when do i edit?

Started by zerocool41, July 07, 2003, 12:55:18 PM

zerocool41

Ok, i've shot one tape of DV and i'm only filming on weekends...do most people not start editing their film until they have every chunk or is it best to arrange and work at it as you go?  I'm of course thinking what if i get it all in the cmoputer at the end and i'm missing sound in a few places or something...

And...1GB = how many mins of video?
I'm going to lay down a monster hand here.

jasper_window

Edit whenever you want, man.  Wouldn't hurt to get it in.  You may get some inspiration or ideas, etc, from looking at the footage you've shot, or yeah, realize you need something else.  Good luck

aclockworkjj

Quote from: zerocool41And...1GB = how many mins of video?

it varies...but it's about 5min. or so of video

Ghostboy

I always start editing right away...partially because it helps you know whether you need to go back and shoot extra footage or reshoot things that don't work, etc., but mostly because it's so exciting to watch your movie come together! I'll get home from a shoot totallly exhausted, and I'll still manage to capture footage and start throwing it together...

...unless you're shooting on film, of course. Waiting for the processing sucks.

Sal

I edit after "principal" shooting.  Almost always there's something I have to reshoot, so it's probably safer to load it into your comp right away and at least look at it, but I try to go for consecutive shooting days if I can, instead of every weekend.  I think if I did that instead, I'd definitely edit during the week.  But so far the opportunity hasn't presented itself.

TheVoiceOfNick

I usually load the tape into the computer right after shooting, and also make a simultaneous VHS copy of it. I don't touch it until after shooting has ended, but I watch the VHS as dailies... always take notes!

1 hour of DV = 13gb (you do the math from there)

Nick

Recce

i like editing right away. like everyone else said, you can see if you need anything else, but its also great if you can get a good opening sequence done. It motivates me, personally, quite a bit. plus editing is jsut plain cool.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")