Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson (10th feature, TBA)

Started by Montclair, September 21, 2021, 09:35:17 PM

Drenk

He always wants Leo.

But unfortunately, Leo knows he'll retire once he stars in a financial flop. Maybe he's ready?

(I don't always dislike the guy, so why not?)
Ascension.

Lempwick

Quote from: Drenk on December 15, 2022, 09:43:09 PMHe always wants Leo.

But unfortunately, Leo knows he'll retire once he stars in a financial flop. Maybe he's ready?

(I don't always dislike the guy, so why not?)

By some standards Body of Lies or Revolutionary Road or J. Edgar were that (though I don't agree).  But if you mean a real $2 million opening weekend type flop, I don't think that's in the cards for Leo until he's like 70. 

HACKANUT

Don't forget about Don't Look Up. That's gotta be near the top of biggest Leo flops. Only made about 10% of its budget back. He's clearly not SUPER worried about B.O. just awards.

Yes

Quote from: HACKANUT on December 16, 2022, 03:47:28 PMDon't forget about Don't Look Up. That's gotta be near the top of biggest Leo flops. Only made about 10% of its budget back. He's clearly not SUPER worried about B.O. just awards.

I mean... it was a Netflix movie lol. It was always gonna lose money. It's not physically possible to regroup. It's all about subscribers and site traffic anyway. I also doubt he cares much about awards anymore either since he didn't attend the SAG or BAFTAs when he was last nominated. I think he just wants to work with the big name directors (Scorsese, QT, Clint Eastwood) or do projects he personally relates to (Don't Look Up with climate change). Most of the time those do converge.

PTA is certainly a name Leo would love to add to his resume but we'll see

kingfan011

I wonder if PTA is even slightly worried considering the performance Babylon which is turning out to be a disaster on the level on Heaven's Gate

Heisenberg

Speaking of Babylon, I feel like there is an essay to be written on how it and Boogie Nights are almost literally the exact same film set in different time periods. I even noticed entire sequences that were, almost shot for shot, identical to moments in Boogie Nights. Between that and La La Land often referencing PDL, I think its safe to say that PTA is a huge influence on Damien Chazelle. But yeah, unfortunately the performance of Babylon and The Fabelmans has me a bit concerned about these kinds of films continuing to get theatrical releases in the future.

WorldForgot

Well considering an AppleTV movie got Best Picture, it wouldn't be far fetched to imagine a scenario where a film of his gets predominately streaming-positioned and still scores noms.

Drenk

You know the line: "Somehow Palpatine has returned."

You can adapt that line to PTA's career. He hasn't made money for studios in a while. That's business as usual for our guy.

As long as movies other than blockbusters will be released in theaters, he'll get his movies there. He can use the limited release to delay streaming, too.

I'm curious about the budget of his next movie, though. Forty millions for Licorice Pizza seems wild in 2020. He may get more money...somehow...
Ascension.

Find Your Magali

We're definitely at the point where PTA is to other directors what Altman was to PTA.
That said, Altman was 54 (2 years old than PTA is now) when he made arguably his peak film (Nashville).
One of Altman's strengths was possibly one of PTA's weak points: Capturing the zeitgeist of the now.
Or is the NOW just too absurd and decisive, compared to, say, 1975, for it to be tackled on film in a way other than how Rian Johnson comments upon it.

WorldForgot

I feel like we're definitely seeing the now reflected in a myriad of succesful filmmakers. Hamaguchi, Safdies, Petzold, Joachim Trier, Noe, there's definitely a long list that could be drawn up I think.

Maybe just not from PTA's generation? That 90s bunch does seem to trade in period pieces often lately. But I also think it must be a treat to recreate other time periods with care when you can get that budget. 

Lots of Bees

I know this guy is not necessarily the most trustworthy so sorry for bumping this but still... felt worth mentioning.

https://twitter.com/theinsneider/status/1628909087378538496?s=46&t=214hBO7bYqfjDVDOImI8Bw

Yes

Quote from: Lots of Bees on February 23, 2023, 07:51:01 PMI know this guy is not necessarily the most trustworthy so sorry for bumping this but still... felt worth mentioning.

https://twitter.com/theinsneider/status/1628909087378538496?s=46&t=214hBO7bYqfjDVDOImI8Bw

Sneider confirms that the film is indeed a father/daughter story and daughter is involved in martial arts (ala the casting call report). He THEORIZES Greene appears briefly ala Cooper in Licorice Pizza training the daughter considering she is/was indeed a trainer at Crossfit. He mentions the rumors heard such as its about current GOP state cannot be confirmed

RudyBlatnoyd

DiCaprio as some sort of sleazy, disreputable GOP candidate/representative would no doubt be amazing.

jviness02

I think the chances are higher that there is a character inspired by her than actually having her in the film, though he was fine using Peters and Wachs in name.

Find Your Magali

If any of these grains are true, do we still think there's a chance Denzel could be the father? That was the vibe that just seemed to have the greatest legs during the past year, given the amount of mutual respect they've displayed. Denzel strikes me as absolutely being at the point where he chooses roles/collaborators he's passionate about, above anything else.