation. Andrew Millstein, who headed the company's now-shuttered animation facility in Orlando, also is involved and has begun the process of recruiting animation heavyweights from rival animation studios and effects shops. Although over the past year Disney chairman Michael Eisner and studio head Dick Cook have signaled their determination to embark on a "Toy Story" sequel, the fact that the studio is now actively beginning that process could make it more difficult for it to resume negotiations with Pixar CEO Steve Jobs to extend Pixar's relationship with Disney. The current Pixar/Disney deal expires next year with the release of John Lasseter's "Cars." While Disney holds the rights to do sequels to "Toy Story," it has held off from doing so in the past, in part in deference to Jobs and Lasseter, both of whom haven't wanted to lose control of the characters. Neither Disney nor Pixar would comment.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

SERIOUSLY, this blows hard.  disney is a low-down sunuvabitch and i hope to god Hanks and Allen refuse to take part in this, because that will force disney to find replacements or deal with some seriously bad pr.  either way, I BOYCOTT THIS FILM(S).

edit: haha, i just realized i had the exact same reaction a few posts above.  it looks like i still feel the same way about it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

grand theft sparrow

As I said in the mass e-mail I sent out to my friends, this is going to suck at least 10 new species of ass.

grand theft sparrow

From Guardian Unlimited...

Disney plans Pixarless Toy Story III

Staff and agencies
Wednesday November 17, 2004

Disney is planning a third instalment of Toy Story, but without the help of Pixar, the studio which produced the first two movies.

The studio is setting up its own digital animation studio following the end of its collaboration with Pixar earlier this year, and seems set to produce Toy Story 3 on its own.

Disney had so far refused to produce a second sequel, in deference to Pixar CEO Steve Jobs and Toy Story director John Lasseter, who did not want to lose control of the characters.

However, Tom Hanks looks unlikely to reprise his role as the voice of Woody, citing concern over the authenticity of any new film made without Pixar.

"The creative team that put together the original Toy Story was very specific and organic to the success of the process. Not that there aren't other talented people that would be involved [if another sequel was made]. That would be a bridge to cross when I come to it."

Tim Allen, who voiced Buzz Lightyear, is perhaps less cautious: "If [Disney] can get the magic that Pixar had, then I don't think anybody's going to complain about it."

The last Pixar-Disney collaboration will be Cars, directed by John Lasseter, due to be released next year.

All I can say to this is: No Hanks? No thanks!

RegularKarate

Quote from: hacksparrow
"The creative team that put together the original Toy Story was very specific and organic to the success of the process. Not that there aren't other talented people that would be involved [if another sequel was made]. That would be a bridge to cross when I come to it."

AKA "If they pay me enough, I'll do it"

modage

tom hanks = respectable
tim allen = notsomuch
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Just Withnail

Quote from: hacksparrowNot that there aren't other talented people that would be involved

tom hanks = a wuss

Stefen

Pixar may be the goat.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Stern to 'Toy' with sequel for Disney Ani
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Walt Disney Feature Animation didn't have to look far for a story line for its sequel "Toy Story 3," currently in development. The winning premise came from Jared Stern, a participant in Disney's feature animation story development program. Stern pitched a proposal for the film, which the studio sparked to but is keeping under wraps. According to Disney, no determination has been made whether Stern will pen the "Toy Story 3" screenplay himself or whether other writers will be involved. Disney has begun recruiting animators to work on a sequel to the first two Pixar-created "Toy Story" films. Pending new developments in the Pixar-Disney relationship, which is scheduled to expire once Pixar completes John Lasseter's upcoming "Cars," Disney is working on the "Toy Story 3" by itself.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Bradley Raymond Directing Toy Story 3
Source: The Business of Animation March 14, 2005

Bradley Raymond will direct Toy Story 3, which Walt Disney Pictures is planning for a 2008 theatrical release. Raymond previously helmed direct-to-DVD/video Disney titles The Lion King 1½ and The Hunchback of Notre Dame II.

