Paul Thomas Anderson/Robert Altman/Harry Nilsson

Started by Mesh, May 19, 2003, 11:27:45 AM

Mesh

Yeah, the PTA/Altman connection has been done to death here, I'm sure.  Magnolia is Shortcuts for all intents and purposes, climactic natural disaster ending included.

But did you realize that the connection deepens with regard to Harry Nilsson?

You know, that "Lime in the Coconut" guy, that 60s/70s pop/rock singer/songwriter Harry Nilsson?  That "Everybody's Talkin' At Me" Guy...you know the one.

A few things about PTA/Altman/Nilsson:

1.  Nilsson wrote most of and sang some of the songs from Robert Altman's Popeye.

2.  Nilsson wrote the song "One."

3.  PTA used Aimee Mann's cover of "One" in Magnolia, his homage to Altman and specifically to Short Cuts.

4.  PTA used "He Needs Me," a song written for Altman's Popeye by Nilsson, as a jumping off point in he and John Brion's scoring of PTA's follow-up to Magnolia, Punch-Drunk Love.

You guys are more obsessed with PTA than I'll ever be; is there more to add to the PTA/Altman/Nilsson subtext?

Barely relatable note:  Nilsson's "Jump Into The Fire" was used by Scorcese in GoodFellas, a film to which many feel Boogie Nights was PTA's homage.

edit: originally posted in "Everything Else" because it deals with PTA and Robert Altman.  Hope it's not buried in the PTA forum.

RussellMANIA

I always thought Magnolia was closer to Nashville than Short Cuts..... either way they are all great flicks.....

PDL and Popeye are coming to DVD on the same day.... yay.

Russell

PTA put me in a movie. or let me hold an extention cord or something...

godardian

Quote from: RussellMANIAI always thought Magnolia was closer to Nashville than Short Cuts..... either way they are all great flicks.....

PTA called Magnolia "Short Cuts on speed." I prefer Nashville to Short Cuts, but they're all of a type, I suppose.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

RussellMANIA

i like nashville.... it's funny ... the elliot gould cameo.... the way the characters are introduced is fun.... and the mock cover art or crappy tv commercial intro .....

RegularKarate

That really only counts as 2 connections to Schmilson

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: MeshYeah, the PTA/Altman connection has been done to death here, I'm sure.  Magnolia is Shortcuts for all intents and purposes, climactic natural disaster ending included.

You know, that "Lime in the Coconut" guy, that 60s/70s pop/rock singer/songwriter Harry Nilsson?  That "Everybody's Talkin' At Me" Guy...you know the one.

1.  Nilsson wrote and sang most of the songs from Robert Altman's Popeye.

3.  PTA used Aimee Mann's cover of "One" in Magnolia, his homage to Altman and specifically to Short Cuts.

4.  PTA used "He Needs Me," a song written for Altman's Popeye by Nilsson, as a jumping off point in he and John Brion's scoring of PTA's follow-up to Magnolia, Punch-Drunk Love.

You guys are more obsessed with PTA than I'll ever be; is there more to add to the PTA/Altman/Nilsson subtext?

Barely relatable note:  Nilsson's "Jump Into The Fire" was used by Scorcese in GoodFellas, a film to which many feel Boogie Nights was PTA's homage.

edit: originally posted in "Everything Else" because it deals with PTA and Robert Altman.  Hope it's not buried in the PTA forum.

Nice work Mesh.  I was not aware.
I think you hit all of the points there pal. :)
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: MeshYeah, the PTA/Altman connection has been done to death here, I'm sure.  Magnolia is Shortcuts for all intents and purposes, climactic natural disaster ending included.

1.  Nilsson wrote most of and sang some of the songs from Robert Altman's Popeye.

boy that was reaching

string a few coinidences and make a post

my fav part was the jump into the fire part, what the fuck did that have to do with pta

i am not dissing you, i just thought the post was funny

Mesh

Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackMan

boy that was reaching

string a few coinidences and make a post

my fav part was the jump into the fire part, what the fuck did that have to do with pta

i am not dissing you, i just thought the post was funny

:roll:

Congrats.  You're the worst poster on xixax.com and that's really saying something.

edit:  "coinidences"?  "coinidences"?  "coinidences" my fuckin' ball sac.

truth be told, i am more or less the best poster on here

At least my posts are fucking interesting

nice post you spent all day putting together facts that have no link

but out of respect for you

ok i will link the cast of good times to PTA

Ok check this out GOOD TIMES is where a young janet jackson got her big break and then she became a singer

much like J lo

J lo was in the movie enough with juliet lewis who once had lunch with joey slotkik

and joey slotnik is a huge fan of the song " stay" by lisa loeb

and lisa loeb once told entertainment tonight that the movie " magnolia" was " really well done

HA Ive done it !!!!!!!!!! i rule

Sleuth

What's that game that actors play where they do connections like that?
I like to hug dogs

Quote from: tremoloslothWhat's that game that actors play where they do connections like that?

well it was the kevin bacon game but now it belongs to mesh he made it his own, much like sinatra after he sings a song its his

every time someone makes a pointless Link they will think of mesh

Xixax

That was weak, Santa.

It would have been just as effective if you had said "Good Times had a black cast, Buck Swope was black, BOOM I DID IT!"

Let's see if I can do better...

1: Good Times starred John Amos as James Evans, Sr.
2: John Amos later starred in Die Hard 2 with Bruce Willis
3: Bruce Willis was in Pulp Fiction with Samuel L. Jackson.
4: Samuel L. Jackson was, of course, Jimmy in Sydney
5: PTA wrote and directed Sydney.

Now who rules, beeyatch?!?!?!
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Quote from: XixaxThat was weak, Santa.

It would have been just as effective if you had said "Good Times had a black cast, Buck Swope was black, BOOM I DID IT!"

Let's see if I can do better...

1: Good Times starred John Amos as James Evans, Sr.
2: John Amos later starred in Die Hard 2 with Bruce Willis
3: Bruce Willis was in Pulp Fiction with Samuel L. Jackson.
4: Samuel L. Jackson was, of course, Jimmy in Sydney
5: PTA wrote and directed Sydney.

Now who rules, beeyatch?!?!?!

thats why the site is named after you my friend , you da man

but i will say this in my defense , i meant it to look as absurd as it did , it added to my goofing i mean come on joey slotnick and lisa loeb thats pretty great

Xixax

Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackMani meant it to look as absurd as it did , it added to my goofing i mean come on joey slotnick and lisa loeb thats pretty great

Now that you mention it, I think your way is a whole lot more fun!

Let me try another one.

Let's link Barry Manilow with Michael Moore.

1: Barry Manilow is often accused of being gay, but he isn't.
2: People that accuse straight guys of being gay are often big fucking assholes
3: Michael Moore is a big fucking asshole.

Yeah, I'm still da man! Woo!
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Quote from: Xixax
Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackMani meant it to look as absurd as it did , it added to my goofing i mean come on joey slotnick and lisa loeb thats pretty great

Now that you mention it, I think your way is a whole lot more fun!

Let me try another one.

Let's link Barry Manilow with Michael Moore.

1: Barry Manilow is often accused of being gay, but he isn't.
2: People that accuse straight guys of being gay are often big fucking assholes
3: Michael Moore is a big fucking asshole.

Yeah, I'm still da man! Woo!

yeah i do like it better this way

:: trys to figure out a way to connect larry from the three stooges to flava flav::

somehow i need to find a way to mention flavs Big clock