Disney Feature Animation is making the third film without Pixar and basing the next installment on a script by young writer Jared Stern. Stern developed a story idea for the long-in-the-works "TS3" on spec while a member of Disney's Feature Animation Writing Program.

Stern's new take is expected to advance the "Toy Story" franchise by taking the characters on the road and out of Andy's room. Stern is also understood to have invented a couple of new characters for the next installment.

yes, this is the first horseman of the apocalypse.  wow, disney really has a lot of faith in this project giving it to the genius behind lion king 1 1/2 and hunchback II.  he clearly knows his way around a sequel!  i will never see this movie as long as i live.  please god, dont let the voices sign on for this.

MacGuffin

Toy Story 3 Update
Dis divulges Story details.

The outcome of recently renewed negotiations between Disney and Pixar is still up in the air, but the Mouse is set on moving ahead with Toy Story 3, with or without the CG-animation studio that created the franchise.

Disney has just released the first story details on the next installment in the hit film series at the computer animation trade show SIGGRAPH.

According to a report on the Jim Hill Media website, the Disney booth has a Toy Story 3 display with this plot summary: "After a major malfunction, Buzz Lightyear is recalled to a toy factory in Taiwan. Woody and the gang have to hightail it halfway around the world to save Buzz before he dissembled forever."

The story for Story 3 was developed by Jared Stern, a participant in Disney's feature animation story development program. There's no word yet on whether or not he'll actually write the script.

Disney, who are in the process of setting up their own digital animation unit in Glendale, California, hopes to lure talented animators to their studio at the trade show.

Their second non-Pixar CG film, Chicken Little, opens on November 4th.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Toy Story 3' to be retooled at Pixar

The Walt Disney Co. will scrap production of the latest "Toy Story" sequel and hand the project over to Pixar Animation Studios Inc. as part of its deal to acquire Pixar, sources familiar with the situation said on Thursday.

It was not clear how the change would affect the production schedule at Pixar, which has not announced release dates for films beyond the June opening of "Cars."

Disney said on Tuesday it would acquire Pixar in a $7.4 billion stock deal expected to close by this summer.

Production had already started on "Toy Story 3" at Disney's new animation unit in Glendale, California. The unit, dubbed Circle 7, was set up while the two companies were haggling over the terms of a new distribution agreement for Pixar films.

Circle 7 will not immediately be shut down, but its future is yet to be determined, one of the sources said.

Disney's current agreement with Pixar allows it to make sequels to the animated films the two studios made together.

Sequels can be made in three to four years compared with four or five years of development for an original animated film because technical work on most of the characters has already been done.

Former Disney Chief Executive Michael Eisner ordered "Toy Story 3" into production after the two companies broke off talks over a new distribution deal nearly two years ago.

Current Disney CEO Robert Iger, who took over in October, returned all sequel-making to Pixar as part of the merger agreement.

"It was really important to me that the people who made the films originally ... get a shot at making any films that were derivative," Iger told analysts on a conference call earlier this week.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

THAT IS THE BEST NEWS EVER>  except for those employees at Circle 7.  but seriously, i was never going to see that film so this is the best possible thing for Pixar's integrity. 

©brad

so do we like Robert Iger?

MacGuffin

Allen and Hanks Back for Toy Story 3
Source: Coming Soon

Columnists Marilyn Beck and Stacy Jenel Smith caught up with Zoom star Tim Allen who said that he and Tom Hanks will reprise their voices of Buzz Lightyear and Woody, respectively, in Disney/Pixar's Toy Story 3.

"It's going to be great," said Allen. "We have John Lasseter, the original director, and I believe Tom is on board." Allen added that the new version of the story is "stronger" than the previous one.

Disney Chief Executive Robert Iger revealed in May that the studio had started production on the third film. After Disney acquired Pixar, Pixar took over production of Toy Story 3, which Disney's in-house animators had been working on.

Skeleton FilmWorks